oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 am 

dukestreet wrote:
Freddie Martin was a great character, he married a widowed woman with a family, from near Drogheda, and about 1973/74 (I think), went to live near that woman's home place.
He became a sextant or caretaker in a Church of Ireland parish down there, but I never heard of him again. There are some great stories about Freddie when he worked for Carvilles.
Where did Freddie live originally in the town/country?
Wasn't he a brother of the late Sammy Martin who lived up in Ballydesland, Sammy passed away a few years ago.
Sammy was true gentleman, and to meet him on the road, you would leave him a happier person, as he was such good crack.
He moved down from Ballydesland, and latterly he lived just up from Jack White's Corner, where Miss Studdard lived. Maybe Liz Weir could add something about the late Sammy, as her family were virtually niegbours. :dance3: :dance3:

Dukestreet ! I remember Freddie living in a small cottage off the Upper Dromore Rd almost opposite McMahons, at the top of that hill there was a small lane to the right running up the side of Flemings`Bog, Martins house was at the top of that lane,about two hundred yards from the road .......................................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 am 

George Williamson wrote:
Hello, Sure it's great to read all the news and history, so wonderfully written and remembered by your members. I arrived in the Point around 1940 - by train from Belfast. Warrenpoint has always been my home and it is said "where the heart lies the feet wander". When I go back to Ireland it is to Warrenpoint. Many of the people I see in the old picture I recognize immediately, even myself.. Over the years I have met several people from the Point in various parts of the world. I visited the late Maurice Whitten in Toronto on a few occasions and now and again have a pint with my old friend Jack O Hare who ressides in Richmond - about forty minutes from where I live. I stay in touch with several of my old friends, the live ones of course, the departed ones refuse to speak to me.

I have never found another place in the world where the humour could be compared with the Irish. Jack Mc Guffin had a little shoe store beside the Town Hall. I spent many an hour in the little repair shop behind the main shop speaking with him and Willie. I'm sure some people in the town will remember a character called Freddie Martin. Anyway I was in Jack's repair shop one day and Freddie arrived to pick up his boots. Jack handed over a very large pair of sparbled boots and remarked " A fine pair of boots Freddie" Freddie replied " I indeed Jack, good strong go-to-meeting boots". Just a little mirth quaker i have always remembered.

Lovely post there George..
Freddie Martin lived for a time in the area in which I grew up I recall him as the essense of civility..never went out without his trilby replete with feathered headband..after he left Forth Road I think I am right in sayying he lived in Clermont Gardens for a time....Love that "good strong go to Meeting boot's" line..it conjures up images of Revivals and Travelling Medicine show's... could have be coined by Steinbeck or Le May and delivered by the like's of Jane Darwell or Olive Carey...thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:19 pm 

Hi George, lovely to see you here. I'm Deirdre McKevitt's daughter and Eva's niece, it's been a very long time since I saw you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:38 pm 

Topdeck wrote:
Hello everyone ,
Would like to fomally introduce myself to the Forum,my name is Siobhan, daughter of Meeting Street and sister of two other forum members Katiedee&Clonallon.Joined the forum in February and I'm really enjoying the trip down memory lane...
Thank you for setting up this site Brian and making it all possible...... :-):-)
Love everything and anything to do with Warrenpoint.... :--)

Believe it or not,I'm just after noticing this @=) .Welcome to the forum Topdeck,I haven't seen you in years :cheers2:
All the best, Doobie Brother :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 pm 

Believe it or not,I'm just after noticing this @=) .Welcome to the forum Topdeck,I haven't seen you in years :cheers2:
All the best, Doobie Brother :thumbs:[/quote]

Thank-you, Doobie Brother I think, I have figured out who you are now. That's the great thing about the forum, you meet people you haven't seen for years. Hope all is well with you. :--)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am 

Hi Everyone,

Great site, I've been enjoying the stories and photos for months (it helps satisfy my "homesick" cravings!), and finally got around to register (no avatar yet, I'll get to that eventually!).

Anyway, I was born in the U.S., so although I guess technically not an "ex-pat", I certainly feel like one. I'm the younger son of Peggy Dinsmore and Rick McAvoy. I've made numerous visits to the Point, several in the mid to late '60's as a baby and toddler, and then my family temporarily moved back, from June '74 to April '75. We lived with my granny Dinsmore and uncle John in Clonallon Gardens and it was quite an experience for a young boy, one I'll always treasure. I didn't come "home" again until 1992, and then made return trips in 1997, 2003, and most recently August 2008 with my wife and two children.

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can out here!

Gordon :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 am 

missingthepoint - Welcome to the Forum.
I have never met you, but your late Mom and
I were 1st cousins.
Granny Dinsmore and my mother were sisters.
I knew your father Ricky and what a nice man
he was.
This is what the Forum is all about, finding out
who is who and are they related.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:12 pm 

Welcome to the forum 'missingthepoint', hope to see you joining in the craic :--)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:03 pm 

:--) missingthepoint-welcome to the forum......I'm from Clonallon Gardens and I can remember you and your brother Ricky visiting Warrenpoint in the 70's .It's nice to know you have been back on holidays with your own family...Take care and I hope you enjoy the forum (be prepared it can become addictive)..... :-C ..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 am 

Welcome aboard missingthepoint :clapping:

Small world... I see you're from Barnegat NJ....my wife is from just up the parkway, Tom's River and we lived in Brick for 10 years before moving to Florida.... we used to play a lot of golf at Ocean Acres down your neck of the woods :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm 

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. It's somewhat amazing to me that in the short time since I registered, I've learned that xpaddy is a relative on my grandmother's side, Topdeck is a former neighbor in Clonallon Gardens, and whitestar used to live in the same county as I do in New Jersey. Truly a small world!

I hope to start joining in soon with posts in the regular boards. I have many photos of our trip to Warrenpoint (actually, we stayed with my cousin Kate and her husband Phil in Killowen) last August that I'd like to share, so I'll have to get working on that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 pm 

Welcome missingthepoint! Love your penname!
Whitestar, I have been to Toms River...know a couple of folks there, fancy your wife being from there!!
This forum has so many shoots now don't know where Brian will put them all!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 pm 

Padraigin wrote:
Welcome missingthepoint! Love your penname!
Whitestar, I have been to Toms River...know a couple of folks there, fancy your wife being from there!!
This forum has so many shoots now don't know where Brian will put them all!!!

Little known fact... the house filmed for The Amityville Horror was actually in Tom's River as the film-makers weren't allowed to use the real house for the movie http://popartpete.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/amityville-film-festival-to-kick-off-2008-free-movies-on-the-beach-in-seaside-heights/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 pm 

Hello, My name is Niamh Ni Chathmhaoil - Caulfield - My family owned a tailors in church street & i'm interested in anyone who can tell me about going into 6 Church street & dealing with my great aunt Nelly & great uncle Tom or anyone who remembers Caulfield & Sons tailors which is now Raffles. My dad tells tails of my granddad being in the IRB & i have a foto of him in the free state uniform & i would love to hear any information about him, i would love to hear anything about my relations (nelly was a very 'determined shall we say' woman!) good or bad i don't care just love hearing the storys so please tell all, thanks :--)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:24 am 

Welcome niamhni......hope you enjoy the forum...... :--)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm 

hi everyone, una,s girl here. my granda and grandma lived at 40 post office st. (now mary st.) way back in the 1920,s.they had 3 girls, eileen, angela and una, una being my mum. i was born at the above adress 1945 and mum and i moved to england a couple of years later. my dad was an american soldier who was billeted in the point in 1944. we used to come back home nearly every year to w/point and stayed with granda in post office st. i remember the mcgills who lived next door and a lad called john> daley/daly. grandma was angela livinia owens from rostrevor. sadly i never knew her as she passed away at the tender age of 32yrs. leaving granda to raise 3 small girls. i was home again 14th-21st june this year 2010 and had a great time. just love the site. all for now, patricia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 pm 

Una's girl - it's nice to know your history, even though
I didn't know your family.
My husband's family moved to 40 Mary St when he was
about 7. That was 1950. He lived there until
he and I both emigrated to Canada in 1964.
He is a Magill and a cousin to the Magills next door.
I was also born in Post Office St.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:04 pm 

xpaddy wrote:
Una's girl - it's nice to know your history, even though
I didn't know your family.
My husband's family moved to 40 Mary St when he was
about 7. That was 1950. He lived there until
he and I both emigrated to Canada in 1964.
He is a Magill and a cousin to the Magills next door.
I was also born in Post Office St.

And then you moved to the posh side of town ;) :--)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 pm 

xpaddy, amazing that your husbands family lived in the house where i was born but is he sure it was 1950 as i am sure we were still visiting granda at post office st. when i was older than 5 yrs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 am 

gap - how could I ever forget. :D :--)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:45 am 

una's girl - You are right.
He was 9 years old when he
moved to there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 pm 

Hello Warrenpoint theres no place like home.

Liebra Malocca here Born in Daisey hill Newry, brought up with the beautiful smell of fish and chips and home made ice cream in the Cosmopolitan Cafe. yip second eldest to Thomas and Lila Malocca the square warrenpoint.

I left Ireland in 1985 to the wonderful USA. Lived in NY for 15 yrs and now reside in sunny south florida for ten yrs. I am a freelance Photographer/Videographer own my own business and love my life day after day.

But i can't help but always have warrenpoint on my mind. And finally i will return to Ireland this October 2010 to finally get married to my Brasilian born Partner or seven yrs.

Hope we bump into you.

Take care
Liebra Malocca
LBM Photography Inc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:35 am 

:wedding: CONGRATULATIONS :wedding:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am 

Congratulations Liebra.
You're brining back memories here,

Malocca's ice cream, now that was really something, a real treat when I was a child.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:iagree:

Well done and congratulations :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 pm 

:iagree: too....
Well done and Congratulations to you both ...... :wedding2:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 pm 

Hi Folks
Having recently joined the forum I would like to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Philip Crozier was born and brought up in Warrenpoint and llived in Slieve Foy Place. In March 1948 three months before my fifteenth birthday I started working in the Box Factory then Thompson and Norris. In 1954 I was transferred to the Edinburgh factory and for the rest of my working days I worked in several locations both in the U.K. and Europe and finally retired as Deputy General Manager in Edinburgh. I now live in Falkirk, Stirlingshire but do regularly return to Warrenpoint to visit the rest of my relations. I thoroughly enjoy browsing the various topics in the forum especially the numerous items about the Box Factory and recall many of my old friends and former workmates sadly many are no longer with us. I would love to hear from anyone that remembers me.
Kindest regards to the team and keep up the excellant work

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm 

Hi Philip, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find it interesting........although I've been a member for over two years I still come across stuff I hadn't seen before! I spent most of my childhood summers in the fifties at the end of Slieve Foy Place/corner of Springfield Road with my uncle and aunt, Billy and Eleanor Hulme. I remember Croziers, Hulls, Prescotts, Conways etc. living in Slieve Foy......and of course Miss Wood's little shop! They were great times. I eventually married a 'Point man, Brian Murphy from The Square, in 1969 and have lived here ever since. Sadly Brian passed away in 2006.
I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing any photos you may post in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:15 pm 

I have a question for anyone who has the answer HOW DO I GO ABOUT ADDING PICTURES ON HERE TKS.

Liebra Malocca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm 

Tess your very welcome to the forum :--) hope Victor is Keeping well :rotfl: Now say hello to the forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next