oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Should the windmill be moved
Yes - So as more people can see it. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No - leave it alone. 56%  56%  [ 22 ]
I don't mind as long as it is preserved. 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see the windmill mentioned in the papers today, with suggestions that it should maybe be moved and re-sited into the square so as people can actually see it. I've mixed feelings on this - part of me agrees that it is a very important part of our heritage, and as such should be preserved for future generations, but then moving it? I know its hardly in the most accessible place tucked away as it but should it really be moved or left alone?

Over to you then :D

I've made it simple, only 3 choices Yes, No, and I don't mind as long as it is preserved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm 

Well its only going to go to waste at the back of diamonds where believe it or not some people dont even know about it there. So if it where to be preserved there then people need to be able to see it and since its in such a small cramped space possibly moving it then. Wish it had of been done a lot sooner we would have had more of a windmill.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 pm 

What right does this generation have to even think of moving or removing what is an important part of this town`s history and heritage, and who knows what the future holds. There is a large vacant site adjacent to the remains of the windmill (Liverpool Hotel) and the opportunity is there when the time is right to incorporate both these sites, have a look at what the people of Tralee did with their derelict windmill, what we need is a visionary with money, hard to come by nowadays..................click on this link to see the Tralee Windmill http://www.travelireland.org/kerry/visi ... dmill.html .......................

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 pm 

Good idea , Didnt think of the site beside it that was empty. Though it will probably be turned into flats :[

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm 

I think we have enough flats/apartments and houses to keep us going for many a day, something needed to add to the uniqueness of the town..............

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:31 pm 

So true ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My own personal view is that it should be preserved on site, something I understand will happen now that it has protection under the Historic Monuments and Archaeological Objects Order. (the de-listing takes place to allow that order)

Those pictures are from August last year.

We have mentioned the windmill before

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3875

and in a few other posts as well.

Here is the text from the Newry Democrat 26-01-10

Quote:
by Brian Hyland
ONE of Warrenpoint’s hidden treasures could soon be the town’s centrepiece after being forgotten for over 120 years.

A windmill off Mary Street is presently not visible to the public but played a vital role in the town’s history when it was erected in 1802 to produce flour.

However, 60 years after it was built, it became vacant and in the 1880s it was hidden from view when the frontage of the Square was demolished and replaced by the present terrace of commercial buildings.

Now the windmill, which features on the town’s GAA club crest, may be given a new lease of life.

The Northern Ireland Environment Agency is in the process of de-listing the historic building and giving it a higher level of protection under the Historic Monuments and Archaeological Objects Order.

And members of Warrenpoint, Burren and Rostrevor Chamber of Commerce (WBR) and local representatives discussed the possibility of using it as a tourist attraction and is the possible relocation to a prominent site at a meeting on Thursday morning.

“The windmill is being changed from an historical building to an historical monument so there’s a stronger safeguard on it,” said councillor Michael Ruane.

“Not everyone in the town may be aware of it. It has been hidden away for years, but we had a meeting about it and, although it’s early stages, we are going to investigate opportunities to do something with it.

“We are looking into the possibility of re-siting it so that it is accessible to the public because there is no point in having it and it being hidden away from view.”

The windmill stood at 68 foot with eight levels when built but now stands at just over 30 foot with only four floors.

When operating, the windmill was well placed to harness energy from strong gusts blowing in from Carlingford Lough. During calmer weather the windmill was powered by a steam engine.

Jim Boylan, vice chair of Warrenpoint, Burren and Rostrevor Chamber, suggested that the windmill could be relocated to the centre of The Square, making it the town’s centrepiece.

“It has been talked about before,” he said. “It played a major role in the town in the maritime history of the town. It produced flour and corn which then was taken to the nearby docks to be transported to England and further afield.

“When it was built in 1802 that was the centre of the town and there wasn’t much around it. The main thing now is that it is safeguarded by the new legislation.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:07 pm 

I'm not sure what to think of that article....moving the windmill !!! At first it had me checking the date to check it was not April 1st but then another side of me thinks it would be good to see it restored.......I suppose by the time all the relevant feasibility studies etc. are completed and sources of finance found........there could be many more Newry Democrat's published !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:06 pm 

Keep the Windmill on the original site. This historical building is on the original site and should be refurbished on the site. Of course, the over all picture should be examined. If the building is delaying development necessary for the common good then I feel other options should be considered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 pm 

northbrook wrote:
What right does this generation have to even think of moving or removing what is an important part of this town`s history and heritage, and who knows what the future holds. There is a large vacant site adjacent to the remains of the windmill (Liverpool Hotel) and the opportunity is there when the time is right to incorporate both these sites, have a look at what the people of Tralee did with their derelict windmill, what we need is a visionary with money, hard to come by nowadays..................click on this link to see the Tralee Windmill http://www.travelireland.org/kerry/visi ... dmill.html .......................

I agree with Northbrook, the Liverpool Hotel site would make an excellent site for some sort of visitor centre but as you can see from the photo the windmill is a bit land-locked. Maybe Dessi McVeigh or Hugh Murray might down-size a bit to allow access!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm 

I agree entirely with Northbrook on this one ( and I have mentioned elsewhere the wonderful windmill at Blennerville, Co. Kerry). We have no right to move it and the historical significance of any future renovation is dependent upon it retaining its original location.

It's a real shame that planning was ever given to the surrounding buildings to the extent whereby it has become virtually landlocked and inaccessible. There is little evidence of any consideration having been given by those who sought planning permission in its vicinity nor by those who granted it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:51 am 

I have to agree with those advocating preserving the windmill on its original site. Indeed, this could be an opportunity for a complete review of how Warrenpoint can preserve and present its history. Instead of just looking at the windmill, interested parties could explore ways of making available more space at or near it to showcase Warrenpoint's total history. The years of the Great Hunger saw thousands who came to the port to spread throughout the world, especially North America. That is an important element of how Warrenpoint grew and prospered. This could become a significant resource for schools as well as the general public not to mention overseas visitors.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 am 

....just another little thought about any proposal to move the windmill......I'm all in favour of restoring the building, if not to a working windmill at least restoring the outer construction and sails ....but why destroy heritage (i.e. our fine square) by moving it there ! I think the idea is crazy !!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:47 pm 

Excellent location for an art Gallery for the local artists to display their work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

George Williamson wrote:
Excellent location for an art Gallery for the local artists to display their work.

Thats a good idea George....and I do agree with Pat over when exactly any progress will be made..I would`nt be holding my breath!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm 

I would like to see the windmill restored on its original site.
If it were to be restored to it's original height (68 ft) it would be visible above the other buildings and would I think be an asset to the town but access to it would be a major issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:41 pm 

It would be nice to have it restored on
the original site.
I couldn't see it being placed in the
Square.
You would lose a lot of parking spaces.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:40 pm 

Was chatting with Jim Boylan earlier today and he says the report had mis-quoted him with regard to the windmill. Jim does not believe the original windmill should be moved at all. He is glad it has been afforded some degree of protection. He goes on the say that his original suggestion had been that with plans afoot to fix / restore the public toilets in the square perhaps consideration could be given to re-creating the windmill ...as a toursit attraction.....perhaps in the Square, if it could be done without ruining the square. He does not believe the original windmill should be moved at all !

Post subject: Windmill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 pm 

When i stayed in the Boat House Hotel my room was at the rear ad looked on to what i now know to be the Windmill,it should be saved.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 pm 

I think it should be left where it is, in the 60's you could get to it behind the Crown Hotel, I used to visit Bridie O'hare (she was a great friend of my Mums) and you could get out to it from their back yard (now known as Raffles) Any other accesses available?. Could WBR not apply for a Lottery grant to subsidize the work necessary to make the windmill a historic site?? Perhaps enough could be given to acquire the Liverpool Hotel site and build the aforementioned heritage site??