oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are looking for a picture of a specific building or area, or indeed any other info feel free to ask in here.

requests about family members should be made in the The family genealogy and ancestry section here:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpB ... m.php?f=10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 pm 

Brian did you ever manage to get inside the church with your camera? I would also love to see inside the chapel in Warrenpoint as unfortunately I was never inside it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not yet, it's on my "to do" list :lol: should not be too hard to get pictures of the chapel either.

actually, thats a plan, i think maybe a visit to all the churches should be done, i may need to pull a few strings but i dont see much of a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 am 

Another thought, what about some of the characters from Warrenpoint who are still living. Maybe someone like Molly Southwell if she would agree and I would also love to see a photo of my cousin now Joy Sterritt from 1 Lodge View Terrace, I haven't seen her for well over 20 years now. I have written to her but I don't think she has internet to get onto the website.

Another idea would be to get members to send a picture of themselves to you when they were young, you could then add them to the site and all the members could try and guess who is who!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats an idea, although I dare say a few of us would be a bit camera shy :lol: I'd rather be taking pictures than in them 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:06 pm 

But I am sure your mum would have some photos of you which she is very proud of! :lol: :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oh indeed there are, and i look nothing like them these days :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:20 am 

Can any one post a pix of Betty Champion, and her Hobby Horses?
Can anyone got any pix of The Roxboro Hotel in Rostrevor?
I would really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The roxboro? erm...

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpB ... c.php?t=96

2nd picture down 8)

there is another one further down of people pony trekking, but while it is outside the roxboro, you can't see it. but that 1st picture is the Roxboro. I may have another (not sure though) I'll take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hugh, i have posted one of Betty and Christy here:

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpB ... ?p=515#515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:06 pm 

Brian that is a great pix of Betty and Christy, she scrubbed up well. I think Betty died about 8/10 years ago, but I never seen her since the 70's.
Betty and Mrs Mary Cole, of Thomas Street were very close friends, and they kept in touch by telephone.
Betty could swear with the best of them, she could lift paint of a door when she got started. She had a ready arsenal of expletives for any occasion, but underneath her tough exterior she was a good 'crater,' as they say in Warrenpoint.
Again thanks to you and Bernie for getting this pix unto this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:59 am 

Brian I have an account of the air crash over the town in 1944, taken from the local newspaper. The problem is I could not get a clear photo-copy, so I typed it out text verbatim on the word processor, but I can't download it to this site. Have you any idea what I am doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

what word processor are you using?

you should be able to simply highlight the text, then right click the mouse, choose "copy" and then in the thread you want to put it, right click and choose "paste"

or email it to me and i'll do it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:14 pm 

Would anyone have a photo depicting my mothers drapery shop which was in Duke Street during the 1970's....I would be interested in any photo even if the shop is in the distant background !! The shop was situated where Heany's Jewelers is now. It was next door to Finney's and in the early days there was a sweetshop next door (? Mullan's ....I'm not too sure ..getting old you know). Later this shop was replaced by a dry cleaners, the pre-decessor of the current business....I remember the name 'Ringhoffer' for some reason....think it might have referred to the make of equipment the cleaners used. It was owned by a man called McGennity (again my memory might be failing on the latter point !!).
Here's hoping someone can oblige...Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Elaine asked for help in getting some names for a couple of pictures back in February, I have found the pictures and reposted them here, for you to see and maybe add some names.

Some connections have already been made, and she may already have the names but i don't and i am nosey :lol:

The kids are members of the McKeown family on holiday in the point, and the lady in the suit is kathleen morgan, wife of the late Jimmy Morgan.

front row
Jack carville, granny Carville, Maggie Hanna Magee, Nellie Carr, Bridget Hanna, Mary Digney, Rev father Mullan, Gabrielle and Frank Hanna, Elizabeth O'Hare, Maurice Hanna

back row
Jimmy O'Hhare, Joe Smyth, Billy Larmour, Christy McGuigan, nan Merritt(Kelly) Mary Lambe, Gretta Larmour, Mary Hanna (Rostrevor) Mick Hanna, Mary Southwell, Vera Hanna, Francie Smyth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 pm 

I see Frank Hanna and wife at the front, it must be their wedding day. Then I think the bridesmaid is Chissy Larmour (Mrs. Jimmy O'Hare) and Maurice Hanna Groomsman. The priest is Fr. McMullan, and the lady to right of the priest could be Mary Digney(?), who was mentioned in a post earlier on today?
On the back left I think that is Joe Smith, Newry St, Billy Larmour of Mary St. and then Christy. Also in the back row is Mrs. Mary Lambe (nee Hanna), I think that lady with glasses on is Mrs. Maggie Hanna, who lived down beside the police barracks. On over in the back row is Mick Hanna, Molly Southwell and on extreme left is Frank Smith of Newry St. It would be interesting to get other peoples views on that pix, I'm sure Bernie Hanna-Qunin could help.
The venue is The Osborne Hotel, and it is probably in the early 1950's.

The pix of the woman and children I have no idea, but I think it may have been taken outside the old station in Newry St.
Though there is something familiar about that woman.
Someone out there must have some information about the identities of those people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:10 pm 

Firstly, thanks Brian for putting the pictures on the forum website. I can now tell you that the 4 children in the photo are the McKeown kids, my second cousins, they used to spend their school holidays in Warrenpoint staying with their Aunt Annie Hanna. After speaking with one of them, all I know is that the two women in the picture were friends of the McKeown parents, no names I'm afraid.

Also, thanks to Dukestreet for the names on the wedding photo. Am I right in thinking that Maurice Hanna was the brother of Mary Lambe? I am led to believe he liked a pint or two! Can't quite tell who is who on the photo against all the names you've provided, but as its a wedding I am presuming that the Hannas you listed are from the same Hanna family. It would be good to hear anything from Bernie Hanna-Quinn, maybe this person is also related. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have edited the pictures now, with the names. I will attempt to merge them into the correct threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 am 

It is great to see a picture with so many of my relatives in it, even ones that I am too young to remember.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am 

I only put those names on provisionally, as I was unsure of all the names. Believe me I am beavering away in the background to get them all in a shipshape fashion.

Yes Mary Lambe (nee Hanna) and Maurice were sister and brother, and yes the late Maurice liked a tipple or two. He was great crack in a pub, and I have heard he was a bit of a playboy with his 'Matinee Idol' looks. I saw a pix of him years ago with the late Bobby Stanley in a Charleston Dancing competition, I would love to see it now.

I think the lady in the middle of the back row with the black hat and glasses is Mrs. Kate Hanna who lived down beside the Police station, but I have to get that verified with Mrs. Mary Lambe or Bernie Hanna-Quinn.

I have an 1937 obituary of Mick The Jarvey (as in Jaunting Carts) Magill who was married to my Aunt Ginny, which mentions the Hanna family being related to the MaGills. So the plot thickens, but as they say around the 'Point, "you wouldn't know who you are related to, or who you were talking to."

I am having difficulty getting this information onto this site as it is in two parts, but I have been unsuccessful, but I still am trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

email me the two parts hugh, and i will see if i can merge them in photoshop (I can but try 8) ) in fact if you (or anybody else) have anything you can't upload or seem to get sorted, just email it to me and I'll take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 pm 

Linda wrote:
It is great to see a picture with so many of my relatives in it, even ones that I am too young to remember.

Glad you enjoyed the photograph. Do you descend from the Hanna family or are the Hanna family linked to your relations? If so, it would be great if we could swap stories/info. Do you realise we only live a few miles from each other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 am 

Hi Elaine, I am one of the Larmour's and my sister Isabelle actually went to school with you, which is where the school photo came from. It was one of my father's cousins that married Frank Hanna.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:09 pm 

Hi Brian. Maybe i have missed it but i am surprised you have not been up to Clonallon graveyard and turn to the right when through the gate and go along the wall path. About the third grave along is the famous inscription on the headstone, "Think of me as you pass by. As you are now so once was i. As i am now so you must be. Therefore prepare to follow me." I remember that legend of the UTA tours, Micky Brady once telling that a man visiting the graveyard on reading this took a piece of chalk from his pocket and wrote, "To follow you I'd be content if i only but knew which way you went." I would not be too shure how authentic this story would be as Micky was as much an entertainer as a tour guide. It would still make a good photograph if it is legible.
Donaghaguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 pm 

I think Brian and I have both posted that on the site................It`s on the headstone of Isabella Dunnett 1904.........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:08 pm 

northbrook wrote:
I think Brian and I have both posted that on the site................It`s on the headstone of Isabella Dunnett 1904.........

As posted here.....

http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=219

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 pm 

[quote="Brian"]If you are looking for a picture of a specific building or area, or indeed any other info feel free to ask in here.

requests about family members should be made in the The family genealogy and ancestry section here:

Hi Brian
I have been browsing the the forum and have come across the above. Therefore may I ask have you got (or could you get) any photos from the square direction towards, Dock Gates, !st & Last bar, other buildings that were between it and Newry Street, The entrance to Newry Street and the Ulster Hotel (Now Jack Ryans') in the 1950's - 1960's (a bit earlier would do). Also patMC07 tells me that there is a Video of the Station in the 60's in the VIP section. Where is it? All I can find so far is the one at Narrow water castle.
Thanking you
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:26 pm 

pjq48trains wrote:
Brian wrote:
If you are looking for a picture of a specific building or area, or indeed any other info feel free to ask in here.

Hi Brian
I have been browsing the the forum and have come across the above. Therefore may I ask have you got (or could you get) any photos from the square direction towards, Dock Gates, !st & Last bar, other buildings that were between it and Newry Street, The entrance to Newry Street and the Ulster Hotel (Now Jack Ryans') in the 1950's - 1960's (a bit earlier would do). Also patMC07 tells me that there is a Video of the Station in the 60's in the VIP section. Where is it? All I can find so far is the one at Narrow water castle.
Thanking you
pjq48trains

pjq...it was not a video or cine film I was referring to. There are some aerial shots (photographs) of the town taken in the late 50's - mid 60's...they are in the VIP section but they may be of use to you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:28 pm 

Hi
Was wondering if you had any photo's of Eamonn Magee that I could maybe get a hold of

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:20 am 

seaview wrote:
Hi
Was wondering if you had any photo's of Eamonn Magee that I could maybe get a hold of

Seaview..........I might have some from when I worked in the Donmir.I will get you copies.........when I find them,that is :D