oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm 

Hi All,
As previously requested under Railways etc.,
Has anyone got any photos from the square direction towards Kellys' Offices, Dock Entrance, 1st & Last Bar, A Chip shop (I was told was next) Newry Street and The Ulster Hotel (Now Jack Ryans)? anything from the 1940's to 1965 would help with a project I am attempting.
Also from the shore or Dock side showing the trackwork at the dock towards the railway station etc..
Whilst I am on the subject could anyone (ex docker) or point person explain to me how the Coal and goods wagons were shunted along both sides of the dock peir around the above times.
Thanking you in anticipation
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 pm 

would anyone have any more photos of warrenpoint maiden of the mournes festival 2009 as the only ones is of the opening parade many thanks. sarahbangorx :--)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:40 am 

sarahbangor wrote:
would anyone have any more photos of warrenpoint maiden of the mournes festival 2009 as the only ones is of the opening parade many thanks. sarahbangorx :--)

Are there any special events during the festival that you want pictures of?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:11 pm 

was just wondering if there was any pictures of the final day at the gig rig????? many thanks sarahbangor :--)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 am 

pjq48trains the only thing i know about the docks was that the wagons were shunted from the railway down the quay using horses. I never saw this being done but know thats how it happened as my Uncle Andy Wilson lost a leg doing that in 1922. He was moving a full wagon from the Quay back to the railway using a horse when his toe caught in the rail points and the fully laden wagon ran over his leg. He was taken in a Black and Tans vehicle[this was in the middle of the troubles] to the Hospital in Newry where the leg was removed from the middle of the thigh down. In all he spent about 6 months in Hospital with a lot of operations and was given 6 months to live but survived over 30 years before a massive heart attack killed him in the middle 1950's, thought to have been a clot from one of his operations. He dropped dead on the Burren Road at Mary McNulty's corner, he had been paid the princely sum of £200 by his employer John Kelly and Son.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:59 am 

I think there was a picture of the Bee or B Hotel on the forum. Still not sure. I think I vaguely remember this wooden structure in a poor state between what was the Cafe Royal and Beach Cottage. Somewhat back, a childhood memory.

The reason I am asking is to find a picture for Mary who would be a grand-daughter of the Smyths. She says her daddy does not remember this. BUT my aunt Molly told me she was in the same class at school as Rita Smith Baxter, the eldest Smyth girl, in Warrenpoint Star of the Sea and her family lived in Warrenpoint at that time. The Bee or B Hotel was their place. It may have been a bar and called a Hotel. I am not certain, would need to check.

Would love to obtain a picture for Mary.

Thanks if anyone can help

Deirdre Larmour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:16 am 

Memory time again. I am trying to remember the name of the other Finnnison boy. I know Mary, Bronagh, Kieran but the name of the second boy eludes me. I should know because they lived opposite my Grandparents pub in Duke street. Linda's shop is there now.

Thanks

Deirdre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am 

Deirdre wrote:
Memory time again. I am trying to remember the name of the other Finnnison boy. I know Mary, Bronagh, Kieran but the name of the second boy eludes me.

That would be Terry, Deirdre.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a couple of threads with the Bee Bar in the background here:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=283

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4771

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 am 

Eugene thanks.

Just talked with Eugene Sloan and he said Terry also.

Terry is younger than Kieran, I think!

D.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:21 am 

Brian,

Thanks, I will print for Mary and give her some of her family's history.

Bless you and for giving us this site too.

Deirdre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am 

Where in Warrenpoint was Savilla Place?

Thanks

Deirdre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am 

Deirdre.......Another photo with the Bee Bar in the background

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:40 pm 

Deirdre wrote:

Terry is younger than Kieran, I think!

D

He is indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 pm 

Deirdre wrote:
Where in Warrenpoint was Savilla Place?

Thanks

Deirdre

Was it not Osborne Terrace ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:46 pm 

Thanks Joanne. More pictures for Mary.

Eugene, I saw Terry Finnison in the hospital and couldn't think of his name. I knew it wasn't Kieran as he is older.

I hadn't seen him in a lifetime. People popping up everywhere after years away from the old homestead!

Deirdre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm 

Deirdre wrote:

Eugene, I saw Terry Finnison in the hospital and couldn't think of his name. I knew it wasn't Kieran as he is older.

I hadn't seen him in a lifetime. People popping up everywhere after years away from the old homestead!

Deirdre

Havent seen him in a lifetime either Deirdre - hope he's well?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 pm 

Donaghaguy wrote:
pjq48trains the only thing i know about the docks was that the wagons were shunted from the railway down the quay using horses. I never saw this being done but know thats how it happened as my Uncle Andy Wilson lost a leg doing that in 1922. He was moving a full wagon from the Quay back to the railway using a horse when his toe caught in the rail points and the fully laden wagon ran over his leg. He was taken in a Black and Tans vehicle[this was in the middle of the troubles] to the Hospital in Newry where the leg was removed from the middle of the thigh down. In all he spent about 6 months in Hospital with a lot of operations and was given 6 months to live but survived over 30 years before a massive heart attack killed him in the middle 1950's, thought to have been a clot from one of his operations. He dropped dead on the Burren Road at Mary McNulty's corner, he had been paid the princely sum of £200 by his employer John Kelly and Son.
Donaghaguy[Wim]

Thanks Donaghaguy, whilst it was good to hear about the wagons on the docks being shunted by horses. I suspected that because the turntables were too small for locos. However, I think I know of your uncle Andy Wilson, *With relatives in Kilkeel??" I must look into that too. Thanks again, your efforts may prompt someone else that maybe able to add to your comments.
Many regards
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:43 pm 

would anyone have a pic of oliver sherry? heres hoping. una,s girl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From an email sent to me.

I wonder if you are able to help me. My grandmother - a Martha Mitchell was born in Tyrone, and lived in Pulis Monaghan (1901 Census shows that), but after her husband died I am assuming went into service in Warrenpoint and lived in the old terraced houses which overlooked the harbour and are called Bayview (I think). I don't think those houses are there any more or may have been redeveloped.

She chose to be buried in Clonallan Church of Ireland church so Warrenpoint must have meant more to her than her life back in Tyrone and Monaghan. There is a lot of her life that has been lost since her death in the late 50s but I am still trying to find out information about her.

Are there any records of the inhabitants of Warrenpoint in the 1940s and 1950s which might record her living there and perhaps what she did??? My best assumption as I say is that she went either into service or perhaps worked in a boarding house.

I would be grateful for any help you could provide or any direction you would advise me to take. I live in Lisburn so Warrenpoint is quite far to travel to although I can do that to follow any leads.

Many thanks

Regards

Patricia