oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Savages sweet shop
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I did Morton's so its only fair we mention "Savages" :lol:

In my younger days, we were not allowed to go across the road on our own, so it was a big adventure when we did get over, my memories were of wooden seats and small tables on the right, where the "big boys and girls" would be sitting chatting and drinking coke out of the bottle with straws.

Mary or the mother would be behind the counter, serving and keeping a close eye (and ear) on the ones at the tables, woe betide any one of them that swore or spoke out of place :shock:

I remember the old wooden counter with the glass displays, and like Morton's the rows of jars across the back wall. We would gaze in wonderment at all the expensive sweets we could not afford (those such as raspberry ruffles and chocolate Brazil's etc.) but we were quite happy to settle for 2oz of sherbet lemons, and 2oz of Brandy balls mixed in the same bag.

It used to be bedlam in there when the panto was on at break time :lol: how Mary kept her cool i'll never know :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Follow up by "dude"

The difference between Savages and Morton's was that Savages seem to be for the bigger boys and also it seem to be a meeting place were you could spend hours talking about current issues. I seem to remember I always had to fight my way in to get to the counter squeezing between older boys and girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:35 pm 

This brings back loads of great memories, having to pay money to the SWEAR box if Mary caught you swearing.
As for drinking coke with straws it was the only shop where you could get one bottle and four straws!!! :P
you knew you were getting to be one of the big boys/girls when you could get sitting at the tables.
Only for Mary a lot of young people would have been in trouble as she seemed to be everyone's agony aunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:29 pm 

was talking to Mary Savage this evening telling her all about the stories about her shop on this website. She did not know that their was a photo of her shop. She had some great stories.

Post subject: Re: Savages sweet shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm 

Mary Savage's shop was a haven for the towns teenagers for many years. I was one of the many older boys and girls Brian had to fight his way through to get to the counter. Mary deserves a medal for providing a place which holds so many happy memories for youngsters of my generation. Spent many happy hours in "Marys". We don't often get the opportunity to say thank you to people like Mary who I believe is an unsung hero of our town. So, heres to a very "salubrious" woman who merits our many thanks and best wishes. :flowers: >:d<

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:03 pm 

and 20 HEDGES AND DITCHES AND ANOTHER ONE OF MARYS SAYINGS SWEET VAIL OF AVOCA. :rotfl:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 pm 

and "God give me strength and perseverance" for God only knows I need it! :>