CAPT. THEODORE BELL, M.D., CHURCH ST. WARRENPOINT.

dukestreet

CAPT. THEODORE BELL, M.D., CHURCH ST. WARRENPOINT.

#1 Post by dukestreet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:54 pm

CAPTAIN THEODORE BELL, M.D.,
WARRENPOINT.

We regret to record to-day the death of Captain Theodore bell, M.D., Medical Officer of Warrenpoint Dispensary District, who passed away on Tuesday night last at his residence, “Seafort,” Church Street, Warrenpoint.
The deceased gentleman’s health had not been of a satisfactory character for a considerable time past, but he was able to attend to his own customary duties up to the middle of last week. He was in Newry on Wednesday, the 8th inst., but shortly afterwards he caught a chill which developed into double pneumonia, and brought about the failure of the heart’s action. The deceased gentleman, who was in his 58th year, was a native of Dublin, being the eldest son of the late Mr. Alex Bell, of the firm of Bell and Sons, Solicitors, Dublin.
In 1887 he graduated with honours, in the University of Dublin, of which he was an M.D. and B. Ch., besides being a licentiate in midwifery of the Rotunda Lying –In Hospital, Dublin. For nearly five years after the completion of his collegiate career he practised in England. At the beginning of the 1890’s he took up residence in Warrenpoint, and three years afterwards in the middle of 1894- he was appointed Medical Officer of the Warrenpoint Dispensary District, (which embraces the Warrenpoint Urban, the Warrenpoint Rural and the Upper Clonallon district electoral divisions), and that position he held up to the time of his demise.
His skill as a physician was widely recognised and greatly appreciated. During the Great War he served in the R.A.M.C., from which he retired with the rank of Captain.
A member of the Church of Ireland, he was a staunch supporter and a constant worshipper in the Warrenpoint Parish Church, and he was also identified with the Masonic Order.
The deceased gentleman was married to Alicia Rosa, fourth daughter of the late Philip Bevan M.D., Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, and grand-daughter of the late Admiral Sir Robert Hagan. He leaves to mourn, in addition to his widow, who is a sister of Mrs. D. Smart, of Newry, two sons, Philip and Ernest, and three daughters, Theodosia, Eleanor and Sidney. He is also survived by several brothers and sisters. Much sympathy is felt with his widow, and family and other relatives in their bereavement.

NEWRY REPORTER THURSDAY, MARCH 16TH 1922.

Teresa Stokes

Re: CAPT. THEODORE BELL, M.D., CHURCH ST. WARRENPOINT.

#2 Post by Teresa Stokes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Dr Theodore Bell's mother Ellen Amelia Maffett was a sister of my great great grandmother Geraldine Mary Maffett (mother of Lord Northcliffe). I was very interested to see this as I knew nothing much about him. I am trying to trace his descendants but have only found a possible grandson, Ernest Alexander Bell (born 1941) and got no further. Does anybody know any more?

StLouisGuy

#3 Post by StLouisGuy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 am

Hi Teresa:

This should help you with info on the family.
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/ ... ge-sw3.txt

No.303
In Loving Memory of | THEODORA ALICIA BELL | eldest daughter of | ALICIA ROSA &
the late THEODORE BELL, M.D. | of Warrenpoint, Co. Down | died February 3rd 1929
| "Peace Perfect Peace" | In loving memory of | ALICIA ROSA | wife of the late
THEODORE BELL, M.D. | of Warrenpoint, Co. Down | died 15th January 1933 | "With
Christ which is far better" | ELEANOR ALEXANDRA BELL | Born 2nd April 1891 -
Died 13th Feb. 1958 | PHILIP ALEXANDER BELL | Born 29th March 1894 - Died 24th
April 1986 | SIDNEY ELLEN PARR (nee BELL) | Born 27th March 1903 - Died 22nd
January 1996.

I'm not sure if you are in Ireland but here is another site where you will find photos of the tombstones in that section of cemetery.
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/ ... index.html

Hope this helps you find some relatives still in Dublin area.

Pat

No.304
(On the same grave as Headstone No.303)
HENRY ERNEST BELL | Born 30th April 1896 - Died 9th January 1995 | and his wife
MARJORIE PATRICIA | Born 26th March 1907 - Died 15th February 1997 | In life and
death together.

StLouisGuy

#4 Post by StLouisGuy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 am

Teresa:

Came across a few more items which might be useful.

1911 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 002282376/

Info on Maffetts. Ellen and Theodore and family. Also Bell's military experience.
Following page has info on your great great grandmother and family.

http://www.stirnet.com/articles/selectf ... /CH20.html

Quite an interesting family.
Good luck in your research.
Pat

Teresa Stokes

#5 Post by Teresa Stokes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:12 am

Dear Pat, thank you for replying so quickly. All the info you gave me ... graves, census, Hamilton memoir ... I am familiar with already but very kind of you share them anyway - what I am trying to find is Theodore's only granchild. Theodore's son Henry Ernest Bell had a son Ernest Alexander Bell born in Dublin on 7 August 1941 but I can't get any further. He would have been dad's third cousin. The Bells were a huge family but seem to have died right out apart from him. Perhaps he died young too, but if so his name ought to be on the grave of his father and mother, so perhaps he's still around. Irish records on ancestry.com are hopeless, and Ernest Bell is too common a name to pin him down.

StLouisGuy

#6 Post by StLouisGuy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Teresa:

Sorry that didn't help but if I come across anything promising I will let you know.

In the meantime, good luck

Pat

Return to “Obituary's”