oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:51 pm 

Fair do's, Brian, It must have been a doozy. Sooner forgotten the better. Onwards and Upwards.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 pm 

pixi66six wrote:
G-pa with his new huge fella... and the wee grand babies... Trevor and Jordan.

This guy is called Bodie,
http://www.bodie.com/

Named after bodie, the ghost town that i have visited on occasion, a facinating place. in the middle of a wilderness, great stuff for the western buffs, Web-site above. have a look, see what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 pm 

Roy Rogers pal, Trigger, is up for sale at Christie's auction as well as lots of item's from the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans museum, the museum used to be in Victorville, Ca, but closed a while ago and moved to Branson, Mo.
That's a fine big horse there you have at your corral Yimmy, you could put a bid in for Trigger, they reckon he might go for $ 200,000, at least you won't have to worry about hay, carrots and dung. :stirpot:
http://www.royrogers.com will get you to a very interesting site and also links to the auction site so you can get your bid in.

JH Got the pic's from the Purple men, how old are these guys, is their social security checks not enough for them ? they have to go on stage and take money from soon to be OAP's like our lad and Macker's, tacky.
Off to the Auld Dubliner Pub for a few a little later to see local outfit, The Tijuana Dogs, they open the show with a splendid rendition of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" and follow up with "Jackson", then a few of Murphy's favourite's, including Clive Dunn's "Grandad" better put a :D in there so the lad's upstairs don't feel the need to do any spanking ;)
Right Murphy, enjoy that Big Bodie and I'll see ya soon :cheers:

A wee bit of Rockabilly 4 Yimmy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsMo859YsKw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:10 am 

look what I found.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwi-I5fg48[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 pm 

That is brilliant Murphy......I didn't know that film existed.Patricia Grattan looks fantastic in it and what a voice!!!!!!!!
What is the name of the Irish actor featured in that clip ;--) I was thinking Joseph Tomelty but I don't think that's right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 pm 

Quote:
What is the name of the Irish actor featured in that clip ;--) I was thinking Joseph Tomelty but I don't think that's right.

Joanne, was his name J.G. Devlin, the same man who played Tom Kerrigan the pub owner in Murphy's favourite film "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"
J.G. was a Belfast man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:40 am 

J G Devlin quite correct CD,actually over the lunch hour the other day I happend upon [one of the satellite channels] an old episode of The Champions [Sharon McCready,Craig Stirling etc] and who should appear only the bold J G, episode was made in and around the same time as the movie which featured Patricia Grattan .. can I say I think CD merit's some form of signal honour for simply mentioning "Darby O Gill And The Little People".. how well I recall watching it all those many years ago in the Foy..the scene Darby shared with the animated "Banshee" scared the bejaysus out of me [thought for dramatic effect I would slip into the parlance/mode of the movie]..still does.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:48 pm 

A question for all the film buffs.Who was the English actor with J.G. Devlin?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:42 pm 

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/120081/ ... g/overview
This might answer a few questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 pm 

Nicol Williamson is that actors name.
We saw that movie in The Finchley Gaumont or Odeon in 1970, the one up at Tallyho Corner. There was a splendid little pub up there where Murphy, the late Ben Byrne, David Duffy, Buster Moore, Terrry Heaney, the late Sean McStay and myself use to repair to after visiting the local cinema.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:21 pm 

dukestreet wrote:
Nicol Williamson is that actors name.
We saw that movie in The Finchley Gaumont or Odeon in 1970, the one up at Tallyho Corner. There was a splendid little pub up there where Murphy, the late Ben Byrne, David Duffy, Buster Moore, Terrry Heaney, the late Sean McStay and myself use to repair to after visiting the local cinema.

What a memory You got there Duke, CD has the same gift, i can barley remember this morning,( especially the $50 he loaned me) but snippets do come around now and again, so it's good to get a memory jog, still can't recall seeing the movie though, or the cinema, Had drink been taken? perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:38 pm 

Just a mention on the passing of James Gammon, down near CD in Costa Mesa, Cal. Another man who brought us many hours of entertainment over the years. Maybe Brian or JH could post a picture. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gammon

James Gammon as Cal Mason from "The Virginian"

edit by Brian: Picture and info added

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 am 

sorry to hear of the passing of great old TV western stalwart Jame Gammon .. what a cv The Virginian,Lancer,High Chaparral,The Monroe's,Gunsmoke,Bonanza..I particularly recall his role as Charlie Goodnight in "Street's of Laredo" alongside the likes of Sissy Spacek,Sam Shepard and James Garner.James Gammon was also a very well respected performer in Theatre,the winner of several awards, he was particularly close to Sam Shepard [I have just read a tribute by Shepard in the L A Times which is very interesting and gives a much broader description of Gammon not only as an actor but as a person as well]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 pm 

http://www.thegoodmovie.com/
Lads, ladies too,
Have a butcher's at the progress. Click also on the :locations and camera shoots (2nd frame) yery interesting, the music he chose. Here's hoping it get's picked up, or it will be straight to the bargain basement bin. If anyone, especially outside the US would care to send comments to Tony, i'm sure he would appreciate it. he really works hard on the western genre.
Thanks all, Murphy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 am 

murphy where have you gone,missouri?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 pm 

pablo, mi amigo, going to the land of Jesse James, Bonnie & Clyde, Brad Pitt, on Tuesday. CD wants to amble along, but other than the Cow Tipping contest, not a lot in Missouri, although Fayetville has the #2 biker rally, next to Sturgis, I might bring my Triumph Bonneville America cruiser, for a spin round the block, I hope there is no helmet laws down there.
Helmet laws suck, especially for cruisers.

Manana,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:50 pm 

Trevor 1st soccer practice ...

Attachments:
Photo0060.jpg
Photo0060.jpg [ 108.76 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
Photo0059.jpg
Photo0059.jpg [ 77.04 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
Photo0057.jpg
Photo0057.jpg [ 59.68 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
Photo0056.jpg
Photo0056.jpg [ 57.04 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
Photo0055.jpg
Photo0055.jpg [ 93.52 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
Photo0054.jpg
Photo0054.jpg [ 32.49 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 am 

Hey Murphy,

Love the pics of Trevor in his Down strip! Bet his granda loves taking him to soccer practice.

Love to all.

G.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm 

He is so happy with it, that, I cannot bring myself to tell him about Cork!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 pm 

What about getting that young lad's name down for the Green Roosters. :iagree:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 am 

young Trevor looks like he can trap and control the ball [ obviously Murphy and Trevor slip off to football practice without CD]..these abilities where never prerequisites for inclusion in a Greenrooster's select..Trevor if you are ever in he Point the Yellowhammer's would be glad to have you.. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:24 pm 

Relax there boys, "Trap it like Trevor" is taking all offers under consideration, including endorsements, and a possible option of the Bio-Pic Docudrama outlining the history and formation of the 'Big Four' world famous football teams, and the man who created them.
I know the names of the teams, but did the League have a name? (memory block again, another 60's moment)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:44 pm 

It was alway's called 'Ted's League,' after Ted Bradley the schoolteacher who inaugaurated the League from lads who attended St. Peter's Primary School.
The League was originally formed in the Spring of 1959, and all the games were initially played in The Platts.
The 4 teams were the Blue Flashes, (Clonallon Gardens area); The Green Roosters (The Congo/Lower Dromore Road area); The Red Stars, (centre of the town front shore etc.) and The Yellow Hammers, (Forth Avenue, Iveagh Avenue and Dromore Terrace area).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am 

In my time at St Peter's the Yellowhammer's where very successful mainly due to the trojan efforts of lad's like Gaby Heatley,Liam Stewart,Fourthroad,Roger Sherry,Liam Leddy,Harry Carville, Mickey Dinsmore,Jim McNulty and latterly Emmett Thomas McGivern. Emmett was of the same post code that provided the Yellowhammers with such stalwarts as David Duffy,Raymond,Lee and Kieran Mullan in earlier years. For some reason Emmett's erudite older brother Patrick "Gigger's" elected to play for the Red's [possibly as a result of Patrick and Gervaise O Hare being big pals way back then .. one day at the Platts a group of slightly older lads from Forth/Iveagh Avenue [by then all at school in Newry] stopped by to cheer us on [this noble assembly included big Ambrose Sherry,Pine Heatley,John Boyle,Gerry McCormack,John Rice,Benny Leddy,Michael Smyth,George Magee,Patrick Magee,Paul Dinsmore,Jimmy Dinsmore and our Harry [ actually come to think of it I am quite prepared to wager a sizeable amount that a good portion of that grouping had not actually attended lesson's that day] we where under pressure and a shot was squirming under the body of our custodian Dabby Stewart and was goal bound,that is until our Harry standing behind the goal stuck out his Chelsea boot and cleared the ball off the line :> ..all hell broke loose,Ted was furious,we where greatful and a bit of a ruckus broke out on the pitch [we must have been jousting with the Blues or the Green's because had it been the Red's Ted would most surely have allowed the goal!]..the likes of Gerry Boyle,Gerry Nash Leddy and I wisely elected not to get involved in the melee,mainly as a result of having a finely tuned sense of self preservation..mid fracas I remember looking around and seeing that Dabby had still not got down fully for the original shot!!![ think either Gary Sprake 1970 FA Cup Final or Peter Shilton for England against Poland 1973]..another fiesty encounter I recall involved the aforementioned Patrick McGivern and John Dinsmore [Red's v Green's] colliding in a bone jarring manner which resulted in John breaking his collar bone..Patrick ever the corinthian was distraught... [Patrick if you are looking in I have it on firm authority that John was not feeling great at this precise juncture either!!] ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:12 am 

The western is back again, Christmas can't come quick enough, looking forward to seeing this one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUiCu-zuAgM[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 am 

Open's here on Jan 11th 2011!.the superb Jeff Bridges will make a splendid Reuben J "Rooster" Cogburn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:30 pm 

http://studios.amazon.com/movies/2887
Have a look here lads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:14 pm 

Caught a movie the other night, The Spikes Gang, the title was not too compelling, but as it starred Lee Marvin, I had a look, Pretty good, made in Almaria i think, spagetti I suppose. Anyway it gave me reason to ponder, are there others out there that I may have missed.

CD got Lonesome dove, I just got The Culpepper Cattle company, The Wild Bunch and Chato's Land.

looking for Evil Roy. Jh & F road might know of a few I have missed to add to the collection list,
I'll be looking in my stocking,

Open Range
On the wings of a dove
The Spikes Gang
Culpepper
The Long Riders

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:26 pm 

I never get bored of watching 'Hombre,' just to watch the scene where Paul Newman tells the surprised stage coach robbers, they may have seen him before at Delgado's, moments before he shoots them.
Richard Boone as 'Cicero Grimes', what a baddie. Priceless.
'Missouri Breaks' for all its flaws, I find a compelling western, and never tire of Brando's dreadful Irish accent.
The 'Ox-bow Incident' made back in the 1940's, is a very underrated western. Witness the villanous Miss Jane Darwell in the middle of the lynch - mob/posse, slendid casting, after she had such a sympathetic role as the harassed mother in the excellent 'Grapes of Wrath.
'Monte Walsh' and 'Will Penny' are two other good 'warts 'n' all' Westerns.
I have to agree with you 'The Culpepper Cattle Company' is up there with the best of them. I remember Brendan Heatley, Stewardy, Smythe and myself thumbing up to the Savoy in Newry to see that movie, I think it was about 1975 during the winter. One would hardly go out for a bucket of coal to put on the fire nowadays. :xmasmad: :xmascheesygrin:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:22 am 

The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid,Valdez is Coming, Ulzana's Raid and anything with Strother Martin..enjoy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next