oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bio Diesel .....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:27 am 

With the price of fuel rocketing all the time and with further price rises due in January I have been wondering about using Bio Diesel in my Citreon (2001 Picasso)........I see it for sale on Milltown Street at 98p per litre. Has anyone any expereince of using Bio Diesel? From some friends and also from online sources I have been getting conflicting opinions. Some people suggest that in a car more then 5 years old you can use it 100% with no problems and no difference in performance. Others suggest various levels of mixing Bio Diesel with 'normal' road diesel, eg 75% / 25% or even 50% / 50%. ....and then some say it can mean you need to change filters more frequently .....or even ruin your engine !!!

Post subject: Re: Bio Diesel .....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm 

Ludwig Van Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil, so a diesel engine will run on any veggie oil, I have been running my Dodge 2500 truck on used veg oil from cafes.
Ruining the engine; the injectors are what get "ruined" if the oil is not clean, really clean.
Veg oil is impossible to start,especially on cold mornings, but once the engine is warm, it will run all day.
Bio diesel is a different process using lye etc.
For the long run and real money saving, the initial costs are heavy, and you have to keep the vehicle a long time.
It involves two gas tanks,one for diesel,one for clean veggie. Start with diesel,when engine is warm, switch to veg, switch back before parking for the night, so the lines have diesel once again.
You can clean and filter your own veg oil and perhaps get it free from a resturaunt friend. The cleaning/filtering process is quite simple.
Dunno what the cops might have to say, but they don't bother here, plus we don't have the privilage of the RED so what's in the tank is never an issue.
Whatever you put in your engine, it must be clean that's the rub. Good Luck.

Post subject: Re: Bio Diesel .....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 pm 

Thanks for that Murphy ! The Bio Diesel I am referring to is all legit and government approved. I have read it is possible to buy kits for home production and some dedicated souls buy 'source' oils from factories and restaurants etc. For the less technically inclined like me it is also available, ready made in various outlets across the country.....including Milltown Street....where a large roadside sign advertises the fact that it is for sale along with other products.....emergency home heating oil etc.