oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:26 pm 

I look foward to this film very much its been a while from a good western was made,. Charlton Heston (mountain man) :rotfl: cracker Murphy and my old mucker Joneshill me for the part of grizzled old buffalo hunter :> . I rewatched The man who shot Liberty Valance last night a film you could never get tired of watching the village of Shinbone just had enough of Liberty some great one liners in the film. :>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:09 am 

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, a classic line from Strother Martin when Lee Marvin was working some one over in the Saloon, delivered from the safety of the back of the crowd.."kick him again Liberty".. another great line delivered by Strother was from The Wild Bunch, Strother as a member of a group of lowly "Prairie Thrash" came out with the corker "I shot that man,that man right there..I want his boot's"..Fourthroad if you get a chance check out Rooster Cogburn there is a scene which Strother as "Shanghai McCoy"[an irascible ferry boat operater... "I hate everything and every one"] shares with the Duke and Katherine Hepburn which is simply superb. remember his unforgettable dialogue with Kim Darby in "True Grit"..Kim Darby was fleecing Strother [Col Stonehill] in a horse sale and Strother say's "Miss Ross it does not suprise me to find that you are indeed a relative of Mr Cogburn" all delivered with the most pained expression imaginable...or his classic to Butch and Sundance when the boy's sought employ with a mining company in Bolivia "I have got moron's on my team, no one is going to rob us coming down the mountain..we have no money going down the mountain .. when we have the moeny that's when you can sweat...[ spit's] bingo"..don't get me started on "Cool Hand Luke"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 am 

Strother excelled in The ballad of Cable Hogue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jones hill asked that I post this here :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm 

Cool hand Luke top film all. Last night i found myself sitting down to watch a real oldie, Man of the Frontier with legendary cowboy Gene Autry (singing cowboy) its in black and white you know it was a good film its about businessmen in a small town dynamiting the dam that brings water to the cattle lands of Arizona its worth a watch, must say Gene Autry singing The red river valley was good, gosh im getting more like my father everyday :--)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:15 pm 

Remember Kim Darby very well.
She starred in quite a few western
movies.
She was boyish looking with her short
hair, so she could play the role of
boy/girl very easily.
She was married 5 times, her first
to actor James Stacy, who lost
an arm and leg in a motorcycle accident,
many years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 pm 

xpaddy wrote:
Remember Kim Darby very well.
She starred in quite a few western
movies.
She was boyish looking with her short
hair, so she could play the role of
boy/girl very easily.
She was married 5 times, her first
to actor James Stacy, who lost
an arm and leg in a motorcycle accident,
many years ago.

kim Darby, great in Rooster cogburn, watched it the other night on my new Blue ray, with surround sound, and room for a pony.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am 

True Grit..the scene Kim Darby shared with a much put upon Colonel Stonehill [Strother Martin] is one of my absolute favourite's..can watch it over and over and never tire of it.
Mattie Ross "Do you know a Marshall called Rooster Cogburn"?
Colonel G Stonehill "Most people around these part's know Rooster Cogburn,and most live to regret it ... I would not be surprised to learn that he is a relative of your's"..the Point on the 15th around "the heel of the evening" alway's saw an influx of Strother Martin type's from the surrounding area's [Burren,Hilltown and in particular the bridge of Mayo]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:36 pm 

just spoke with CD and he says the 10,000 view mark should not go unnoticed, perhaps a baloon or a medal or a sweet from Mary Digney's shop would be in order.
Thanks all. Murphy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You will have to settle for a certificate :rotfl:

I'll email you a printable one if you want :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:57 pm 

:-):-) :-):-) :-):-) :-):-) :-):-)

Congratulations Murphy on passing the 10,000 view mark. Well done!!

I look forward to the 20,000 mark.

@-->>No zz:zz ing when you go into this thread!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:27 pm 

[quote="Brian"]You will have to settle for a certificate :rotfl:

I'll email you a printable one if you want :D[/quot

Well thanks Brian, I sure would appreciate that, nice certificate, for my office.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm 

Hey Murphy

check out your pms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:43 am 

Congratulations Murphy. >:d<
I enjoyed reading the posts from
you and your friends.
The certificate will look nice in your
Office.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:43 am 

Well done Murphy ..marvellous achievement. as Woodrow F Call said of Deet's.."Joshua Deet's, served with me in thirty one engagements against the Comanche and Kiowa,faithful in all weather's, splendid behaviour"..it just seemed appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:23 pm 

Well done Murphy a top achievement :genius: . Sweets from Mary Digneys or a slice of ice cream off the block from Harry Coles along with your award, Joneshill loved the slice of ice cream from Harry Coles after his swim at Sandy bottom when we were kids :--)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:06 pm 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pg1EbXbZO4[/youtube]

I hope this shows up. Stacy Westfall riding bareback, no reins either. fabulous. CD don't like it??? Murph.
Watch the horse's ears go back when she talks to him.

PS. My new Mustang threw me off last week (almost 2 weeks now) and I'm still suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:42 am 

Totally enjoyed this one Murphy, what a connection between her and her horse!! I'll have to show it to Sinead later.

Thanks for posting. :thank you:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 am 

What superb skill and nerve..the only horse I ever fell off was at McGivern's Amusements in the Square,but Mickey Hughes saw to it that I immediately remounted...remember when Duffy's or Fossett's Circus perfomed in the Plott's and at one point during the show a youngster would be plucked form the crowd,sat astride a beautiful piebald horse,then secured by a harness would be galloped around the Ring,eventually parting with the horse dramatically and defying gravity by flying above the rest of our head's around the whole circumference of the Big Top...Fourthroad,the Campbell boy's and I used to love that part of the show,but the yongster picked was always from the front seat's and undoubtably had paid in,unlike us skulking away up in the high seat's at the back,having crawled in under the Big Top canvas...our scam actually involved one of our number,more often than not Joe Larmour paying in,thus we had our own man on the inside who secured our position's and often actually held the flap up for us to crawl under...this scam called for split second timing and no little daring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:25 pm 

When I was about 10 or 11, JH, I was that child who was harnessed to the ropes and sat upon the horse and I loved the feeling of flying through the air more than the riding round the ring on the horse.

Thanks for conjuring up another memory.

G.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:00 pm 

Well well so that was you on the horse Charlotte st, i remember that day well as Joneshill talked of you must of been one of the people who paid in Charlotte st. The horses at the circus were great loved the way they walked round the ring then with a sudden crack of the whip they turned round went the other way stoped and then put there front feet up on the ring board. Great post Murphy :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 am 

Getting caught once going under the tent flap was enough for me Fourthroad and JH, I never was able to do it again.
We got some telling off by the circus worker.

I do remember carrying water up from our house for the various circus folk to earn a free pass, never mind the fact that I got soaked while carrying it! It was worth it to see all the 'glitz and glamour'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:50 pm 

G-pa with his new huge fella... and the wee grand babies... Trevor and Jordan.

Attachments:
paintballs 112.jpg
paintballs 112.jpg [ 73.39 KiB | Viewed 2691 times ]
paintballs 129.jpg
paintballs 129.jpg [ 110.24 KiB | Viewed 2691 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm 

I just noticed that the picture enlarges if you click on it. Who wouldda guessed.
That is my latest addition to the herd, 17.3 hands warmblood, a long way down if you should come off. I need a step stool to get on him. Tried vaulting from the back like the Range Rider, no joy, I will need a small trampoline I suppose. Too short and too old for that behaviour. This boy loves to run. Murphy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:47 pm 

Hell thats a big horse Murphy as you say long way down if you were to come off

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post removed:

Any further posts that are deemed to be a direct or indirect breach of the forum rules on "flaming" will result in an immediate ban for the member or members involved. Would all members please remember that unless you are posting under your real name it is quite difficult for other members to know who you are, and indeed if the comments you make are meant in a light hearted way or not.

There will be no further warnings.

David.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No argument from me. Would all members please take note of the above, try to remember that not everybody knows who you are - a simple comment made in all innocence can easily be taken the wrong way.

Play nice people!

:--)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:43 am 

MISSED THAT ONE, PROBABLY JUST AS WELL.( FOR FEAR OF LOOKING LIKE A GOB,) I DON"T REALLY KNOW WHAT FLAMING IS, AND I DON:T SUPPOSE ANYONE IS GONNA TELL ME. WHATEVER IT IS, I"M GLAD ADMIN GOT IT FIRST, THANKS, MURPHY.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:51 am 

Flaming Norah!!..now that was a tomato to get heated about..actually I have no idea what flaming is either and have no great desire to find out about same...now Murphy that is one lovely looking animal, a bit of a Gus McCrae vibe going on there methink's..the horse Robert Duvall used in Lonesome Dove [am sure there was more than one] was of a similar size and colouring to the mount you now sit astride. My oldest son Peter at my suggestion read Lonesome Dove a few year's ago and quickly fell in love with McMurty's masterpiece,now my youngest lad David has picked it up and is achieving just as much enjoyment from this masterful odyssey... may dip into it myself again over the summer.
CD if you are looking in your old neighbour [and an old work colleague of Murphy's] John McEvoy caught Deep Purple in Belfast the other week [ and I am being bored senseless about it on our regular walks to Rostrevor and back..and I mean bored senseless.."Ian Gillan looked really fetching" that type of nonsense...thank goodness our walk is accentuated by regular encounter's with noble citizenry the calibre of PG and Leo Tinnelly,John Fleming,Drummer McGivern,Sam Cooper,Bud Reilly,Paddy McClorey,Gerry Fearon,Paul Heaney,Dennis Hourican,Jim Boylan,Roger Connelly and Connor Tinnelly,and these good people have no idea what a most welcome relief they provide in relation to McEvoy's mind numbing mantra "oh how I wish Ritchie Blackmore would rejoin Deep Purple". McEvoy's wife rather against her better judgement went with him [ out of a strong sense of loyalty to her husband Martina will not admit to the whole experience being hellish but I know it was as she is more a "Flock of Seagull's/Depeche Mode type of gal] but his night was made when he encountered your fella Jim [and fellow Purpleist] .. the two of them then spent the next several hour's shaking their head's,or whatever heavy rockist's do in these situation's, to the strain's of din's like "Black Knight" and so on :-O .After the gig and after he had bade his old mate adieu,the Mac's with their impeccable middle class credential's flourishing repaired to the Jharna Restaurant on the Lisburn Road for a sumptious late evening repast,heralding the evening an unrivalled triumph..."Heat I know your background is a humble one and out of necessity you have been exposed to rudimentary,let us say basic fayre,but you really should educate your palate to accept a more exotic type of quisine".. told you he was middle class!!! ... McEvoy [inconsolable at the recent passing of Egon Ronay]once stormed out of the Michael Caine owned Langan's Brasserie in London,because his dessert wine was corked..but that is a story for another day. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flaming is "When someone goes on a website or forum and leaves messages that others might find offensive"

For a more in-depth meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29

When a member posts a remark that they mean in a light hearted way they should use one of the "smilies" to show that (or add a "just kidding" below it) It also helps if the person who makes the comment is known to the other member. However, the people making the comment should remember that a private joke between themselves and another member may not seem so funny to others - and indeed with the lack of face to face contact the other member may not even get the joke, and this leads to a retaliation and then further comments and it all spirals out of control very quickly.

We have had a good bit of "banter" in this thread and long may it continue, unfortunately some members seem to have failed to get the message that continued "slagging" of another member on here anonymously will simply not be tolerated. David has my full authority to remove/ban/warn any member as he is completely impartial and does not know anyone here except me.

Sorry to have to remind people but we do have rules in here and I am not the only person watching :watch it:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next