oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A look inside another one of Warrenpoints Church buildings, this time the Methodist church in Church street. I will be adding a small video and a little bit of historical information soon.

These photographs were taken on the eve of the harvest festival service 2008, and this year the preacher for the evening service was Mr Alex Slater from the mission to fishermen, hence the nautical theme. The shoe-boxes and contents are for the children in Belarus in Russia, and have been donated by members and friends of the congregation.

A sad sign of the times, it seems that the vandals can't leave church buildings alone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:18 pm 

A beautiful historic building. Very sad to see the the results of on-going vandalism.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:22 pm 

Beautiful photos once again Brian, and the wee Church is just as tiny inside as it looks from outside

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:29 pm 

Lovely photos, Brian. I was in that church just once, a very, very long time ago. Mrs Trodden's choir practised in the hall at the back occasionally & for some reason a couple of us had to go into the church, can't remember why..to get keys, maybe.

Such beautiful windows - vandalising a place of worship is as low as it gets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:28 am 

Brian - beautiful pictures of the church, how sad to see lovely windows being smashed like that.
B&B - yes when I was in Mrs.Trodden's choir we practiced there quite often.
I think we did a couple of concerts there too because I remember Mom and Dad
coming out to hear us.
Just a note - we would practice each part separately at her house then when the
3 part harmonies were put together we always went into bigger places.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:04 am 

What a beautiful church! I never saw interior before. That ceiling is magnificent.
As to the vandals, I read about some of the destruction caused by these young thugs and wonder why the general public tolerates them. Can't something be done?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:10 am 

Many thanks for the photo,s Brian thats the first time i seen the inside of the church. Sad to see that a place of worship is under attack by thugs. :angry:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 am 

Another great set of pictures Brian, all a part of our heritage............................................

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:28 pm 

Lovely photos of the interior of my family Church. I was christened and married here. :>

Eugene, while I was getting married in the Methodist, you were attending a family wedding in St. Peters just around the corner...........................now there's a puzzle for you ~x( :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:47 pm 

Nice one Liz!!...I love a puzzle!........... the year would be a nice wee clue for me!!

Ive never been in the Church before so am glad of these pics Brian took.....looks a really nice Church.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:04 pm 

Hey Liz, I remember going to see you on your wedding day, would it have been around easter time? I also remember who was married the same day as you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:17 pm 

[quote="Eugene"]Nice one Liz!!...I love a puzzle!........... the year would be a nice wee clue for me!!

1982 Eugene :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:21 pm 

Liz wrote:

1982 Eugene :D

Knowing me I could jump in here and say something stupid......Im going to get help with this one!!! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:23 pm 

Derv wrote:
Hey Liz, I remember going to see you on your wedding day, would it have been around easter time? I also remember who was married the same day as you.

Stanley ? :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:34 pm 

patMG07 wrote:
Derv wrote:

Stanley ? :rotfl:

:you ejit: Pat :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:07 am 

Brilliant photos Brian never seen inside before looks lovely .
Sad to see the small minded people breaking windows what do they get out of this its time we named and shamed about this sort of thing in the town with photos in newspapers and what they did .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 am 

pointman wrote:
Brilliant photos Brian never seen inside before looks lovely .
Sad to see the small minded people breaking windows what do they get out of this its time we named and shamed about this sort of thing in the town with photos in newspapers and what they did .

I would agree but then the papers would probably have a 'posse' of lawyers after them protesting about someone's human rights !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 pm 

Too quick for me....was honestly kust about to say that !!! :D
Beautiful pics Brian...I wonder could you take some of the Church of Ireland sometime for us...It is just beautiful inside also but Im afraid the last time I was in was at our Richards funeral & just cant bring the nerve to go in again...as far as I recall there is a rememberance window/plaque donated to his memory..Richard McKee ?? Sorry for putting a dampner on the nice chat folks ....
I remember being in the back hall of the Methodist Church Liz watching Shona & the girls doing their displays...Oh those were the days !!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will be taking photos in the Church of Ireland next, followed by the Presbyterian, the two chapels and hopefully some of the other smaller Church's at a later stage. Another project I want to do is get photographs of the outside and inside of as many of the buildings in the town centre as possible. I have been already been likened to a modern day "Lawrence" (the photo collection chap) by some people, I only wish I had his skill! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:33 am 

Brian wrote:
I will be taking photos in the Church of Ireland next, followed by the Presbyterian, the two chapels and hopefully some of the other smaller Church's at a later stage. Another project I want to do is get photographs of the outside and inside of as many of the buildings in the town centre as possible. I have been already been likened to a modern day "Lawrence" (the photo collection chap) by some people, I only wish I had his skill! :rotfl:

Good for you, Brian. I am sure these will all be greatly appreciated not only by current Forum members but by who-knows-how-many in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 pm 

Nice photos Brian, its a lovely church, brought back memorys of getting changed in the church for our girls brigade
displays, bet Liz remembers thoses days well !! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:38 pm 

Thank you Brian.
Rev Huttons' Thanksgiving is next Sunday, maybe do there next week?
I went to the Harvest Service on Sunday night and heard Mr Slater speak. Think a seamens' mission is dear to our hearts, as we are a seaside people (webbed feet??).
To those of you who say you haven't been inside, you are guaranteed a very warm welcome.
This may not be "my" Church, but I feel all the Churches in the town are "ours", and the vandalism is so difficult to understand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm 

It is so sad to read about the vandalism (it' happening in the Churches here in Wales also) as this was 'my' church when I lived at home. Every Sunday morning 10.30. I took my first Communion and my Sister Kathleen was married there. It is indeed a lovely Church.