oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Occasionally people post some memories and the odd photograph on our Facebook pages that regular forum users would not see.

So, to address this I will add any such posts into this thread to let all our forum users see them :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From Jean McGuigan

Quote:
Reading Deirdre Mallon McClean's post about Little things you will remember...I've been sitting in the car for the past 25 mins listening to Rod Stewart singing old favourites..That Old black Magic...being one of them, and it took me back to when the dances were in the Town Hall every Sunday night, Johnny Butler being everyone's favourite band (Is there anyone else out there old enough to remember him?) and dancing 'til 2 a.m. The Town Hall was packed and Oh how I loved to dance! The dances were then run by Warrenpoint United Football Club - but there was no football club! The favourite time of my life!!!!!! Wish I could live that part over again! (Around the l950's)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From Jarlath McGregor

Quote:
Ive ,spent many a happy day ,in Warrenpoint ,my gran the late kitty gallagher was born there,and my great grandfather was the late William Gallagher married to mary ann/nee mc cardle , he worked at the baths when the first opened ,all those years ago, their photos are in front of me as i type this in ,my mums cousins were denis,patrick and mona ,from claremount gardens ,and as a child i enjoyed long walks with patrick and denis and the odd dog or two up the bridle lonan to the devils stone ,we had great views over to omeath,and up carlingford lough,and watched the steam trains being turned on the turntable close to were the fire station is now,plus other visits to our aunty lily ,mrs duffy ,and if we were lucky a trip on the red star ferry boat across to omeath ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted by Dessie Gildernew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 am 

Thanks for reposting Mummy's memories here Brian.
It was also lovely to read Mrs Gildernew's poem.I had forgotten she moved to Carnmeen Pk.My main memories of her would have been from Duke St and there always seemed to be a cat in her window.I seem to remember stopping quite often to look at one particularly nice kitten with long hair(probably in the 70's).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From Dan Ryan

Quote:
Early memories of Warrenpoint. I'm sure a lot of you will remember McMullans shop in Duke St. Us, country lads used to park our bikes outside it There could be a dozen or more probably blocking the footpath.

Didn't need locks for bikes in those days. We'd usually go to The Foy(now balmoral) Our treat going home was usually Smyths orange mineral and a wagon wheel.If you were liberated you might smoke a parkdrive or woodbine cigarette.

I remember being stopped by the police going home one night. Three of us were riding our bikes 3 abreast. We were fined 5 shillings each.Not sure if that gave us a criminal record or not.
Who said 'Some things don't change'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:39 pm 

Mrs Gildernew I remember very well, after Carmeen pk she lived in Duke street, I sat beside her son Dessie in ST.Joes Newry :--)