oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:09 am 

Earlier this year I was contacted by my cousin in Kingston Ontario Canada to help him locate the grave of Sgt.Romeo Louis Dubuc. Romeo L. Dubuc was one of many airmen who lost their lives during World War II on the Cooley/Carlingford mountains, twenty three in all, according to the records, a fact which surprised me. Three airmen lost their lives in this crash, the pilot R.L.Dubac and the radio officer S.R. Kenny. Both Canadian airmen were interred in St.Marys cemetery Newry

The following Vet of the Month story is very special. First, the circumstances surrounding our Vet’s death allow us to recall once again the bravery of members of the Force in the roles they played in World War II. This story is also poignant because our August Vet joined the Force on August 19, 1931. He died tragically 10 years later.

Data on the RCMP Graves Location and Maintenance Program allowed Kingston Vet Reg.# 17023 Jack Hickman to begin his search of the grave of our Vet of the Month. He search was successful and his research in Ireland adds significantly to previous work done by Vet Reg.# 16721 Jack White in Kamloops, BC. The story of our August Vet of the Month would be incomplete without the help of both of these dedicated Vets.

Collaboration among RCMP Vets through the National Graves databank is allowing more of our Vets’ stories to be told and memories to be honoured.

This month our Vet of the Month is Sgt. Louis Romeo Dubuc, Reg. #10982, RCMP Honour Roll #69. His story is being released on the 77th anniversary of Sgt. Dubuc’s joining the Force.

Our August 2008 story begins with the following letter which I received from Kingston Vet Jack Hickman.

Dear Joe: Re: Sgt. L. R. Dubuc

You will recall that we exchanged e-mails a couple of months ago, specifically regarding links to our Kingston Vets website.

About that time I was browsing through your database and I spotted the entry for the captionally noted Sgt. Dubuc.

What particularly caught my eye was the fact that he was buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Newry, Northern Ireland. I was in the planning stages of a trip to Ireland at that time, and my cousin, whom I intended to visit, lives about ten miles from Newry.

With his help, we located the cemetery and the grave site and I took a couple of pictures of the site and the markers.

The grave is very well kept, typical of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission work, and according to the cemetery staff, each November a poppy is placed on the grave. There is no reference on his marker as to his service in the Force.

Unfortunately due to lack of contrast, the writing on the stone is practically illegible in the photos, but the plot contains two graves, the other being for one “Kenny”, evidently a crew man on the aircraft piloted by Dubuc. Both stones contain the insignia of the RCAF, and Dubuc’s stone describes him as “Lieutenant de Section” (French for Flight Lieutenant).

The following website: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/crashes.htm
contains a list of all aircraft crashes during the Second World War in the Irish Free State (now the Republic of Ireland) which was neutral at that time.

Dubuc’s aircraft crashed in County Louth and I would expect his remains were transferred for burial in Newry, in Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom.
Jack Hickman
Kingston Vets

Vet Jack White of Kamloops, BC adds other background details to this story.

Sgt. Dubuc served in the RCMP from August 19, 1931 until his death at Dundalk, Ireland on September 27, 1941. He served in "D", "K", "C" and "G" Divisions and was a pilot in the Air Section.

In its 2nd year of existence (1938) the RCMP ‘Aviation Section’ comprised 10 members; Reg. # O.297 Michelson, #11780 Fraser, #11296 Cox, #10982 Dubuc, #11830 Grant, #12099 Gray, #10927 McNeil, #11169 Swaney, #12835 McClellan & Radio Operator W. Elliott.

On November 20, 1939, with the recent outbreak of World War II, he was temporarily transferred to the Ferry Command of the RCAF to move aircraft across the Atlantic to Great Britain. On September 27, 1941 he left Canada flying a new Hudson bomber with two other crew members.

They fought storms all the way across the Atlantic and then, low on fuel over Ireland, faced dense fog. Attempting a landing at Dundalk, the aircraft struck some obstruction and crashed killing the three crew members. Sgt. Dubuc was buried at Newry, North Ireland.

Dubuc Crescent, ‘Depot’ Division RCMP, Regina, Saskatchewan was named in honour of Reg. #10982 Sergeant Louis Romeo Dubuc, RCMP who is on the RCMP’s Honour Roll #69.

This article was written with written permission from RCMP Vets Jack Hickman and Jack White.
A good picture of Sgt. Dubuc appears in Canadian author Robert Knuckle’s book: In the Line of Duty, Volume II: From Fort Macleod to Mayerthorpe (Honour Roll of the RCMP). General Store Publishing. Renfrew, Ontario p. 65

J. J. (Joe) Healy
Reg. #23685

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 am 

Sgt. Romeo Louis Dubuc`s grave in St.Mary`s Cemetery Newry N.Ireland

Radio Officer S.R.Kenny Canada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:31 am 

Great bit of work there northbrook..well done!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 pm 

Northbrook - I read with interest the plight of Sgt. Dubuc and Radio Officer Kenny.
Their graves are well maintained in Newry and look like they haven't been forgotten.
I wasn't aware of the number of Servicemen who lost their lives in that area.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:23 pm 

Very poignant story.................and followed up very sensitively Northbrook.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:37 pm 

Sad reading indeed...I can just make out the age on the 2nd headstone...22 years of age...makes one think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:00 am 

Well done there, NB! I am sure there are many Canadians who will appreciate what you and your cousin have done to commemorate this young veteran.
From Commonwealth War Graves:
DUBUC, LOUIS ROMEO
Initials: L R
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
Date of Death: 27/09/1941
Service No: C/1520
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: New ground. Sec. J. Grave 16.
Cemetery: NEWRY OLD CHAPEL ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY

You might want to see Joe Healy's entry and your photos on the RCMP site:
http://www.rcmpgraves.com/vetcorner/vetmonth-aug.html

Last edited by Brian on Wed May 20, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
updated link to archived site

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:34 am 

Many thanks SLG for the link to the additional material, a very satisfying and interesting project..... ......................

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:01 am 

What a wonderful, touching piece of history. Well done Northbrook! This must have made an interesting journey for you to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:16 am 

The thanks must go to my cousin Jack Hickman in Kingston Ontario who brought it to my attention, I was more than happy to have been of some assistance................I`m sure that over the years many people have stood at this grave and wondered, now at least some of us know a bit more about the two Canadian airmen buried in an Irish graveyard.......................

The other airman who perished in that crash was Sgt Frederick James GOODWIN 1162826 , no further information.........................................

Thanks also to the staff of the Parish Office in Newry for their assistance...............................................

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:19 am 

northbrook wrote:
Earlier this year I was contacted by my cousin in Kingston Ontario Canada to help him locate the grave of Sgt.Romeo Louis Dubuc. Romeo L. Dubuc was one of many airmen who lost their lives during World War II on the Cooley/Carlingford mountains, twenty three in all, according to the records, a fact which surprised me. Three airmen lost their lives in this crash, the pilot R.L.Dubac and the radio officer S.R. Kenny. Both Canadian airmen were interred in St.Marys cemetery Newry

The following Vet of the Month story is very special. First, the circumstances surrounding our Vet’s death allow us to recall once again the bravery of members of the Force in the roles they played in World War II. This story is also poignant because our August Vet joined the Force on August 19, 1931. He died tragically 10 years later.

Data on the RCMP Graves Location and Maintenance Program allowed Kingston Vet Reg.# 17023 Jack Hickman to begin his search of the grave of our Vet of the Month. He search was successful and his research in Ireland adds significantly to previous work done by Vet Reg.# 16721 Jack White in Kamloops, BC. The story of our August Vet of the Month would be incomplete without the help of both of these dedicated Vets.

Collaboration among RCMP Vets through the National Graves databank is allowing more of our Vets’ stories to be told and memories to be honoured.

This month our Vet of the Month is Sgt. Louis Romeo Dubuc, Reg. #10982, RCMP Honour Roll #69. His story is being released on the 77th anniversary of Sgt. Dubuc’s joining the Force.

Our August 2008 story begins with the following letter which I received from Kingston Vet Jack Hickman.

Dear Joe: Re: Sgt. L. R. Dubuc

You will recall that we exchanged e-mails a couple of months ago, specifically regarding links to our Kingston Vets website.

About that time I was browsing through your database and I spotted the entry for the captionally noted Sgt. Dubuc.

What particularly caught my eye was the fact that he was buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Newry, Northern Ireland. I was in the planning stages of a trip to Ireland at that time, and my cousin, whom I intended to visit, lives about ten miles from Newry.

With his help, we located the cemetery and the grave site and I took a couple of pictures of the site and the markers.

The grave is very well kept, typical of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission work, and according to the cemetery staff, each November a poppy is placed on the grave. There is no reference on his marker as to his service in the Force.

Unfortunately due to lack of contrast, the writing on the stone is practically illegible in the photos, but the plot contains two graves, the other being for one “Kenny”, evidently a crew man on the aircraft piloted by Dubuc. Both stones contain the insignia of the RCAF, and Dubuc’s stone describes him as “Lieutenant de Section” (French for Flight Lieutenant).

The following website: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/crashes.htm
contains a list of all aircraft crashes during the Second World War in the Irish Free State (now the Republic of Ireland) which was neutral at that time.

Dubuc’s aircraft crashed in County Louth and I would expect his remains were transferred for burial in Newry, in Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom.
Jack Hickman
Kingston Vets

Vet Jack White of Kamloops, BC adds other background details to this story.

Sgt. Dubuc served in the RCMP from August 19, 1931 until his death at Dundalk, Ireland on September 27, 1941. He served in "D", "K", "C" and "G" Divisions and was a pilot in the Air Section.

In its 2nd year of existence (1938) the RCMP ‘Aviation Section’ comprised 10 members; Reg. # O.297 Michelson, #11780 Fraser, #11296 Cox, #10982 Dubuc, #11830 Grant, #12099 Gray, #10927 McNeil, #11169 Swaney, #12835 McClellan & Radio Operator W. Elliott.

On November 20, 1939, with the recent outbreak of World War II, he was temporarily transferred to the Ferry Command of the RCAF to move aircraft across the Atlantic to Great Britain. On September 27, 1941 he left Canada flying a new Hudson bomber with two other crew members.

They fought storms all the way across the Atlantic and then, low on fuel over Ireland, faced dense fog. Attempting a landing at Dundalk, the aircraft struck some obstruction and crashed killing the three crew members. Sgt. Dubuc was buried at Newry, North Ireland.

Dubuc Crescent, ‘Depot’ Division RCMP, Regina, Saskatchewan was named in honour of Reg. #10982 Sergeant Louis Romeo Dubuc, RCMP who is on the RCMP’s Honour Roll #69.

This article was written with written permission from RCMP Vets Jack Hickman and Jack White.
A good picture of Sgt. Dubuc appears in Canadian author Robert Knuckle’s book: In the Line of Duty, Volume II: From Fort Macleod to Mayerthorpe (Honour Roll of the RCMP). General Store Publishing. Renfrew, Ontario p. 65

J. J. (Joe) Healy
Reg. #23685

Hello,

The Third Member of the crew was Sgt. Frederick James Goodwin of Smethwick. He was my father's cousin. He is buried in Uplands cemetery in Smethwick. (Birmingham England). Before returning to England, he had told his parents he had some news for them. He was going to tell them he married in Canada. This occured two weeks before the crash occured. I have photos of him and his grave.

Yvonne.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 pm 

Hello Yvonne and welcome to our site, I hope the information we have gathered together regarding those three airmen has been of use to you and your family..................between all of us we have brought some kind of closure to that terrible incident that happened more than sixty years ago. As a matter of interest Jack Hickman RCMP (retired) who instigated this search will be in Ireland to visit me next week and will lay the RCMP flag on the graves .............................

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:00 pm 

Hi again,

I think it's a great site and it was so nice to see Frederick Goodwin's name on it. There is nobody left in England, but when I go there I always go to his grave with flowers. There is always poppies there too. We were wondering who was putting them there until I read your information that CWGC does it.

Thanks again,

Yvonne.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 pm 

Hi Yvonne, another piece of information re. Fredrick Goodwin from Rootsweb .................................

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ario9.html

Sgt FREDERICK J GOODWIN RAF 1162826 beloved husband of ADELINE PEACOCK killed on active service September 27 1941, aged 20 years..........................was he only a few weeks married ?

Northbrook

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:01 am 

Hi,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, Fred and Adeline were only married 2 weeks when he was killed. I believe Adeline remarried sometime after the war ended. She visited Fred's sister many times in England. I have never been able to find her and as the rest of the family have now gone I don't think I will.

Best Wishes,

Yvonne.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 pm 

Jack Hickman RCMP placing the Mounties flag on the grave of Sergeant Romeo Louis Dubuc, St.Mary`s cemetery Newry.

Graves of Canadian airmen RL Dubuc pilot and SR Kenny radio officer, killed in action Cooley Mts 1941

Jack Hickman and his wife June, Kingston Ontario,Canada ................................................

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:57 am 

Northbrook - that is a lovely gesture by
Mr. Hickman to keep the memory of
R.Louis Dubuc alive.
I hope he and his wife enjoy their holiday.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:57 am 

It's really nice to see these picture Northbrook ,and to know that these brave men haven't been forgotten.
As you know,I met Jack yesterday in the Whistledown..............a lovely man.I believe he is leaving today for Athlone?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 pm 

Yes Joanne they left today for Longford then Athlone and finally Ennis, I suppose you could say `mission accomplished` the Mounties certainly show great respect for their fallen comrades ...................................................

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 am 

Hello Northbrook,

I have a photo of Frederick Goodwin's grave if you would like a copy of it to go with the other two men.

Regards,

Yvonne.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 am 

Yes please Yvonne, I was going to suggest that................you can post it yourself on photobucket or I can do it for you if you like ............... I will send you my email address.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:51 pm 

Hello Folks,

I sat down tonight to type up some notes on this crash and then discovered this thread. Anyway, I've added a file to my website, the one linked above with crashes of aircraft in Ireland during the 1939-1945 period, note not all were 'crashes', some were just emergency landings.

The link to the file is:
http://www.skynet.ie/~dan/war/ae577.pdf

Hope the link works.

I also found two family trees with Samuel R Kenny on them on ancestry.com so hopefully they can add something to your thread. There is a small photo of him in Carl Christies book, Ocean Bridge.

Added by edit:
L R Dubuc's log book(s) seems to be in the british national Archives:

Catalogue reference: AIR 4/27
Rank and Name: F/Lt. L.R. Dubuc, Remarks: Logs show experience with Royal Canadian Mounted Police Aviation Section and transfer to R.A.F. in January 1940.
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

more anon

Dennis Burke
Dublin, Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 pm 

I am the neice of Samuel Kenny, wireless operator, killed in the crash with Pilot R. Dubuc Sept.1941.
Sam was born in Nova Scotia, Canada in 1918. He served in the RCMP from apr.197-Apr.1939 as wireless operator.
He joined Ferry Command in Apr. 1941. Sam was one of 10 children,born to Calvin and Annie Kenny. Seven of the eight boys served in Canadian Merchant Marine, Air Force, Navy, Ferry Command and Government. Luckily only Sam lost his life.
Catherine Kenny Levac
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 am 

Many thanks for the additional information, I hope you take some comfort in the fact that these Canadian Airmen so tragically killed have not been forgotten....................................

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:21 am 

Good work, NB. Nice to have been able to commemorate these young men and then have some responses from family members.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 pm 

From our records 4 war planes crashed in the North Louth area...
Dec 1940 an Raf Miles Master crashed near Dungooley Cross near the border,
Sept 1941Canadian Lockheed Hudsoncrashed at Aghameen,
March 1942Raf Liberator bomber crashed at Jenkinstown,
Sept 1944 American Mustang fighter crashed at Dawstown,
My dad has a pic of 6 crew men from the Liberator bomber A.L.577 taked before they left Fayid Cario 14.03.42 .
he has it framed on the wall...if you are local im sure you would be welcome to see it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hi Northbrook, Super piece of sleuthing. Have you any data on the aircraft that collided over the Point in the early forties?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm 

Hi George, that crash is well documented here on the forum................viewtopic.php?f=11&t=185&p=49072&hilit=crash+over+warrenpoint#p49072

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 am 

Hi Northbrook, thank you again. I was in Belfast with my mother that day. Going up Grafton Street on the tram a ticker tape on screen told the story. "Two air planes colllide over warrenpoint"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 am 

HI George, funny; we all remember where we were and what we were doing that day (a bit like the day Kennedy was shot). I was standing in our porch watching with the rest of the family and Smiler McGuigan, had a grandstand view of the whole thing. Of course the minute it happened Smiler and I were off like a shot with my mother in hot pursuit, she never caught us, a very sad day for the three guys who were killed .......................................