oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Should the amusements have been moved out of the square.
Yes 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 30
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is an ongoing running poll and as this is a historic site (and not Facebook) all views and reply's will be recorded for future generations so please be thoughtful and respectful when giving your answers or reasons below (as I won't be editing any of them!)

Background
For yet another year, the amusements have been relocated by Newry Mourne and Down Council to the car park beside the breakwater (Osborne Car Park) There have been amusements and fairs in Warrenpoint square for hundreds of years. Indeed the Hall family designed the square so it could be used as such and it was never ever meant to be a car park.

Poll options
The options are simply Yes or No but I would ask those that respond to also reply below with their reasons to give some sort of balanced view as to why they think that way.

All posts must be strictly about the amusements and nothing else, other festivals and events will be covered (if needed) in future polls.

As site owner and admin I have to (as always) take a neutral stance and will not vote myself.

Non site members may reply on Facebook and I will link those replies here. (Or re-post them) And once again no anonymous posting is allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 pm 

Brian - I voted yes and the only reason
I did is because of the parking situation.

When you think of the Amusements, you
think of only one place, and that is the
Square.

But unfortunately the situation now can't
warrant that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:24 pm 

I know that moving the amusements to the seafront helps with the parking in Warrenpoint,and it's lovely to see them there........but I have resisted taking my grandchildren to the seafront three times in the past week because it has been too cold.If the funfair had been in the Square I wouldn't have thought twice about it !I think tomorrow is to be a good day so we will finally make it.These people are trying to make a living and they are loosing money when they are on the seafront.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 pm 

No they shouldn't have been moved from the Square, parking on the Square is just as bad as ever! The Square is just dead without amusements. Bring them back!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

It just seems strange not having them in the square. If you didn't know they were around the front you could easily drive through the town and miss them. They add an excitement and vibrancy.

Saying all that, I never actually use them and don't live in Warrenpoint any more so I could be missing a lot of valid reasons why they are better where they are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 pm 

As Brian has already mentioned above, the Square
was never designed to be a car park, it was an area
for the people to gather and enjoy events of every
description.

Tradition, and the wishes of the people of the town,
seem not to matter.

I, for one, would like to read the minutes of the
meeting where this decision was reached, and
the reasoned arguments put forward.

There is no shortage of other parking spaces
available for those prepared to walk a few yards.

It's time those elected by the people do right by
the people.

Bring the Amusements back to their original place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 pm 

The should not of been moved from the square, Warrenpoint not the same without the Amusements were they belong. :--)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Facebook Posts to date:

https://www.facebook.com/oldwarrenpointforum/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

This post will be edited every so often to add in any additional posts.

Eithna Corrigan Yes

Liz Weir My opinion is that the funfair should return to the Square. I know the parking is limited when the fair is in town but for the short time they are there surely it wouldn't kill us to walk a little further to the shops. It is also more sheltered for patrons in the Square than on the promenade.

Ruth Annett Id have to say yes. Due to the parking restrictions and limited parking especially for the elderly and disabled it makes sense to free up the square for parking. Holiday seasons always bring extra traffic requiring parking space.

Jen KellyAgree with you Liz, good point. Just not same atmosphere at shore.

Johan Temmink Bring them back!!

Anna O'Hagan I know there is little space in the Square for the funfair, but for the short time they are here , surely we could make room for them as they bring a bit of life to the town. How many went round the shore to see them???

Collette Waters Agree with liz they always were in square from I was young

Deirdre Larmour MurphyHistorically the fun fair has always been in the square. The square was left for the people of Warrenpoint to enjoy. In the first place it was never intended to be a car park. It is bunged up all day with cars parked from early morning to tea time. People leaving them there all day. I say let those park in the big space around the front shore. People are running to gyms to get fit but won't walk such a short distance. The fair should be in the Towns people's square.

Michael Reavey No keep in the square

Una Mcbennett Keep it round it shore. It looks better there and parents don't get tortured every time the kids are with them

Linda Ohare I agree funfare always was in the square when mcgiverns had it it was there for the whole summer Nd it brought life to the town thru need to b in square when people pass thru it encourages them to stop and then traders also do well let everyone go round the shore Znd park it is for short time love to cthem there brings life to the place

Linda Reavey In the square is where they shud be. It encourages ppl to stop in the town Think they should never of been asked to move in 1st place.

Myrtle Bradley I want them back in the square

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:25 pm 

bring back to square

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 pm 

Definitely, the square, only place for them. They are only here for a few weeks in the year. Our lovely square is just a great big car park - sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 am 

Can you imagine another square in scenic European towns/cities of the size and potential of 'Point square being used to accomodate noisy polluting amusement machines? Surely it could be utilised in a more imaginitive way.....landscaped to include stone benches/tables where people could have a sit down and plan their day in Warrenpoint area. Maybe a permanent bandstand for festival/charity events.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A quick google will show that quite a few town squares have amusements in them. Maybe a compromise could be reached with the less noisy (and more traditional types such as merry go rounds) could be accommodated and as for landscaping there were plans in once for that but as far as I remember they were rejected as there were not enough car parking spaces! (or money) I'm not straying too far from my neutral stance by pointing this out by the way ;) But from what I was told, compromise is something that certain council officials seem to lack.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=town+square+amusements&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJ1sOZ9fjSAhWCJMAKHflYDFUQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 am 

Your point is well made Brian !!...A lot of those examples are very easy on the eyes and I would not be averse to seeing similar in point square.
The emphasis on the examples shown would appear to be on enhancing their squares appearance while offering entertainment....Point amusements are totally money making whatever they look like...cram them in and make as much as possible!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:44 pm 

In response to Dabarry, wouldn't I love to see that too, but, you would not believe the fob offs I received when I wrote to query this decision.
The previous council had written to the home owners in the area asking their opinion of moving the hobbies to opposite the Forresters,
this council neither asked nor informed, and actually quoted the freedom of information act when initially asked...go figure!
Is there a class in fobbing off??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:45 pm 

Padraigin - I had a response from the Director of
Enterprise, Regeneration and Tourism re the change
of location.....as follows.

"Further to your recent enquiry regarding amusements in Warrenpoint I can advise the change of location was due to ongoing environmental improvement scheme works and to ensure sufficient parking was available in town square.
We will be reviewing further in the summer months."

Make of that as you will.!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 pm 

Well Dabarry, the work in the Square appears to be finished?
I had thought at the change of council, can we be any worse off,
silly of me!!! At least the Newry council asked the people first!

Wonder what the owners of the hobbies think?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 pm 

Think of the traffic chaos if the amusements returned to the square. Very limited parking spaces and also some of the very few disabled spaces may be taken out of use.
Where would the traffic park? East Street car park is no longer accessible via Kings Lane. Imagine the extra flow of traffic trying to access this car park either via Duke Street and East Street or from Summerhill. Access to Thomas Street car park is currently restricted via Mary Street due to deliveries to Euro Spar.
The traffic flow in front of Genoa/Diamonds and Tuck Shop is a nightmare. This is due to traffic not driving in the appropriately marked lanes.
From AIB corner to Eurospar is single lane and this is often obstructed with cars stopping to visit the Genoa or pickup for carry outs from Diamonds or nipping into Tuck Shop for a paper and also on the approach to the traffic lights. People even park on the pedestrian crossing. The approach to the pedestrian crossing should always be kept clear.
From Eurospar to AIB corner is 2 lane traffic. If driving this section and you want to turn right(as arrrowed on the road) into Church Street you are invariably met with traffic head-on in your lane. (Due to single lane in opposite direction being blocked.) In the scenario of an accident happening it would be interesting to see how an insurance claim would work out!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am 

If, as Jacana has said the situation at present regarding traffic and parking is bad, then moving the
amusements to the front shore hasn't made any difference and doesn't make the traffic any better.
So, bring them back to where they belong and where they have been for years.
Moving them has taken the heart and soul out of the square.
With regards to disabled spaces yes, there could still be spaces on the square for them as the amusements
don't take up all the room on it.

Anyway, there is plenty of parking space for able-bodied folk along the front shore from the baths to Rostrevor!!
It would do them good to get out of their cars and walk whilst enjoying the beautiful scenery.

I'll get down off my soap-box now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just as an aside to this (and trying to keep my neutral stance!) there are now MORE disabled spaces in the square than before. (and I have noticed a lot of people ignoring them and parking in them anyway) However, the "normal" spaces that are there are ridiculously small unless you drive a smart car. some are even different sizes! The traffic is certainly no different than before despite the crossing and clearly marked roads, enforcement on a grand scale seems the only likely way to solve it. (and then stand back and watch the complaints!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 pm 

Enforcement will inevitably lead to the
installation of parking meters......how
long before we see the Council follow
other Councils and charge for parking
all around the town.

I'm sure the financial number crunchers
are only too aware of the revenue that
could be available.

Ticket machines in the square...... :angry:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am 

Council don't charge for parking at meters - that's the Department for Infrastructure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

Connor Sweeney wrote:
Council don't charge for parking at meters - that's the Department for Infrastructure.

My point was that continued irresponsible parking
can only hasten the introduction of charges.

Who receives the £90 fine is irrelevant....just
another tax on the already heavily taxed motorist.

Stormont plans to bring in on-street parking charges
to towns all over the Province....so it's inevitable. ~x(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:46 pm 

Back to the question of the usage
of the Square, here is the agreed
final proposal contained within the
East Coast Masterplan 2013.

....... Pedestrian friendly spaces and an improved Town Square providing the focal point for people to gather, and for key events including the weekly market and music, arts and crafts events to take place. Cafés, bars and restaurants will help further animate this space both during the day and in the evening. The addition of a marina and extended promenade will link the Town Square and retail hub .....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah that worked out didn't it. *sarcasm mode off*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:44 pm 

Could the amusements not be located in the field at the bottom of The Bridal Lonan.
There would also be adequate parking for those wishing to use the facilities.
I cannot imagine that people in Newry would want their city car parks used as a location for amusements. They are located at The Middle Bank and people appear satisfied.
As for the comments by Mags, I can not envisage shoppers parking their cars between The Baths and Rostrevor carrying all their shopping back from the town....seems a punishment to our local shoppers and this would certainly not be attractive to visitors to the town who wish to shop.
Local residents pay rates which includes our use of local car parks.
SAVE OUR CARPARKS.
As noted by Brian re the additional disabled parking bays....... the return of the amusements would entail the giving up of approximately 4 of the additional bays.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Again, trying to stay neutral but my original point is getting lost here - the square was NEVER meant to be a car park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 pm 

Very true Brian. I remember the Square when it was surrounded by Boulders which were painted
White - so they could be seen at night -, to stop cars etc., from getting onto it and parking up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

Brian wrote:
Again, trying to stay neutral but my original point is getting lost here - the square was NEVER meant to be a car park.

WELL SAID THAT MAN :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 pm 

Brian - as you said the Square was
never meant to be a parking lot.
It would be nice if it was set up again as
a gathering place where vendors
could set up tables to sell plants, fruit and
vegetables
Maybe Saturday a.m.s.
Could this ever be possible.

Of course I grew up when the Fair day
was held there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:38 pm 

It would be much better if there weren't all those fixed kerbs and paths across the Square; then it could be used for a variety of events. An open square would look much bigger too, just look at any old photographs. The marking out of spaces and pathways could be done with paint much more cost effectively than the recent 'upgrade' in public realm works.

However as I type this, I now realise that that will NEVER happen due to our old friends in Health and Safety again. Imagine the outcry if cars could cross painted pathways?