oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:22 am 

This is just an idea for a topic given that the site has been a bit slow of late.

I know that there are no such things as quick fixes and to change things you have to establish responsibilities and ensure that there is sufficient finance to enable whatever action might result to resolve a problem.

I am also aware that there are big problems that require a great deal of collective effort to resolve and small problems that perhaps a few letters and a profile in the papers/ raising awareness with local representatives might result in a solution quite easily.

All I want to know is whether there are things that annoy members of this forum around the town that can be sorted but where there doesn't appear to have been a will to do so.

I will give a very minor example although its not really important and not really a problem but which is a minor irritation and totally unnecessary.

1. Why are there so many fly-posted BT boxes, a traffic light box ( only one essential I expect) and a bin at the corner of the park opposite the Northern Bank. It is terribly ugly at the entrance to a beautiful park and not in keeping with the fact that so much money was spent on environmental improvement in Queen Street which resulted in road re-surfacing, new paving and the burying of over head cabling yet left extremely ugly street furniture at that corner.

Any more?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:40 pm 

Something to be done with the baths.

Carlingford bay hotel.

Syringes lying about the streets I seen last time I was down town at the harbour :shocked: Hopefully that was a one off.

some sort of community centre like the one we had.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I moved this in here as I want to keep the modern topics away from the historic stuff :D

Something to be done with the baths.

Work in progress :D Quite a lot of behind the scenes activity here, we had hoped to have more information by now but we just have to wait a bit longer.

Carlingford bay hotel.

I agree on that - last I heard was that the current owner might be painting it. However, I would imagine like any business person they are quietly awaiting to see if the proposed marina development takes off.

Syringes lying about the streets I seen last time I was down town at the harbour :shocked: Hopefully that was a one off.

First I heard of that? ~x( I'll keep my eyes open

some sort of community centre like the one we had.[/quote]

also agree. There is some progress on that as there is a portacabin behind the boxing club that is being used as a sort of a community centre, hopefully something more concrete will come from that.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:39 pm 

Is this work by council at the baths ? Hadnt noticed as I havnt been that way in a while I used back roads last time because of the traffic lights.

I seen syringes around the stone that sits at the harbour but as I say hopefully it was a one off.

I just want the parish centre really, or very similar place where people can use and play tennis and squash indoors as weather dosnt always allow outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:34 pm 

Hope it was a one time thing with
the syringes.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:57 pm 

Syringes - the sign that no place is immune to the hazards of drug abuse. Remember that some one is selling the goods to some members of the community who have the desire. Do not take this discovery lightly. Most transactions are done at street level. Vigilence on the street, at schools and copmmunity centres is imperative.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 am 

Where in Warrenpoint is the Carlingford Bay Hotel? Since the Baths have been around for over one hundred years it must be held in awe by the historians - it is not a thing of beauty and should not last much longer. Local, County and federal governments move along like a herd of turtles when it comes to spending money - and quite often spend it for the wrong reason. Strong representation is required for the community to be served correctly when it comes to spending Government money. Remember the Governmnet has no money of its own it belongs to the people and the latter should decide - through representation. It appears to me that the Point has grown so fast that the mundane services, necessary for any community, have not kept up with the pace of development. (Just observations from an old Warrenpoint native. Not intended to hurt the feelings of the generous number of good people who pour heart and soul into the community)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Carlingford bay is the old Osborne hotel (around the shore)

Indeed you are right George, for far too long Warrenpoint has been at the back of the queue when it comes to many things, however over the last few years some locals have had enough and formed several groups. A couple of examples of this would be the local football and boxing clubs, the former having built new clubrooms and an all weather 3G pitch including stands and turnstiles on the upper dromore road and the later already heavily involved in fund-raising to build new clubrooms for themselves. Those groups and many others are coming together under the umbrella of the Warrenpoint Community Partnership. This group, while still in its fledgling years has been able to help various clubs and organisations apply for (and receive) some grant funding for themselves and others.

I'll be posting a thread soon listing all the different clubs and organisations around the town that are actively seeking new members and indeed this list may surprise a few people as it is quite long :D

Of course I can't forget to mention the save our baths action group (being as I am the chairperson) :D and we too have been active lately - most of this has been behind the scenes and while I can't officially say anything yet there is movement on the baths and our volunteers will be down over the next few weeks ahead along with members of the east coast adventure centre doing some general cleaning and maintenance work to improve the look of the place. Long terms plans are being worked on and one example of this is this sketch that one of our members (Eugene Nolan) did for us based on an idea I had to restore the original frontage of the building and build further out to create a pier. This would not be that hard to imagine, and could allow for all sorts of uses and indeed pontoons could be placed beside the pier to allow boats to come in and tie up.

all we need now is somebody with imagination (and a large wallet) to help us :D

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:32 pm 

I agree with all ideas raised so far, and I love the drawing of the Baths and extended pier. In fact this reminds me of a conversation that I had with Eddie some time back, during which I said that I thought a pier would be a great idea. However, the one I had in mind would have run from Coles Corner round to the Marina and would have been on two levels with parking on the bottom level and stalls, cafes etc on the top.

If I had the money and authority to undo something that has been done recently, it would be to restore the side of the Square from Eurospar to First Trust back to what it was before the 'powers that be' decided to 'create' a second parking lane on the Eurospar - First Trust side of the street. I get that the idea was to make two lanes travelling from the Dock Railings/Wall - to Post Office direction, but I feel it would have been much more practical to just make all the traffic turn left and go around the roundabout at Duke Street to return back up Cnurch Street.

What we now have in this area constantly becomes totally chaotic as now people use the 'Right hand turn lane' to travel the wrong way and still there are two lanes of 'Parking'.

And here ends todays rant!!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 pm 

Hi Brian, The blue print looks terrific. I hope the pool is Olympic size? Where will the patrons park????? Who is the political rep for the area? Keep the good work up.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

George it's all a dream at the moment, but certainly an Olympic sized pool would be worth doing. :D As for parking that's also an ongoing issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm posting this for Padraigin

Quote:
Here is a pic I took in the winter of 2000/2001, a shame also that these wee arches at the entrances to the park were removed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 pm 

That is a brilliant pic of the front of the park also love the drawing by Eugene of the Baths.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:28 am 

There is plenty of parking in Warrenpoint... People are too lazy to walk and so double, treble park . There is a very large carpark in front of INF which lies almost empty everyday.... St. Peters Church has a carpark in Peter Street, very close to the church.... What happens at Sunday Mass, no one knows about this carpark, they park on corners, double yellow lines. Park almost right up into residents doors and they give you bad manners if you say anything.... Then proceed to Mass. Do Traffice Wardens not work on Sunday...... If there is a car park provided it should be used.....

I may add that the parking in Warrenpoint is free, unlike Newry etc........

Then we have become a society that likes everything handy for us......... Walking is good even with carrying a few groceries....... Of course I am speaking of people who are fortunate enough to be able to do this..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:25 am 

Deirdre wrote:
There is plenty of parking in Warrenpoint... People are too lazy to walk and so double, treble park . There is a very large carpark in front of INF which lies almost empty everyday....

I wish the amusements could be moved there.......then a start made on upgrading the square itself.
First thing that should happen is the removal of the unsightly public toilets.
The Square deserves some imaginative attention.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, lazy people are everywhere around this town... I usually park my car away from the normal carparks and walk if they are busy - mainly as its too big for the "new" spaces the roads division kindly made when they repainted the square - I might be able to fit in but how am I supposed to open my doors? ~x( If I park "properly" the front (or rear) of the car overhangs by about 2 feet - might as well paint "hit me" signs on it.

I was turning into the square to drive down past the Genoa last week and a woman in a Nissan 4x4 came across from the car park, against the flow of traffic and proceeded to double park outside the bank in my lane and looked at me as if I was wrong :angry: what notion did she take to do that? I had nowhere to go apart from into the oncoming lane and it was already occupied by another person that thought they could park there as well ~x( Lucky enough they saw what was going on and moved but even they looked on in disbelief at the driver of the 4x4.

People are too quick to complain about traffic wardens and getting tickets, but they really need to ask themselves why they got a ticket in the first place - if 99% of the drivers can abide by the law what makes them so special?

*continues to rant for about an hour*

On the subject of the amusements as any one knows they have been in the square longer than the cars (just look at all the old photographs) I'm trying to find the minutes of the council meeting when it was agreed to hand over the square to the roads division as a parking area as I think there was a condition in it that would allow the "hobby horses" to be sited there as they do attract people and to be honest (as is proven weekend after weekend) even if they are not there people still don't park properly!

If you re-site the amusements to havelock place, then you lose those parking spaces - you have simply moved the problem around the corner. You can't put them on the playing fields as the ground would be ruined - take them out altogether and any passing summer tourist trade will simply not stop and drive on to the next town.

There are as many people for the amusements as against - and the arguments will run for years I would imagine :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 pm 

Eugene,,,, Us townies can still walk in front of the car park and enjoy the view... If the Amusements were there it would not be possible... I could hardly get to the bus stop when they were in the square... blocked off at ever turn... No.....not there.... Deirdre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:00 pm 

Regarding the parking spaces in the town, try being disabled.There are 2 spaces in front of the Post Office, 12 in the square, 1 outside the Ulster Bank, 2 in Church street and 1 in front of the Whistledown. There are also a few dotted about the town which where placed outside disabled peoples homes to make their lives a bit easier.
It is nigh on impossible to get parked in these spaces as the able bodied people park where they want to, as it saves them a few minutes of their precious time. I can't count the number of times it has been said to me " I'll only be a minute".
I would love to be a Traffic warden for the day, Revenge would be mine...... :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 pm 

tufty wrote:
Regarding the parking spaces in the town, try being disabled.

You've touched a nerve here tufty! Having a disabled family member I know only too well how selfish some able-bodied drivers are. In recent years I've seen it up close & personal, but another close relative has been disabled for decades. He told us of his anger at a Church Street businessman who routinely parks in a disabled spot facing the shops. Eventually he decided to confront this person who was totally unapologetic, couldn't see what the fuss was about & said it was convenient for him, the carpark was empty when he parked early every morning, there were plenty of other spaces and he would continue to use "his spot".
This was some years ago so the problem is not a new one - I have simply become much more aware how incredibly insensitive & lazy some drivers are.

It's not confined to Warrenpoint of course, we have the same problem everywhere!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:55 pm 

Deirdre wrote:
Eugene,,,, Us townies can still walk in front of the car park and enjoy the view... If the Amusements were there it would not be possible...

A valid point Deirdre........its just I have always felt the Square is very much under appreciated. I feel any other town in Ireland would relish the "blank canvas" that it is to maximise its size and location to create a beautiful centre point for visitors and still provide good town centre parking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 pm 

I totally agree with you Eugene.... It should be a focal point and a little haven for sitting, watching the world go bye... If you think of the squares in even the smallest villages and towns in Europe, people are sitting , relaxing , it is a meeting place.

Our representatives have no imagination at all. You only have to look at the trees in the square that block the view. The council needs another away day at taxpayers expense to mull over the situation.

There is a disabled spot across from my house in Gt. Georges Street, I keep an eye on that.....

We now have all the business people and workers from Church Street parking on the street. I know if their cars are taxed and insured it is legal..... But as residents we can never park in front of our house. Even to get my Aunt in from the Wheelchair taxi it is impossible.

I would like to park outside their houses. I think they would be complaining fast then...

Anyhow, Eugene, I only meant to respond to your post....This site always motivates people to speak out and provide great and good ideas...... Deirdre

The butchers, the bakers, the dentalstick makers.

Sometimes I feel so frustrated by it all and my attempts with local reps, regardless of who ,are futile.......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 pm 

Sorry to disagree on one point Eugene. There has been amusements in the Square, of some kind or other, long before people were able to afford a car let alone 'park' one! McGivern's, if I remember rightly, were in the Square from Easter through to September, a much anticipated and welcome presence amongst townsfolk and visitors alike. The Bell family, on the other hand, take up residence just a couple of weeks throughout the year. There is ample opportunity for much needed upgrades to be carried out around this residency but any improvements planned should, in my opinion, still include an area to accommodate the traditional funfair.

I believe it is more likely that passing motorists will stop in the 'Point when they are greeted with the sight of the amusements. It arouses curiousity in people who think something must be happening in this town - 'let's stop and find out!'. However, I agree with Deirdre....there are plenty of parking spaces in the town if you are willing to walk an extra minute or two to reach your point of business!

Er....hope I will still be getting my Christmas card and hugely extravagant, very expensive presents as usual this year Eugene....!!! :xmasgrin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am 

Lorraine wrote:
Er....hope I will still be getting my Christmas card and hugely extravagant, very expensive presents as usual this year Eugene....!!! :xmasgrin:

>:d< :friends: You're top of the list Lorraine!!.......but just wait 'till I meet you head on in a bumpin' car! :rotfl: .
It's really not the amusements that annoy me - for all the time they use the Square - I just think it could be more attractive and welcoming to visitors the rest of the year!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm 

It's hard to say what the solution for
the Square would be as it is one of
the Focal points of the Town.
McGiverns started out there, when there
was very little Traffic so that wasn't
a problem then.
There are just too many cars now.
As some of you have said, if people would
be willing to walk a distance, and not try to
get the closest parking possible, things might
not be as bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:27 pm 

Taking the windmill down and replacing it in the square would be a great attraction to the to the town and use as the bottom as a tourist office.
Parking is big issue i agree but knock down the toilets in the square and replace with the windmill . New toilets could be made to fit with the windmill with nice stone walls etc and should be placed close to disabled spots and also child friendly car parking is needed to let children in and out of cars. The square can be nice and still serve the town. On the amusements I am for them as they have been a large part of our towns history and still give our town something others do not have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 pm 

Quote:
just wait 'till I meet you head on in a bumpin' car! .

If Eugene attempts a head-on collision I'll just have to 'dodgem'!!! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 am 

Lorraine wrote:

If Eugene attempts a head-on collision I'll just have to 'dodgem'!!!

:rotfl: :biker:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:23 am 

pointman wrote:
Taking the windmill down and replacing it in the square would be a great attraction to the to the town and use as the bottom as a tourist office.
Parking is big issue i agree but knock down the toilets in the square and replace with the windmill . New toilets could be made to fit with the windmill with nice stone walls etc and should be placed close to disabled spots and also child friendly car parking is needed to let children in and out of cars. The square can be nice and still serve the town. On the amusements I am for them as they have been a large part of our towns history and still give our town something others do not have.

Superb!!...an excellent suggestion!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm 

Warren point people don't park their cars, they abandon them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 am 

I agree with manchunian,they abandon their cars and fcuk every one else.if they opened the road between the dock wall and the first and last ,,,the way it used to be,,, that would solve most of the traffic flow problems..