oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:07 pm 

I see planning permission has just been passed for the new baths.

I think it's awful looking! Not in keeping with the character of the area at all. But sure, what do I know?

CBS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I take it you missed the bit about the kiosks and the original frontage being restored? Anyway planning is one thing, funding is another! Also I for one am glad to see this moving forward (even if it is only a small step) I and many others have been fighting for years to try and get SOMETHING done with the baths (other than demolition) to make it less of an eyesore and to bring it into some form of use. The option remains of course to fully restore the entire building should funding be found (the current plans really are simply a makeover leaving the structure underneath intact)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 am 

I saw that. Been following this thread for years.

Not to put down the work of the Save the Baths group - which I would fully support - I still think a modern take on the site is a blight on the landscape. It's a bit like the Balmoral - look along Seaview, all beautiful period buildings and then you come across this glass monstrosity - YUK YUK YUK! Who approved that? I think the baths will end up looking the same - and as for the 'tents' being proposed for the top deck, how long will they last in a storm easterly?

To my mind, the plans could have been more in keeping with the Edwardian style of the area - look at the job done (by the same architects!) on the Whistledown, which does not look out of place at all.

I'm not surprised that Heritage Lottery aren't interested as this is a modernisation, and not a restoration. To my mind, a classical looking restoration that retains all the modern features internally would be much more of a tourist attraction than this current design - and might attract Heritage Lottery?

If this had been a proposal for a new building, then it would be fine, but this is a 100+ year old building which demands more appreciation for what it is (or used to be).

I suppose it's easy to site here and criticise - I'm certainly not doing that on behalf of the work of the committee, but I certainly am on behalf of the plans that were submitted. If this goes ahead as it stands, to my mind it will look grossly out of place. People visit an area for the character of the buildings and the general ambiance of the area. Think why you visit somewhere as a tourist - why go to Paris for example? Or Stratford, or Brighton or Cobh or Galway - all because of the pretty looking historic town centres or beaches. Not because they are full of modern glass structures. At least, not in my mind anyway.

Still, at least something is being done and planning has been passed. But as others have said, where's the funding?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Again its a bit like that episode of the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy, This has been ongoing for YEARS and the plans were submitted quite some time ago - that was the time to bring up any objections and/or submit opinions when they were published not after the event. I suppose the same will happen with the park now once the work starts (all plans passed and ready to go) and again I repeat my point about the kiosks being reinstated, from the front the baths will look like it did originally and its only once you get along side the differences will be apparent. All of this is a moot point really as again I don't see where the funding is coming from. One other tiny thing, I am on the committee and yet nobody from council bothered to tell us the plans were passed first I heard of it was when it was in the paper!