oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:39 pm 

Please forgive these being a bit pre year 2000. This is my first post.

This is taken just before the second explosion as our Fire Service was just entering the scene. The old gate house can be seen behind the Wessex helicopter and Saracen ambulance.

I had a cheap Russian SLR camera fitted with a cheap East German 100mm lens, The film was good Ilford HP5 400 asa.
This is a colourised scan of a black and white print. I made a couple of green, one red and one straw toned layers in photo shop by moving the colour curves. Each layer was revealed to different extents using shadow masks.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just moved this into the Fire & rescue section

The first engine was already on scene (The Alexander bodied Bedford seen in the picture far right) the Forward control landrover and the F12 escape are the two on the roundabout.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:31 pm 

Powerful photo's for a first post ! I was on bike at the Off Licence corner of Charlotte St when first one went off and watched the engines leave the fire station ! Was that the wessex helicopter that took the hit in the second one ?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:20 pm 

Fantastic photos!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm 

Its discusting to know that this horrible event took place in Warrenpoint, no one has paid the piper. Peace , love and harmony is what most of us strive for - pity we cannot convince everyone.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm 

That was the start of a long and drawn out ordeal for our local firemen, my dad was on the first appliance and witnessed the second bomb go off, they were so lucky that day that none off them were killed with the second explosion....

I hate to say it, but it is a brilliant photo, I have seen a few from the day and never have come across that one... Well done and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am 

Thanks for your kind comments, the first fire engine had just driven across the central reservation if I remember it right, the helicopter is this one which to me at least, seemed to depart the scene just after the second blast. It was claimed at the time that it was already airborne.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:19 pm 

Another fascinating photo.... I look at it in awe, and only for that helicopter taking the force of bomb number 2, my dad would have been also one of the fatalities on that dreadful day, 27th August 1979...

I must show him these photo's and see what he says about them, thanks for sharing ZenithEThen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:32 pm 

What a tradegy indeed and some
dramatic photos.
Did the helicopter make it out.
I hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 pm 

Chilling photographs!

Is that the remains of the hay lorry strewn across the carriageway we see?

How much time seperated both explosions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:21 pm 

As you say Richard chilling photographs and they make me feel for the loved ones of the people who were lost that day and in the many tradgedies that occurred over the years. The photos of the local fire engines arriving at the scene also reminds me that we owe so much to those brave local citizens who risked their lives to help that day and on so many other occasions. The horrors of what they witnessed must have haunted then for many years to come and perhaps still do.

If I recall correctly the second explosion came about 20 - 30 minutes after the first explosion but I'm open to correction. I had been up in Clonallon Park at the time of the first explosion and could hear the gunfire / exploding amunition that followed. I made my way home to where I was living at Queen Street at the time and shortly afterwards I went down the breakwater in an effort to see what was happening. As I turned to walk home again, must have been about 5.00pm as people were listening to the news about Lord Mounbatten on their car radios, the second explosion went up....with a massive cloud that rose rapidly into the sky....the blast took my breath away even from that distance. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have witnessed events down at the scene.

xpaddy - the helicopter did manage to get away safely and it had wounded soldiers onboard, according to accounts I have read of that day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 am 

Here is a pic of the firemen waiting to move into the scene. We do owe all firemen so much for so many years of service.
For a second I thought that was MOH in the middle?

L-R Wessex helicopter, Gate house , Mini, Saracen Ambulance, Overturned Lorry, (on opposite carriageway) Lorry , Soldiers, Lorry. With burning straw on the shore, across the road and into the wood over the fence and wall. The tide carried straw up onto the beach for days afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:25 pm 

Peter Keenan and Bob Tate (RIP) are the two firemen looking towards camera in the 2nd last photo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 pm 

This was tragic too all families.........Warrenpoint never needed this !!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

34 years ago today. Still remembered and talked about - in fact only this afternoon I was talking to a woman who had been travelling behind the convoy on it's way through Warrenpoint, she would have been directly behind the trucks as she was heading to Narrowwater to talk to the Hall family only she spotted a friend in the square and stopped to talk to her. She told me she still gets nightmares about that day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

Marcus was nearly killed in that second bomb too as he was on the drive way and the soldiers spotted him and took aim at him too.
Was my granddad in any of them pics of there that day?

I say another very spooky thing was my son named one of the soldier and told me he was lost and sent him home with the solders. Went in to detail. :shocked: I wont go in to it here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:21 am 

Dragonfly - Glad your family
wasn't injured that awful day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm 

I got this from a show I recorded a long time ago, took a pic for you. Never seen this pic before online.

Attachments:
001mnhb.jpg
001mnhb.jpg [ 964.86 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]