oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure of the exact year myself, Joe probably told me but I forgot :D

clippings from the McGuigan family

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 am 

My goodness where would you start puting names to that lot !

Well....Joe McGuigan , first pic , bottom left....I think I see a couple of Henry's in there...Dessie McCaughey?....

Further back Tony Trainor and ? Sean Boylan (seated right side) ?

Bottom Pic...

Tony Carr....?? David Savage....and one of the McNulty's at the back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am 

Well done Pat :-):-) That's me bottom right in the second pic and our sean ( sitting beside Marty Lee) right in the middle of the first one.

...and the Late Toots O Hare standing along the wall in the first one.

assume that was just before showing a saturday morning film ( usually bride of frankenstein etc...) ... film being stopped at least three time during the show when Emmet McGivern would stand up in front and warn us if we didnt behave he'd stop the film and send us all home !.... and having to go up to the shop window VERY quietly to get crisps etc... GREAT DAYS :-):-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm 

Ok - I'll have a crack at a few names here:

In top picture, front row , second from the right ( looking the picture of innocence personified >:) ) is Paul Grant .... Emmet would normally keep the known trouble makers at the front where he could keep an eye on them >:)

Second row, making faces, is Colly Moore,

Third row, third from the left is eamonn O'Tierney, with Conrad O Hagan beside him and ( as Pat observed) Sean Boylan sitting further to the right in that row

Fourth row, behind Conrad OHagan is marty Lee and our Sean to the right of marty in the picture.

One of the twin OHares leaning against the wall.

and WAY in the very back is Eugene McNulty ( wearing same jumer as in the lower picture)

Second Picture:

front row: Donal Bradley, ??, Paul McNulty, ME :D
second row: Brendy McNulty, David Savage, (MIGHT be Willy O Hare next ;--) ), Possibly Beano McLoughlin next ;--) , Seamy McNulty?, Bobby Orr?,Tommy Ohare ?
Third Row: ??, Eugene McNulty, Brendan Magennis, Gerry Loughran ( or his big brother), ??, Jimmy McElroy, John Carr, Packy OHare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:08 pm 

Bernie Leddy standing beside Emmett Mcgivern.
I have just been talking to Eugene McAnulty at the fireworks display,i must tell him about this picture if I bump into him tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:06 am 

Joanne, if you see Eugene can you say hello for me and my wife ( Virginia)..... Eugene was very hospitable to us when we went up to the city (NY) on occasion to go out with Seamy and Sinead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 am 

Beside Collie Moore is Brian Horridge and John Heatley .Barney Dinsmore behind Tony Trainor and i think Malachy Burns standing beside him.Is that Peter O Hare behind Brian Horridge?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 am 

the gap wrote:
Is that Peter O Hare behind Brian Horridge?

I think that is Peter O'Hare ! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 am 

I think this picture was taken at the St Peter's GAA annual Club party at the club rooms in Mary Street.
I see my pals John Dinsmore and Mickey Hourican at the back,and I think that is my head somewhat obscured by Mal Burns and in particular Mal's luxurious mane...my pal Christy Mackrell is in there somewhere too. After the party a film was shown and on this occassion I think it was "Back to Bataan" and we watched enthralled as the Duke single handedly retook the Phillipine's from the Japanese. If memory serves me correctly there was the usual round of horse play [I have to concede I was at the very least on it's periphery] but Gerry Gallagher was ushered into the midst of the mayhem and calm was soon restored.
People like Billy Howlett,Liam O Hare,Emmett McGivern and Benny Leddy where the most positive influences on my generation and those that preceded it and indeed those that came after,they where quite wonderful men,all with young families of thier own,yet ready to give up so much of their time for all our benefit and enjoyment.
They where performing the purest type of social work, the very embodiment of kindness and generosity of spirit, providing a safe haven,keeping us off the streets and always being the most positive of influence...I rejoice in the memory of these most splendid men.
Around about this time the club rooms used to be the venue for a saturday afternoon matinee,and such was the crowd for the first showing of "Paint Your Wagon" my pals Mickey Hourican,John Dinsmore,Mickey Rooney and I [all veterans of the Foy cinema,and many's a stern reuke from Tommy Gallagher] had to take seats on the balcony,right alongside the projectionist Jackie McManus / John Gillen ?..it did not take long for us to get bored to be honest and we busied ourselves making the shapes of animals with our hands right in front of the projector which to our great amusement [and chagrin of the main body of paying public] where then displayed on the screen..the projectionist admonished us of course but we where on a roll and when he took a break our most technically minded member Mickey Hourican actually placed the projector cap back on and just as Clint Eastwood was about to break into "I talk to the Tree's" the hall was plunged into complete darkness , amid hoots of dersion and much stamping of feet we where unceremoniously ejected out into the late and very brisk autumnal surrounds of Mary Street. We took our punishment [we had very little recourse] and would then make our way to Boylans in Church Street to complete our saturday afternoon ritual and like Victorian urchins press our faces against the window pane to watch the football results coming in...Jim Boylan[snr] would turn the screen around for us so that we saw everything clearly [this was in the days before instant updates and teletext] so the tension was palpable,,if my team Leeds won [which they normally did] the walk home was euphoric.. great memories ...getting back to "Paint your Wagon" whilst not appreciating it as a youngster ,in splendid middle age [and mainly around Yule Tide,mulled wine in hand] I have thoroughally enjoyed it and it's marvellous score,particularly the haunting "They called the wind Maria" and the riotus "No Name City"!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:25 am 

Jones's Hill ....you sure know how to add colour to a black and white photograph ! :thumbs: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 pm 

Short story writer of the Forum.........no doubt...............

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 am 

Only back on line have had severe problems ..... what a super photo 'top one' ... yes that's me beside Monkey's Horridge and Moore, Conrad O'Hagan Dessie McCaughey... ??? O'Tierney....John Hourican and many more.....enjoyed the tale Jones' brought back memories of the pictures on a Saturday...Jackie, Emmett, Billy and John Gillen good times....Would I be right in saying that Madam X was the biggest box office success in the GAA Club selling out for a whole week?????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 am 

thebrewcorner wrote:
Only back on line have had severe problems ..... what a super photo 'top one' ... yes that's me beside Monkey's Horridge and Moore, Conrad O'Hagan Dessie McCaughey... ??? O'Tierney....John Hourican and many more.....enjoyed the tale Jones' brought back memories of the pictures on a Saturday...Jackie, Emmett, Billy and John Gillen good times....Would I be right in saying that Madam X was the biggest box office success in the GAA Club selling out for a whole week?????

thebrewcorner Madam X i remember watching it in the GAA club brilliant film, i watched it not so long ago very sad. :[

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 am 

I have it on DVD converted my Attic into Cinema
Pink Neon Lights "The Foy Cinema" Real Cinema seating Popcorn and Coke machine
Dimming Lights etc etc etc
First Film shown ......Madam X.......nostalgic or what
:photo: "Action"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 am 

thebrewcorner wrote:
I have it on DVD converted my Attic into Cinema
Pink Neon Lights "The Foy Cinema" Real Cinema seating Popcorn and Coke machine
Dimming Lights etc etc etc
First Film shown ......Madam X.......nostalgic or what
:photo: "Action"

Yes but only if wee Gerry is showing us our seats. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:31 pm 

My family have had the honour of being to Heatleys 'Foy Cinema' ...............great stuff. Refreshments and all provided, but no sign of Gerry. Maybe with all his years experience, he's too hard to pay :D