Entrance to......

Articles, pictures and photographs of the working places of Warrenpoint. From shops, to pubs hotels & clubs and everything in-between
This section is kindly sponsored by The Whistledown Hotel Warrenpoint
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Entrance to......

#1 Post by Brian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:25 pm

:?:

local lass

Re: Entrance to......

#2 Post by local lass » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Is this old Jameson School, where Jameson Court is now?

Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Brian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Nope

try again :mrgreen:

btq1

#4 Post by btq1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:15 pm

near the church of ireland

northbrook

#5 Post by northbrook » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:57 pm

The old windmill ?

Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Brian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:01 pm

northbrook wrote:The old windmill ?

Correct and right :D

northbrook

#7 Post by northbrook » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 pm

I suppose I had some kind of an advantage here, having helped Bobby Reoch load Mathers horse and cart here in the early fifties. Mathers grocers used the bottom part of the mill as a store and Bobby rode around the `Point on the horse and cart delivering the groceries, I suppose you could say he was the precursor of Tescos and Mace.

ec1968
My real name: Eúnan Carr

#8 Post by ec1968 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Why is this not a historical monument, cleaned up and opened up for the public to access?

And, while I'm on a rant, when was that end of Mary Street given over for the sole use of Eurospar's delivery lorries - have you ever tried to get up or down the street during the day?

bornandbred

#9 Post by bornandbred » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:51 pm

ec1968 wrote: And, while I'm on a rant, when was that end of Mary Street given over for the sole use of Eurospar's delivery lorries - have you ever tried to get up or down the street during the day?
Don't start me on this one! Every time I drive into Mary St to find it blocked I swear I'll never try again - but I do! The shops in that part of the street don't like it much either, especially the Boylans. Some of these days I'm going to ring the traffic police & ask them why delivery lorries are above the law.....or maybe I won't, I'd probably have the Chamber of Commerce gunning for me! Money rules, ok!

forest wall

#10 Post by forest wall » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 am

That passageway used to give access to the rear of the Genoa Cafe- we used it in the 40's to deliver spuds and milk to Bene from Moygannon!

whitestar

#11 Post by whitestar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am

forest wall wrote:That passageway used to give access to the rear of the Genoa Cafe- we used it in the 40's to deliver spuds and milk to Bene from Moygannon!

It still was a back entrance to the genoa in the '70s ( and therefore may still be today :?: ) we used to see the spuds getting delivered and watch as one of the employees ( forget the guy's name, local, heavy set guy with glasses ;--) ) would put wholes bags into a machine that would wash them, peel them and cut them into the perfect size chips..... still haven't tasted anything like the chips from the genoa - they were the BEST :D

Liz

#12 Post by Liz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:17 pm

whitestar wrote:
forest wall wrote:That passageway used to give access to the rear of the Genoa Cafe- we used it in the 40's to deliver spuds and milk to Bene from Moygannon!

It still was a back entrance to the genoa in the '70s ( and therefore may still be today :?: ) we used to see the spuds getting delivered and watch as one of the employees ( forget the guy's name, local, heavy set guy with glasses ;--) ) would put wholes bags into a machine that would wash them, peel them and cut them into the perfect size chips..... still haven't tasted anything like the chips from the genoa - they were the BEST :D
The back entrance into the Genoa is still there Whitestar. Are you talking about John Magee, if so, he still works there. :>

whitestar

#13 Post by whitestar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Liz Weir wrote:
whitestar wrote:

The back entrance into the Genoa is still there Whitestar. Are you talking about John Magee, if so, he still works there. :>

YES - John Magee ( wow !!! - he's been there forever - guess that's why the chips have always been of a consistently high quality :mrgreen: )

Return to “Factories, Shops, Offices & Other Buildings”