oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:43 pm 

Hi. Mdhughw my name is Audrey & Marty is the hubby,
My maiden name was Gillan my mum is pearl & dad is benny
I have one brother Richie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm 

Thanks for that Marty's Girl.......now to get my thinking cap on :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 pm 

Thanks to Deirdre, Brenda & PatMG for your warm welcomes!
Quite amazing that in the initial response Deirdre hits the spot......yes Maureen Toombs was my aunt....maiden name same as mine as her father was my fathers brother from Newry. Maureen had (has) a sister Sheila...not sure where they are now (am I ashamed of this?)
My family lived for a few years at St Leonard's - father sold it to Down Co Welfare as it was at that time - broke our hearts to have to leave and even worse to see years later after a lot of controversy converted to apts and houses in the grounds. Wish now I had purchased one of them.
Perhaps Deirdre can recall more about Maureen...did you know her before or was it after she married?
I look forward to developing our conversations!
Many thanks everyone!
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:10 pm 

Marty,s Girl wrote:
Hi. Mdhughw my name is Audrey & Marty is the hubby,
My maiden name was Gillan my mum is pearl & dad is benny
I have one brother Richie.

Hello Audrey ...a former neighbour of yours from the old Drumsesk Place here ! I meet Richard on a regular basis.......have not seen your good self for a while !

Post subject: Re: oldest member
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm 

bornandbred wrote:
No, Paddy- you're bandsman, I'm "bornandbred"! Seriously though, I love this site, specially seeing old photos of people I've known all my life, which is quite a long time! I'm pretty sure I'm the 2nd oldest site-member. From the content of mcelaura's posts, I think the senior position belongs to him/her? I wish more "oldies" would participate!

Just been re-reading this thread & decided to take up Brian's challenge re ages of active members - I have 7 grandchildren, & lets just say I'm on the wrong side of 60!

a late ps: seems there's been some confusion about my user name of late-several people have been asked if they are "bornandbred" & since most forum members are, they reply "yes, of course I'm "bornandbred".........so no offense, it's just the first thing that came to mind when I was joining! Also, I now know I'm not the 2nd oldest member, I'm a bit further down the list!

When I get older, losing my hair (it's gone) many years from now (not any actually) Probably not the oldest granda on the site but I did nurse Brian as a baby! His mum (my big sister) could beat me by a few years!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:03 pm 

Victor,I'm sure you've put a bit of colour in Brian's face tonight with that information....was he a "yappy"baby :(( ....demanding ::-(( .....a right little rascal ;) (c'mon you can tell us,he'll never know :rotfl: )or was he starting to show potential being a "snappy"baby ,picking up the odd camera or two :photo: :photo: ....running his little fingers over the keyboard of a computer :-C finding his way in technology........whatever was in his little mind then certainly progressed with his expertise of creating this site and giving so many people the joy of keeping in touch with their roots, :thumbs: BRIAN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 pm 

Victor you can relax you are definately not the oldest on site i would be nearer your Glynis's age I was 67 in February this year. I am Donaghaguy[ Wim Wilson] formerly from the Waterworks. I left the point on 8th August 1960 and have never returned to live there, i first spent 4 yrs in Co Fermanagh before going to Belfast to work and retired in February 2007. Of course after three months of retirement i had the obligatory heart attack[two much food and booze] spent 10 weeks in hospital and wound up with a triple bypass. I have two sons and four grandchildren[both boys had a boy and a girl]. I live at Carrowdore on the Ards Peninsula and up till now made few trips to the Point but since joining the site in January 2009 am determined to change that. My youngest sons little boy Matthew is 6 years old and has Aspergers Syndrome, he can be very blunt and certainly does not do tact. He and I are great mates so I suppose the best description of me would be Matthew's. "GRANDA YOU ARE TOO OLD AND TOO FAT AND YOU HAVE BALDY COLOURED HAIR" What can i say except thats me.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:07 am 

Donaghaguy........I can tell you that you are not the oldest member of the forum.I know of at least three members who have a few years on you ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 am 

Welcome to the forum Terry, think I remember your grandmother from many years back when my aunt (Eleanor Hulme) lived in 20 Springfield Road, on the corner of Springfield Road and Slieve Foy Place. Hope you enjoy the forum and meeting lots of 'Point people from here and all over the world....it's a great site!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:23 am 

Greengreengrass would your aunt be the white haired lady I knew as Mrs Hulmes who lived along from us in Seaview when I was a child?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm 

Thanks too all for the welcome.
A lot off you may remember my uncle John (RIP) he called the bingo in the wee hall, his son is Micheal. My grandparents was Mary (Mini) & John they live at 20 mourne drive many years ago sadly they are no longer with us. My mum pearl was home help for Joe Cooper for many years up until Joe went in to the nursing home were he spent his last few years.My dad Benny was a painter & decorator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:22 pm 

Hi. Patmgo7
I remember you & your sisters very well
It is 19 years since i have lived in Drumsesk place
and i still say they should have left it the way it was (All good memories)
mum & dad are still living there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:31 pm 

Marion wrote:
Greengreengrass would your aunt be the white haired lady I knew as Mrs Hulmes who lived along from us in Seaview when I was a child?

The very one Marion! They moved to there from Springfield Road and eventually to Avoca Lawns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marty,s Girl wrote:

yep, right across the road from me :D hello Audrey and everybody else new to the forum :--)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:58 pm 

greengreengrass wrote:
Marion wrote:

The very one Marion! They moved to there from Springfield Road and eventually to Avoca Lawns.

I live in Springfield Road now! - which house did she live in?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:05 pm 

Marion wrote:
greengreengrass wrote:
Marion wrote:

I live in Springfield Road now! - which house did she live in?

The one on the corner as you turn into Slieve Foy (on the right hand side).... Jimmy Cumming lived there for many years after Hulmes left, but I'm not sure who lives there now. I loved that house, spent many happy holidays there as a child... half the town used to play in the garden!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:18 pm 

That's the next house down from us but I don't know who lives there either...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm 

Hello again Marty's Girl,I've got you now (and your connections) ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 pm 

greengreengrass wrote:
Welcome to the forum Terry, think I remember your grandmother from many years back when my aunt (Eleanor Hulme) lived in 20 Springfield Road, on the corner of Springfield Road and Slieve Foy Place. Hope you enjoy the forum and meeting lots of 'Point people from here and all over the world....it's a great site!

Hello greengreengrass!
Good memory - a long time ago! Grandmother (fathers mother) lived at number 22 Springfield Rd...corner house. So they were close neighbours. She was a very quiet private person who never mixed much. She eventually came to live with us in Belfast and passed away at the age of 91or 92.
Yes - a great site!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:08 am 

Marty,s Girl wrote:
Hi. Patmgo7
I remember you & your sisters very well
It is 19 years since i have lived in Drumsesk place
and i still say they should have left it the way it was (All good memories)

One little memory stiks in my mind. You may remember a little dog we had called Topsy, back in the mid 70's and the evening he was hit by a car outside our house. Little Topsy was thankfully blessed with nine lives (just like a cat) and somehow suvived the accident. Despite rolling over several times underneath the car he managed to get back to the house ..a bit shocked and sore. About 20 minutes after the accident a deputation of local children ...including your good self.....arrived at our front door asking, with sad looks and sorrowful tones......'Is he dead yet?' !!!!!! Well, I can tell you Topsy was around for many years after that and moved with us to Queen Street. He finally went to that big 'Kennel' in the sky some time around '87 or 88'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:52 am 

Hello, Sure it's great to read all the news and history, so wonderfully written and remembered by your members. I arrived in the Point around 1940 - by train from Belfast. Warrenpoint has always been my home and it is said "where the heart lies the feet wander". When I go back to Ireland it is to Warrenpoint. Many of the people I see in the old picture I recognize immediately, even myself.. Over the years I have met several people from the Point in various parts of the world. I visited the late Maurice Whitten in Toronto on a few occasions and now and again have a pint with my old friend Jack O Hare who ressides in Richmond - about forty minutes from where I live. I stay in touch with several of my old friends, the live ones of course, the departed ones refuse to speak to me.

I have never found another place in the world where the humour could be compared with the Irish. Jack Mc Guffin had a little shoe store beside the Town Hall. I spent many an hour in the little repair shop behind the main shop speaking with him and Willie. I'm sure some people in the town will remember a character called Freddie Martin. Anyway I was in Jack's repair shop one day and Freddie arrived to pick up his boots. Jack handed over a very large pair of sparbled boots and remarked " A fine pair of boots Freddie" Freddie replied " I indeed Jack, good strong go-to-meeting boots". Just a little mirth quaker i have always remembered.

I knew the late Matt Doran. From time to time I played in the Silver Band and the INF band along with Tomsie Annett to the chagrin of many the the village. There was a terrific trombone player in the INF band "what's his name" anyway Matt maintained that he was a terrific instrumentalist because he had a lower lip like a pound of liver. These stories can go on-and-on because of all the interesting people I met in Warrenpoint during my youth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:14 am 

Would the trombone player be Mickey Hourican?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

What are you trying to say , the gap ? ::-(( :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:41 pm 

point lass wrote:

OH OH :getmecoat: Well i did read it the first time at 5 am :D you niver miss a thing,wonder who you get that from ;) :--)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:44 pm 

the gap wrote:
point lass wrote:

OH OH :getmecoat: Well i did read it the first time at 5 am :D you never miss a thing,wonder who you get that from ;) :--)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:54 pm 

the gap wrote:
point lass wrote:

OH OH :getmecoat: Well i did read it the first time at 5 am :D you niver miss a thing,wonder who you get that from ;) :--)

As you all can see i made a cock up in my reply,why can i not edit my reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm 

Hi George,

I believe you stayed with my Uncle Willie Larmour in Warrenpoint. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Linda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 pm 

Hello George Williamson,
As I said in my note to greengreengrass - we used to stay with my g/mother on Springfield Rd. Jack & Turlough O'Hare were close friends at the time we all went to school. We had great times rowing and sailing in the lough, gathering eels etc!
I would be grateful if you would pass on my alternate email address to him:
terry.mccomish@gmx.com
Regards & many thanks
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:31 pm 

Freddie Martin was a great character, he married a widowed woman with a family, from near Drogheda, and about 1973/74 (I think), went to live near that woman's home place.
He became a sextant or caretaker in a Church of Ireland parish down there, but I never heard of him again. There are some great stories about Freddie when he worked for Carvilles.
Where did Freddie live originally in the town/country?
Wasn't he a brother of the late Sammy Martin who lived up in Ballydesland, Sammy passed away a few years ago.
Sammy was true gentleman, and to meet him on the road, you would leave him a happier person, as he was such good crack.
He moved down from Ballydesland, and latterly he lived just up from Jack White's Corner, where Miss Studdard lived. Maybe Liz Weir could add something about the late Sammy, as her family were virtually niegbours. :dance3: :dance3:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:11 am 

Gap - I think when you next visit Clonallon Gds,
you'd better make arrangements to go in the
back way. :rotfl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next