oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Baths - an update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ian Cumming from East Coast adventure posted this today on Facebook, and I am reproducing it here to keep everyone informed as to what is going on at the minute.

OK, so the rumours are flying about the Baths in Warrenpoint. Here is the official take.

Last year NMDC awarded some money to carry out works to the baths. In order to determine where this money was to be spent there was a requirement to carry out a condition survey. On completion of the survey, it was noted that the electric’s at the baths where antiquated and needed replaced.

As they posed a potential Health &Safety hazard the power to the baths was immediately isolated. It was later decided that the money left over after conducting this costly exercise would be directed to completely re-wiring the baths and repairing any plumbing problems.

The work was then put to tender and was awarded to Braham Electrical ltd. The work started on Monday of this week and is likely to take approximately 4 weeks to complete.

East Coast Adventure Centre is currently using the baths as little as possible while this work is taking place, diverting most of our groups to the Carlingford centre or using our accommodation in Rostrevor for changing and bussing groups back and forth. While this has given us an operational headache, we happy that we are now making progress.

We had hoped that the money awarded could have been directed at the overall aesthetic of the baths and the operation of the pool. Unfortunately we are no further on in this respect. However I must point out the Council are behind us and working with us on this.

So the Pool: in short it doesn’t work anymore. The pool functions by a valve at the bottom of the pool opening to let water in as the tide rises. When the pool is full, the valve is closed and the water is retained in the pool, simple.

The problem is that since the pool was built the sealant around the edge of the pool and in a couple of cracks (that appeared over 100 years ago) has degraded and is no longer water tight. The other problem is that the valve seal has also degraded and needs replaced. If we can get this work completed, the pool will hold water. It can then be used for a host of activities like kayaking, canoeing etc. We are working on this.

I will keep you posted on our progress. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

So, we need your ideas (again) we want to take this opportunity to restart our efforts to get our long term goals for the baths into some sort of plan, any ideas or thoughts on how we can do this are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 pm 

Thanks for that Brian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:27 pm 

Brian wrote:
The problem is that since the pool was built the sealant around the edge of the pool and in a couple of cracks (that appeared over 100 years ago) has degraded and is no longer water tight. The other problem is that the valve seal has also degraded and needs replaced. If we can get this work completed, the pool will hold water. It can then be used for a host of activities like kayaking, canoeing etc. We are working on this.

Brian - is it worth contacting Murphy on this? - he posted some details of waterproof epoxy sealant for concrete a couple of years ago, and indicated that it wasn't prohibitively expensive - see http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2104&p=23570&hilit=baths+concrete#p23570

Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm 

Yeah folks, sorry I let that drop, I'll pick up where I left off although I have moved on from the concrete repair business I still retain dealings with former associates.
I will research data on the materials and forward same.
FACT: An underwater epoxy was developed a few years back and is used for the repair of seawalls, docks etc. It is a simple application and can be done whether the tide is in or out, preferably out for easier handling.
first, sections of carbon fiber matting is coated with the epoxy and applied to the surface, this can be done by any wall paper hanger, may I reccomend Green Rooster, as he did a grand job on our front parlour in Charlotte St,

The carbon fiber matting/weave is slightly thicker than ordinary sewing thread but very strong and easily available. It also comes as what's called 'pre preg' mostly for the aero industry ( Whitestar) or Harry Black might find it locally, but I suggest just using dry fiber and adding the epoxy. Once applied and cured it will last forever, It is applied much the same (in sections) as a plaster of Paris, (for the less mechanical minded)
More to come. Murphy.
P.S. if we do this with volunteer labour I would be glad to come over and supervise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 pm 

Supervise, eh ?? :rotfl:
I think there are enough supervisors around the 'Point these days, just get your flippers out Jim and while your'e having a dip, you could fill the hole with the magic patch material. :stirpot:
Will we be seeing you this summer ?? It's been a while.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 pm 

Sadly no trips in the crystal ball, but ya never know, the banks have knocked the crap out of everybody and stole all the money so we gotta forage for what might be left, no point fishing in a pond with no fish, no matter how good a fisherman you may be, so I'm busy locating a new pond, so no trips I should reckon for a while, unless the baths committe hire this "excellent supervisor" Capiche?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

06-04-11 New roof on changing rooms

(photo Ian Cumming)

Electrical refit is going well and a team from East Coast Adventure hope to tackle the outside paintwork to have the old girl looking her best for Easter :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 pm 

Anything suggested so far is just a band-aid solution. The structure is crumbling. It has lasted over one hundred years and its time to rebuild not repair. Surely there are enough financial brains around the Point to work out a budget for a new structure, prepare a master plan, get approvals etc., and search for the money to complete. The fact that the Banks in Ireland have failed means nothing to projects like this. There is always a way if there is a will.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently under way George, this is simply the short-term solution - there is some movement from the council now and we will see what the next few weeks brings (if anything) It's just a matter of finding what funding is available in the private sector as the councils say they don't have the money to spend on it - Hopefully at some point we could see at the very least a fully refurbished front put back up (like it was in the beginning) and a more modern facility behind it.

Now where was that euromillions ticket? :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm 

Hi Brian, Good to see you are on the ball. Let me know the details as they arise. I would like to see something Ultra-Modern but not closing out the view of the Lough. It's an interesting project for all to get involved in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photo: Ian Cumming