oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mathers Shop
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mathers Shop
(this was a "sub topic" in another thread, so i thought I might as well split it into a new one)

nkrumah

"Mather's" had a distinct pleasant smell that you just don't get these days in supermarkets. Can't now place the ingredients, maybe the bacon slicer on the counter and tea or coffee somewhere.

Round the corner and up Church Street a bit the Cahill family had the sides of beef pork and lamb hanging on the hooks in the shop , sawdust on the floor, and had to chase a dog or two out occasionally. same as all butchers then.

dukestreet

When I was the delivery boy for R.G. Mathers, also on the staff was Dawn Annett, now Mrs. Murphy, Clermont Gdns.mother of Nigel, Ian and Alison. Hilary McCoy who still lives up by Clonallon Church, and is the aunt of Elaine Holmes, site commentator now domiciled in England. Last but not least Sam Ferguson from Sandy St. in Newry, Poor old Sam had a sad end, he was knocked down going to his work. Johnny Marsh, Donaghguy, was the van driver. When Johnny left to take up a position with the Civil Service (?) Melvin McKee from Kilkeel took over van driving duties. Paddy'Spudio' Hosier, a real 'character' was also employed here,when he would return from his sojourns in England, those memories of Paddy Hosier and the antics he got up to, should be put into a book. Paddy lives in London nowadays and is not in the best of health. I wish him well.
Getting out in the van delivering cattle food to farmers all around the country was a great part of the job.
Melvin McKee married Violet Campbell, Wee Ernie's daughter. Ernie Campbell lived in a house up above St. Marks School, I could be corrected here, but was this not the original Orange Hall?

coolbawn/forthroad

You are right there Hugh, Ernie Campbells house was the old orange hall many years ago i can always remember my father telling me that. Violet Campbell was always in our house she was great friends with my mother. I could be wrong here Hugh can remember my father telling me that your dad Franks (god rest him ) best man was one of the Ried brothers. I listen to my fathers stories all the time some you could never print and some the tears run down my eyes with laughter, and you know in most of them they start like this, Dan McKevitt, Frank Heatley and myself.

St louis guy

Paddy (Spudio) Hosier was indeed a character. He was also one of the toughest fighters I have ever seen. It was not a good thing to cross him. Spudio had a knack of seeing the "fun" side of life and going for it. Sorry to hear that he is not too well.

Post subject: Re: Mathers Shop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:34 pm 

Had hoped to see Hilary and Dorothy Mc Coy when I came home for our Jennifer's (Brown)wedding but not to be. Glad they are both well. Jonny Marsh had a younger sister - any news of her?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 pm 

Pauline Reardon wrote:
Had hoped to see Hilary and Dorothy Mc Coy when I came home for our Jennifer's (Brown)wedding but not to be. Glad they are both well. Jonny Marsh had a younger sister - any news of her?

Wendy Marsh married Dr. Warde (GP in Bessbrook) and has two children I think. She lives near Bessbrook.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:31 pm 

Pauline Walker, here I was thinking you were Pauline Bailey. Good to see you on the forum!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am 

I'm glad to be here too - its great to visit the past (and present). Did Pauline Bailey live out on the Newry Road just past the Castle gates. I looked for the house when I was home but Kathleen says its long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:26 am 

Yes Pauline, I think you are correct.....

Post subject: Re: Pauline Bailey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:58 pm 

I knew the Bailey family well, Charlie the eldest went into the Merchant Navy in the officer grades, but what happened to Pauline?. Brian was closer to my age and I saw him briefly in the Air Force. He was keen on all kinds of sport and I remember him borrowing a Shot from Ethna Murray's husband who lived in Miss McQuillan's house at the top of the Mount Road, just opposite Menauls. Hopefully they are all doing well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:52 pm 

That would have been Mickey Jennings, who was a champion shot-putter himself ..............................

Pauline has been on the forum , and is included in the Cosmo thread ............................................

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:36 pm 

I think Mickey Jennings married one of the Murray girls from Milltown Street.

Brian Bailey was an outstanding footballer, I last saw him at his father's funeral, I think that was in the late 1970's / early 1980's, I am not sure. I know Charlie Bailey, his father is buried in Omeath, I will find out.