oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Email enquiry from Patricia Blackman

Quote:
I am researching my family tree and have come upon a record of my mother and father’s wedding in Clonallan, Co Down on 15th June 1949. At the time my father (Robert Hugh Mitchell), a widower’s address is shown as Annaville, Seafront, Warrenpoint. Do you have any photos of that house back in 1949 or could you advise me how I could access information about it? I would obviously buy such a copy.

I also believe that my grandmother Martha Mitchell (nee Caddoo) was perhaps a lady’s maid or companion at that time and although I have looked at information about early 20th century Warrenpoint I cannot find out information about that on street directories etc. If you could suggest any other records I could look at I would be most grateful. This grandmother (who lived with us when I was a child) was buried in Clonallan churchyard.

Although I have been to the graveyard recently the grave must be unmarked. Would you know of anyone who could give me information re the site of her burial?

As children we also visited my father’s cousin May and Percy Whitten in Great George’s Street.
I would be grateful for any leads you could provide and details of photos you might have over that time period.

Many thanks

Patricia Blackman (nee Mitchell)

anyone help?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm 

While I remember the Whittens in Gt George's St,none of the other names are familiar.I'm not even sure where Annaville is,although the name is very familiar.Let's hope some of our other members are able to come up with some information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:55 pm 

I have just spoken to someone who said that Mrs Hogg was Whitten before she was married........is there any chance that Annaville could actually be Arnosvale? ;--)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:42 am 

Annaville was the first of the three houses that made up The Whistledown Hotel. My mother was a maid there before the war, it was then owned by a Mrs Weir. There have been several owners since. I don't know when Mrs Weir died.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meeting Street wrote:
Annaville was the first of the three houses that made up The Whistledown Hotel. My mother was a maid there before the war, it was then owned by a Mrs Weir. There have been several owners since. I don't know when Mrs Weir died.

That ties in with the follow up email I received this morning that the house overlooked the baths. was it the corner house that was once the home? or one of the others?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:09 pm 

The one next to the park, Brian. Glenys lived in the second and the third was Coolbawn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:09 pm 

I remember May and Percy Whitten very well. They went to our Church - Presbyterian and Percy used to sing in the choir.

They went to live in a bungalow on the Well Road near to the corner of Clonallon Road. They are both gone now, of course. They had a son (Maurice I think his name was) but he also could have passed away as even when his parents were still alive he had a health problem. I am not sure where he lived but it was not Warrenpoint.

Valerie (McGuffin) Coffey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:22 pm 

Whitten, could be related to the Cash and Carry firm in Newry. ;--)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:49 pm 

The Cash & Carry Whitten is the connection to Mrs Hogg - her brother. His wife was a music teacher (a lovely lady) who taught in Ashgrove Secondary School (prior to it becoming Newry High School.)

I'm not sure if there is any relationship to Percy and May.

Valerie (McGuffin) Coffey