It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a shame to see it in this state...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am 

Its terrible to see it like this,

Have the council not got the power to force the owner to repair or tidy up the premises?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 am 

:angry: :angry: This building ruins the look of Osborne Promenade/Terrace.I know this situation was discussed on the forum a long time ago but I don't we came up with anything constructive ~x(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 am 

The Council can only enforce Dangerous Building legislation if any part of the building is causing a risk to members of the public.

I agree, for such a big building in a magnificent location it could be a real jewell! At present its a real eye sore and portrays the wrong image for a beautiful victorian seafront. :angry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 pm 

Did the McParland Brothers ( Canal Court Hotel and Carrickdale owners) buy the Osborne ;--)

Whoever the current owners are should make a sensible investment in their property and have the place painted.... not only it improve this eyesore but it actually prevents further structural damage thath will cost them more to repair in the long run ( and they should make sure the roof is safe and intact.... the council should have this checked out - if there is a risk of tiles form the roof coming off then there is a hazard to the public)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know who owns it (there are as many owners names about as there are excuses as to why they wont fix it) the roof as far as I remember is a flat one (not tiled) and the roof of the club is gone completely - something I was told that removed the rates charges for the site? ~x( Inside has been vandalised and set on fire on a number of occasions, and is a death trap - anybody going in there (for example to put flags on the roof) really would be taking their life into their hands :shocked:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm 

It definitely is an "eye sore". :shocked:
To think what it once was, and now it is
a disgrace to that area.
They probably will have to knock it down
first, and then re-build.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm 

I think there are squatters in there at the back of it. I am convinced as something came up in a pic and I went back next day and curtains where closed. Maybe they arnt of this realm :shocked: lol

I agree something needs done but it will be more flats. Suppose its better than looking at that (even though I do like an abandoned building just not there). The owner could come along and only tear it down and make a gaping hole to you know :shocked:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 pm 

Im sure in the current financial climate it will take some time for any work to start there :-(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:13 pm 

I've seen lots of towns/cities where abandoned/empty buildings are giving a fresh lick of paint to just spruce the place up a bit and others where murals are painted on the outside of the building to make it more of an attraction than an eyesore.... there's enough good advocates on this site to drum up support for a community project and see if the the council can provide the materials and get some volunteer labour to paint the place..... would be great to see some murals on the "windows" portraying what the old place looked like in her hay-day

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The difference in this building and others (such as the baths) is that it is privately owned, and it is very big - way beyond the means of any local "cleanup" crew. ~x(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:37 am 

Wouldn't that site make a wonderful community centre!! What a shame it couldn't be used for that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 pm 

Last I heard and I have heard nothing since to the contrary it was in the ownership of a Dublin based businessman who comes from Newry originally.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:02 am 

For those of us who had some wonderful memories of evenings at the Osborne in the '50's and 60's, this is indeed a shocker. How sad, and as previously said by others, such a waste of a tremendous site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:13 pm 

I have spoken to the owner once through work, he would love to do something with it but no funds I'm afraid :-(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 pm 

On a rare visit home this week i was round by the Osborne and the thought occurred to me that perhaps the so called "big business men" that owned the property had hit hard times in the current financial crisis and were just hanging on to it until the market moved up again and then they could make a kill selling or developing the place. How the place looks or the feelings of the general public do not enter into their scale of things just their greed to make money and be dammed to the rest of us. It sickens me to hear them rabbit on about their love for the town, how it means so much to them and they will always have its best interest at heart. B-----ks, please excuse the language.
Donaghaguy[Wim]