Driving in Dublin 1974

Old video footage (8mm, Super 8, VHS and anything made before 2000) Home videos, TV programs, clips and links and any audio recordings from the radio or personal collections.
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Driving in Dublin 1974

#1 Post by Brian » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Found this on youtube tonight and thought it may bring some memories back for some of you :D

patMG07
My real name: an unusual name...McGivern !

Re: Driving in Dublin 1974

#2 Post by patMG07 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:11 am

A nice find Brian. For me, in my childhood days, a trip to Dublin was a big day out...with McAnulty's Yellow Line being the usual mode of transport. It always had to include the zoo of course. :-):-)

joanne
My real name: Joanne McStay

#3 Post by joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 am

Spotted this myself yesterday,one of the Dublin radio stations posted it on facebook.Brian,you were probably looking at the cars while I was more interested in the clothes people were wearing.No Molly Malone statue at the bottom of Grafton St and the regeneration of Temple Bar had only just begun with the building of the bank on Dame St(The one in front of Blooms Hotel)
What type of vehicle do you think the video makers were driving?

Marion

#4 Post by Marion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 am

This brought me back, Brian. Every so often, my gran, Mrs Campbell of Great Georges Street, used to take my sister and a couple of my cousins (basically as many as could fit into her Triumph Toledo) to stay overnight in Dublin. The highlight of the trip for we kids was to go to Hector Grey's shop and buy lots of toys and art materials that were imported from China. I loved that place - a 'tat' shop I think it would be called these days! Anyone else have memories of it?

I just googled Mr Grey and found him listed in this slightly acerbic site of famous Dubliners...

http://www.mee.tcd.ie/rik/

Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:12 pm

What type of vehicle do you think the video makers were driving?
at a guess a Mini Moke - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

patMG07
My real name: an unusual name...McGivern !

#6 Post by patMG07 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Perhaps a bit unfair, but if you drove through Dublin these days with a camera strapped to the side of your car it would not be there too long !! :-O

Mini Moke -- long time since I 'heard' one of those being mentioned.

As for the clothes Joanne.....I never really stopped wearing 1974 fashion.....it always comes back into vogue every few years ! :rotfl:

Return to “Moving Pictures and Audio tracks”