oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old plans of the baths
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look what we have found....

The short story for this is that back in the 70's Eddie mackin's dad Ally was working in Newry at the old council engineering offices clearing up damage following a bomb explosion, when he happened to come across this in the back of a bin heading for a skip, and he thought it a good idea to hold on to it. I'm sure Eddie can fill you in on the details but for now we need some advice here:

We would obviously like to get it preserved but don't know how? who could copy it or what do you think we should do with it? To me this document although very old and damaged is a vital part of our towns history and should be kept safe, and I am sure some of our forum members can advise on the best way forward.

Over to you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:26 pm 

fantastic piece of heritage...gr8 find...over to the experts ! :genius:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, I nearly forgot.

The document is on some sort of "tracing paper" and has been used on both sides, so it is semi-transparent and would be difficult to scan by conventional means?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 pm 

Great find Brian and well done to Eddies parents for looking after this priceless document of Warrenpoint so well. Brian due to the history behind the document and what has happened to it in its lifetime it would be a great story for the press at some point to be worked out with people .

A photo with a copy of this document outside the baths or inside would be a part of Warrenpoints history to be saved on its 100th birthday and also for the press
What a story this is I can't stop looking at the photos.

This document needs to be scanned and saved for the people of the town to savour for years to come ,once again well done to Eddies Parents for letting us see this im like a kid in a sweetie shop looking at it. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 pm 

I would have thought the staff at Newry Museum would be able to assist / advise?

Fantastic find !!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:34 pm 

What size is it? Could it be laminated to preserve it?
Well done to the man with the foresight!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Padraigin wrote:
What size is it? Could it be laminated to preserve it?
Well done to the man with the foresight!!

about 6 x A4 if that makes any sense? as for laminating thats a no-no as it would destroy the document.

I would think framed behind some anti UV glass (if that is available?) or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 pm 

Hi Brian

What a great find! I'll try to get some advice from some of our preservation people at work and hopefully get back to you tomorrow evening.

Regards
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:39 pm 

Brian......are these the drawings for the original building, or the reconstruction in the sixties ?...........either way a good find..............

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

northbrook wrote:
Brian......are these the drawings for the original building, or the reconstruction in the sixties ?...........either way a good find..............

No idea, I don't know what they did in the 60's ? when did they remove the ladies and gents "ponds" deck and kiosk's? I ask as all of them are in these drawings

either way it's not important the fact we have the drawings is enough to keep me happy anyway :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 am 

Brian - I shudder to think if they had made that skip.
These drawings are great - sorry don't know of any way to
preserve them.
What a great find by Eddie's father.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 am 

Well done to Ally,

Having the hindsight to hold onto them, little did he realise how important this find would be in years to come :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:58 am 

I'm amazed and delighted with this document, Brian, and look forward to learning from all our online experts the best way to preserve it.
What a marvellous contribution to our present campaign! I totally agree with pointman, a story in the press about how they were found and stored by Eddie's family for so long.

Congratulations to his dad for his judgement way back when!
And thanks from the whole forum, for allowing us to see them.

:-):-) :-):-) :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 am 

Brian wrote:
northbrook wrote:

No idea, I don't know what they did in the 60's ? when did they remove the ladies and gents "ponds" deck and kiosk's? I ask as all of them are in these drawings :D

When I was a teenager the baths were still in their original form ,complete with kiosks balustrading etc. and the
middle deck separating the two ponds, salt water baths etc. all operating, that would have been in the late forties/early fifties...............Mr.Art. Halliday would have been the superintendent then.
Some time after that, (I am not certain of the exact date) the baths underwent a major reconstruction, the sea wall was strengthened and the dividing pier removed, as far as I am aware that`s the last time major work was carried out on the baths .............................................................

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:21 am 

The drawings do look very interesting and makes you wonder what else is out there !!! Great find.

I read with interest the historical information supplied by Northbrook as regards the previous
(and therefore most recent !!) reconstruction of the baths. I was thinking about this before as there seemed to be a missing link between how the baths were at the beginning and how they eneded up as they are now.

I presume there must be information out there as to why it needed the renovation ( wear & tear I suppose) . perhaps some before and after pictures ? Press cuttings of the re-opening ? rationale behind the renovation etc etc.

I agree also that the story behind the drawings once the whys and wherefores surrounding their content are established woud make a good newspaper story to keep interest going down the line and as previously mentioned the human interest angle as to how they were found, stored and re-emerged is almost as good as the content of the drawings themselves !! :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a number of pictures showing the deck, the most recent one I found would be this one:

this picture seems to match the drawings, (flag poles, kiosks, deck and the two "ponds" etc) maybe the drawing relates to this "version" of the baths? without any dates visible on the drawings or that photograph, its going to be hard to date them but I would imagine if they are not plans for the original (or the last) refit maybe there was one in-between? I would also imagine there were a few modifcations made down the years.

there is also documentation on the removal of the kiosk's, and I hope that will be forthcoming soon :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:55 am 

Wow....this is getting very exciting :-):-) :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm 

This is one of the nicest photos of the Baths - barr the divider in the middle -
that I have seen. The tide is in and the Baths are clean and it just looks
lovely. ;;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just as a follow up, Eddie has been burning the midnight oil a bit and has sent me these drawings that are exact copies of the ones seen on the back of the plans.