oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:19 pm 

Just noticed yesterday evening that I can now get full strength signals for all the BBC stations on my portable DAB radio.....a big improvement especially for those that like to follow the football broadcasts on 5 Live and 5 Live Sports Extra. I presume this is because the Rostrevor transmitter has been upgraded. Not sure when the new signals were switched on but it must have been in the last week or so. Previous to this I was getting weak DAB signals from the Camlough transmitter using the same portable radio. Of course the RTE DAB services have been available for some time. No sign of the Independant stations yet such as Downtown etc. on DAB but I presume they will follow at some point. Well at least if someone gets you a DAB radio for Christmas you will have something worth listening to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 am 

We've been blessed with excellent DAB / Freeview reception in Hilltown for years now Pat!!
Good to hear the coverage is slowly extending. I prefer the radio to TV at Christmas.
I got a 'Roberts' DAB radio some Christmas's ago and it's a joy.
Happy listening!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "official" DAB websites still tell me that we have no coverage ~x( so I assume the current broadcasts are test ones?

According to Downtown radios website they are on DAB but again, I assume only certain transmitters and if Rostrevor is on test then that would explain that. I very rarely (if ever) listen to the radio preferring online streaming or my own MP3's these days but the addition of DAB may change that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm 

Well, hopefully if it is only a test they will decide the test has gone well and leave the signals 'on'. I actually listen to the radio more than watch TV these days ....especially 5 Live and Radio 4 ( I must be getting old ! :rotfl: ).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm 

I can receive 20 DAB stations, time to upgrade car radio!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:00 pm 

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/01/the- ... anded.html

I came across this link which seems to suggest an upgrade is planned some time this year to the Camlough transmitter to improve DAB coverage, specifically add Radio Ulster....not sure about the commercial stations. No mention of Rostrevor forest though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:05 pm 

Just a brief update. Radio Ulster, Downtown and a number of other stations now available on DAB in this locality...presume they have finally upgraded the Camlough transmitter. You might need to rescan your DAB radio though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers Pat - I must admit I don't own a DAB radio at all as we can get Radio Ulster and what have you through freeview and online streaming but its good to know we are finally getting there after nearly 5 years :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 am 

.....they will be turning off the FM signals eventually once DAB coverage has reached a certain level. I like DAB for the sports coverage and using it in tbe car. Not so easy there to stream or use the freeview. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suppose at that point I will change the radio over but from what I can gather its a long way off yet

http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2015/07/fm-radio-shutdown.cfm