oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Should the amusements have been moved out of the square.
Yes 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 30
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 pm 

I'm in favour of the amusements being in The Square, and I get that they were moved 'temporarily' as I was lead to believe, while the upgrade was being carried out around the town. Now that this 'essential' work has been completed, give the people what they want again. Put them back where they belong.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 pm 

Not a very representative poll !!! (24 in total)
With Warrenpoint having a population ,somewhere I presume , in the region of 10000 it would be very interesting to see what the result would be if we could have a pollster on duty some Friday/Saturday (when people are in town doing their weekly shopping) to undertake a survey.
(sorry but I'm not available!!!!)
I appreciate the work Brian has put into this but I feel it is an issue far beyond the "members" of the forum and should be addressed by our Chamber of Commerce .

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Think we should step back in time here a bit and look at what Kevin Mc Givern had to amuse the kids of the town,Kevin only took up a small part of the square to accommodate the kids (bumpers,swinging boats,Agatha's stall?,the ring stall and the kids merry go round) no call for music blasting all day. 5 amusements to keep kids and parents happy( never mind the cost ) all this in PART of the square leaving plenty of parking space.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 am 

:iagree:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was one of the compromises being suggested (that "traditional" rides should be allowed) discussions are ongoing however so I can't discuss anything. As to the poll being not "representative" it's still a lot better than any carried out by anyone else. Remember the "consultation" with council and the residents for example consisted of a letter posted through their doors the night before the amusements were moved!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:08 pm 

What letter would that have been? We did not receive!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Padraigin wrote:
What letter would that have been? We did not receive!

That was the one telling the Osbourne terrace residents they were coming around the shore in front of them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a number of petitions started now both on Facebook and online to get the amusements back to Warrenpoint square. So, if you agree with that then go sign them - and if you don't then don't (pretty simple really)

https://www.change.org/p/newry-mourne-down-district-council-bring-bell-s-amusements-back-to-warrenpoint-square?source_location=petition_nav

https://www.change.org/p/newry-mourne-and-down-district-council-amusements-back-to-warrenpoint-square?source_location=petition_nav

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:44 pm 

Would like to see the Warrenpoint Chamber of Commerce take more of an active roll in this issue too
This is a very important issue in people coming here to shop from other area's plus can they not see like me on a walk around the town the large amount of shops/biz for sale or let in the town, some of which for 2 years etc

Parking is a massive issue with shopping now it's the way it is now in any town or city etc love it or hate it ... so why can't the Warrenpoint Chamber of Commerce not take this on as a concern for not only the people from Warrenpoint and area shopping here but the small biz finding it hard to keep their heads above the water in our town ..

I'm for the Funfair in the Square too ,yes it cuts down parking but for certain times of the year ,but it gives our town life and a soul and takes people from further afield here , In a funny way I see it as the cars taking away the funfair ....If a sign was put up outlining times and dates for Bells coming here etc and for Bells to meet local Biz to work on things it's better all around for everyone in promoting Warrenpoint ..Bells goes to places all over Ireland so is it not a pat on the back for our town it comes here at all....

Warrenpoint Chamber of Commerce should be selling our town in a better light with leaflets that show the parking we have etc their website facebook too ....as there is more parking that the Square
Warrenpoint Chamber of Commerce should have a public meeting plus meet all shops /biz in the town to help with this issue , support our town and shops and help with parking for them and the public ......
Yes many will say they do not deal with parking etc but they do deal with the commerce of the town and parking is a factor so meet with the public and Bells and shops owners .......then meet with the right people involved ....do something ....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am 

It's a sad time for all of the town's people that grew up with not hearing the wonderful noise of holiday makers and locals alike enjoying themselves.When I lived in Summer Hill I could hear the buzz of activity coming from "The Square"it was great to listen to the heart of the town beating.When I come over from England for a visit, the magic just isn't there anymore, just a big depressing car park.Bring the amusements back to "The Square" where they belong,it's our heritage.