oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 pm 

MR. JAMES BURNS,
NEWRY STREET,
WARRENPOINT.

On Sunday last the remains of the late James Burns were interred in Burren Cemetery. The deceased was extremely well liked by all creeds and classes, who admired him for his pleasant disposition and for the honest manner in which he avowed his principles, giving offence to no one. Up to the time of his illness the deceased, despite his years, was actively engaged about his activities about the fields.
The late Mr. Burns, who was a native of Carrickmacstay, was a type of Irishman that unfortunately is becoming rarer as the years go on. Possessed of a cheerful temperament, and having the faculty to be able to think clearly and express himself wittily, he was a most interesting man to meet. Of a firm, lively faith, and loving his country ardently, he took a deep pride in her old traditions and lived up to them.
The funeral on Sunday last was extremely large and demonstrated, with what affectionate regard the deceased was held by his fellow townspeople. To his sorrowing family we respectfully tender our deepest sympathy in their bereavement.
Rev. A. McMullan C.C. officiated in St. Peter’s Church, Warrenpoint and delivered an elegant panegyric. The prayers at the graveside in Barren Cemetery were recited also by Rev, A. McMullan C.C.

The chief mourners were: Messrs Frank, James, Peter, and Patrick Burns (sons); Mrs. Joseph Morgan, Newry; Mrs. Len Philips, Hereford; and Mrs. Philip O’Neill (daughters); Mrs. A. McGuigan and Miss Mary A. Burns (sisters); Messrs Len Phillips, Hereford, Joseph Morgan Newry, Harry Elford, Bury and Philip O’Neill (sons-in-law); Mrs. Frank Burns and Mrs. Peter Burns (daughters-in-law); Kathleen and Jean Elford, Kathleen and Turlough O’Neill, Joseph, Cissie, Patsy, Kevin, Ena, Peter, Harry, Laurie and Jim Morgan, Brenda, Frank, Eamon and Brian Burns, Nora, Frank, Jim and Olive Phillips (grandchildren).

There was a Novena of Masses from:- Mary, Catherine Joe and the Children.
There were mass Offerings from the following: Philip and Alice; Nellie Hereford; Frank, Margaret and the children; Peter, Anne and Brian; Jim Liverpool; Pat, Jack and Josephine Morgan, Newry; Alice and Mary Ann.; Cissie, the two Kathleens and Turlough; Joe and Wife; Mrs. Heykman and family; Mr. and Mrs. James Connolly; Mr. and Mrs. Brady, Newry; Anne and Sally, Liverpool; Joe and Mollie McGuigan, Newry Street; Mrs. O’Neill and family, Crown Hotel; Kathleen McGivern; Mr. and Mrs. Patterson, Newry; William Morgan, Newry; Mrs. Trainor, Dublin; Mr. and Mrs. P. Woods, Newry; Hugh McAnulty and family; Mrs. Ryan and family, Post Office Street; Mrs. Fitzimmons; N.A. Donald.

There were messages of sympathy from the following:- The Elford family, Bury; The Philips family , Hereford; The Trainor Family, Dublin; The McGuffin Family, Warrenpoint; the Leach Family, Warrenpoint; Mrs. Owen Carville and Family, Warrenpoint; The Ward Family, Warrenpoint; The Weir Family, Warrenpoint.

Mr. Hugh McAnulty, undertaker, Warrenpoint and Rostrevor, had charge of the funeral arrangements.

The Newry Telegraph Tues. February 20th 1940

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:58 am 

Another interesting obituary dukestreet, I knew Peter and Frank (jockey) well, never heard of the other brothers..........................a good who`s who of Newry St. at that time ............................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:51 pm 

James was my Great-Grandfather, and I am filled with a great sense of pride after reading this wonderful obituary. It seems as if he was an extremely well-liked figure in the community, and a man of great character. Dukestreet, thank you for taking the time to post the obituary here.

Northbrook, you said that you knew Peter, James's son? Well Peter was my Grandfather who married Anne White; they lived at 6 Irene Terrace and had three sons and a daughter. The youngest of the three boys (Gerard) is my father.

Paul Burns.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm 

Hi Paul, indeed I know your father well and still meet him from time to time, probably will bump into him at the graveyard blessing on Sunday...........now he will be wondering who could Northbrook be .......................................

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 am 

I was so excited to find this obituary, this is my Great Grandfather, my Grandmother was Ellen or Nellie as she was known who went to live in England and settled in Hereford. If anyone can give me more information on the family I would be very grateful as I am doing a family tree. we still see Kathleen O'Hare when we come over to Ireland and hopefully will catch up with her this August.