LIt up lighthouse

This section is for video, audio and any other multimedia files from the recent past - older videos Anything from 2000 on - including 8mm, Super8, and VHS etc have their own dedicated section in the main forum.
Connor Sweeney

LIt up lighthouse

#1 Post by Connor Sweeney » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 am

Not the best result, certainly not what I was hoping for, but seeing as I went through the nerve wracking process of flying offshore in the complete darkness, I might as well post it up.

Interestingly, the light at the top to warn shipping seems to be focused at a downwards angle; I was expecting to be blinded by it when level with it, but as you can see, it is a mere blink - certainly not what we see from shore. I was also reluctant to fly at a lower height because I couldn't see the sea level with the camera facing down, and I have learned that the indicated display height on the monitor might not always be totally accurate!

Also, as the lights illuminating the lighthouse are of limited power, they don't light the full aspect of the masonry which is a pity. It would have been better for cinematic effect to film slightly earlier (at late dusk, perhaps?) but the lights don't get turned on until it is quite dark due to them being solar powered to save on battery life.

Still, here's the result. I can tell you, I was glad to see the aircraft return that night!

Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LIt up lighthouse

#2 Post by Brian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:08 am

Because the lights are solar powered they are not very powerful resulting in the need for long exposures to get a half decent shot, not something you can do with a drone

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12465

my shot in the link above is about the best I can get without over exposing, also note the lights are only on shore side (to avoid distracting shipping) but I took mine from the safety of the shore beside the car park :D

Connor Sweeney

#3 Post by Connor Sweeney » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:14 am

You can do long exposures with the phantom range, Brian - but I'm into video rather than stills. Some of the lads use 2-3 second exposure shots to take dramatic aerial night shots. PAK aerial in particular. Right I'm away to invent a lightweight long exposure video camera...

dabarry

#4 Post by dabarry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Classic risk versus reward situation.

Padraigin

#5 Post by Padraigin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you both!

Return to “The multimedia section”