oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Clanrye Connections
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:22 am 

While clearing out the shed a few days ago I came across an old video tape of a tv programme made by Rowan Hand in the 90's about all the different modes of transport in this area over the years.I am sure a lot of forum members have the same tape knocking about the house............if you have, I would urge you to take the time to watch it again.I had forgotten how good it was.Fantastic coverage of trains, boats,buses and jaunting cars,especially a clip of Tommy Magill.Also Sunday school trips to Warrenpoint from Richill and Portadown.
Anybody else remember this programme?

Post subject: Re: Clanrye Connections
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am 

Our cousin Thomas got this transferred to DVD and kindly gave me a copy............much easier to watch, as you say, very interesting material........................................................................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:32 am 

I have it somewhere too Joanne.....and it even has a brief shot of my mother standing in the middle of a crowd in the square......I have plans to 'hoke' it out and transfer it to DVD as my sisters want a copy .....but I jut need to put my hands on it first.

I also have a copy of the BBC programme about the border counties and smuggling..with Sam McAughtery as presenter..... which of course includes in interview with your father....again I need to 'hoke' it out....just not too sure where the tape is. I am sure you have a copy of it....if not I would gladly make a copy for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:17 am 

I wasnt aware of that programme at all......if any of you really lovely nice people get around to making copies....any chance of bearing me in mind??!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 am 

Eugene wrote:
I wasnt aware of that programme at all......if any of you really lovely nice people get around to making copies....any chance of bearing me in mind??!!!!!!

Eugene,my copy isn't the best but I am sure some body will get you a good quality one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 am 

No problem joanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 am 

patMG07 wrote:
I have it somewhere too Joanne.....and it even has a brief shot of my mother standing in the middle of a crowd in the square......I have plans to 'hoke' it out and transfer it to DVD as my sisters want a copy .....but I just need to put my hands on it first.

I also have a copy of the BBC programme about the border counties and smuggling..with Sam McAughtery as presenter..... which of course includes in interview with your father....again I need to 'hoke' it out....just not too sure where the tape is. I am sure you have a copy of it....if not I would gladly make a copy for you.

I will have to look again Pat to see if I can spot your Mother.I am almost sure I spotted Della's Mum during some of the Newry footage........she was walking through Margaret Square with a girl(could have been Della or Anne).There is another programme on this video tape called "Denis Donoghue's Warrenpoint".Now I know a lot of people were up in arms about his book but the programme makes interesting viewing.Good coverage of one of the festival opening parades.

By the way Pat,thanks for the offer but I have a decent tape of the Sam McAutrey programme.......must get around to transferring it to DVD myself.The only chance of that happening is if this site breaks down for a few days :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:36 am 

Eugene wrote:
No problem joanne

If not you can always borrow this one,Eugene.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:04 am 

joanne wrote:
patMG07 wrote:
I will have to look again Pat to see if I can spot your Mother.

It is only a brief appearance....she was standing with her back to the camera , looks like possibly the 15th August or festival time in the point...a big crowd.....she was looking over towards the post office and she then turns towards the camera just as it pans around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From the same source as the day at the seaside video:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:11 pm 

Great to see that again Brian....my late mother features briefly, standing in the background of the shot featuring the banjo player (Owen ??? )....I think it would be from around 1980...and she would presumably have been watching a band coming down the street....must have been the 15th August? Like some other members I have that complete video somewhere about here, 'Clanrye Connections' by Rowan Hand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:14 pm 

excellant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:03 pm 

More great footage, really enjoyed that :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:38 pm 

I really enjoy these vids, I hope there will be some more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:08 pm 

where was the hotel in rostrever that was on fire in that vid? not the crown in the point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Two hotels mentioned in the video the Ballyedmond (more Killowen than Rostrevor) but the one I think you mean was the Great Northern - where Campbells garage is now. (the video did not mention the Roxboro Hotel in Rostrevor but it was destroyed as well)

Great northern

Great northern

Ballyedmond

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:28 pm 

Sorry it was the great northern buring in that one i thought it was the bally desmond. I still havnt heard of the Ballydesmond though. dont even recognise a pic of it.
I know my grandad was there putting out the fire at the Great northern as he told me about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:38 pm 

The Ballyedmond is the castle that Eddie Haughey now lives in at Killowen, Moygannon. (the one with the deer roaming in the grounds)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:10 pm 

Love that first card Brian !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm 

Liz wrote:
The Ballyedmond is the castle that Eddie Haughey now lives in at Killowen, Moygannon. (the one with the deer roaming in the grounds)

The penny just dropped there thats it! been a while since I seen in there with the big wall around it. Thanks for that reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:24 pm 

Brian thats a lovely piece of footage. I did see it at the time it was broadcast origanally. Its nice to have video footage of the town in its hey day.
Brilliant. :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:06 pm 

Brian - loved the video and seeing those lovely hotels again.
I worked with Manya Callahan whose mother and step father owned
the Balleyedmond.
She would get off the bus in the Winter nights and walk down that long
driveway to the front door. I asked her one time if she was ever
scared and she said it's scary. I didn't envy her.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 am 

Really enjoyed that video, but what a shame to see those beautiful hotels destroyed. The swinging chairs in the square brought back some memories.....And didnt Ownie Morgan just love to entertain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 pm 

xpaddy : I was in the same class as Manya Callaghan in Dromore Road Primary school and in my humble opinion was the No 1 girl in the school. Stanley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:01 am 

Hi Stanley. Well i see you fancied the Marilyn Monroe type then Manya Callaghan. But we were lucky we had some real good looking girls back then, don't forget Brian's mummy Glynis and of course Ann and Doris O'Neill and Paddy and Hannah Matthews and Margaret Allen[the greenkeeper at the golf clubs daughter]. Doris O'Neill married the Rev Bill Hazlett a Presbyterian Minister. He retired out of Ballyblack Presbyterian Church on the outskirts of Newtownards about October last year. I met them both at our church in Ballywalter one Sunday back then.
Me, i never had the courage to approach any of the girls, besides the "mammy" kept a tight rein on me. I now live at Carrowdore on the Ards peninsula . I retired out of Bombardier Aerospace[Shorts] in February 2007 had a heart attacke in May 2007 followed by ten weeks in hospital and a triple bypass. But thanks to the skills of Mr Marek Ali at the RVH I survived. By the way have you seen your picture in the forum its from 1953.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 am 

Stanley - Just read your posting now.
Yes Manya was a lovely looking girl.
I believe she emigrated to Canada as well, but
I don't know what part.
She married a Mr. Thompson who worked in Reeds
Office, when Manya and I both worked there.
He was from Belfast and I think his family owned a
Car Dealership at the time.
I haven't seen her since I left in 1964.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 pm 

Hello Wim and Xpaddy : Sorry that I had missed these two postings and only by running back over unanswered posts did I stumble on them. Thanks for your reminders about all the girls in our class and I hope they are all well. Sorry to hear Wim, about your recent health problems but with that operation you have been given a vital second chance, so I wish you well. I am quite familiar with your current location as I worked in the next village for 18 months in the late 1970's. When I was on call I used to lodge at Victor Adams farm and his late wife Margaret used to bake the most delicious mince pies. She used to operate a small tea room and at one stage got me to make her a giant cup and saucer to hang out at the county road, as Victor referred to it. You may have come across a gentleman called Bob Pue who will remember me.
One never knows with one's health, my older brother Eric dropped dead one morning at his home in Birmingham aged 59. You may remember that my father died aged 49 so I am very aware of such dangers. During the warmer weather I love to go out jogging but now at 66 I am much slower than in former years. You mentioned that photograph in Warrenpoint taken in 1953, I looked very carefully but could not remember such an event. The boy next to me was John McAllister and the younger boy in the long raincoat was, I think Ray Thompson. Please confirm whether that was me standing beside you. Xpaddy, I hope the dreadful credit crunch is not affecting you too badly, Canada does not make the news as much here in connection with those awful bankers, or as Gerry Adams calls them, "bankersters".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:08 am 

Hi Stanley. Good to hear from you again. I guess more old footage featuring Warrenpoint aptly describes you and i.I did not know about your brother Eric, you see i rarely go to Warrenpoint now and have not done so since 1971, the reasons i don't want to reveal here. I think my mothers funeral in 1977 and Billy McCoy and Bob Tate's funerals [both cousins] are my only visits. Bob Tate was our best man when we were married in 1964. I met your brother Sidney at that funeral and we had a long talk. I only visit my cousin Jean Hutchinson[nee McCoy] and her husband Robert who live on Kilfeaghan mountain between Kilkeel and Rostrevor and i usually travel in and out through Kilkeel and don't come into the Point at all. I saw you were at Newry Tech as was I but as I am 67 I was probably the year in front of you. I done all right for my first year but then I had a slight altercation with a master, a Sean Tobin who I believe came from Skibbereen in Co Cork and as he was a small guy and I was big there was only one winner, me. However when i had an interview with Mr Fitzsimmons the heahmaster he did not see it that way and made me an offer i could not refuse.I remember it was a friday and i dumped the books on his desk and on the way down Hill Street went into Wilson Radcliffe's shop and emerged in half an hour with a job starting on the Monday. I was very pleased with myself but my mother did not see it my way either and despite her being a small woman i got battered around the ears. I stayed in Radcliffe's untill I was was eighteen when i hit the road with the help of Uncle Sam Wilson [East Street] and spent the next four years in County Fermanagh and went to Enniskillen Tech in the evenings and passed both Junior and Senior Certificates. Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:12 pm 

This video now continues on the thread below:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5634

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 am 

Brian,can you post the Youtube links for this programme or maybe merge the topics.Thanks. :D