oldwarrenpointforum

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I received a request from James Fisher who is trying to locate a diary lent out by his late father a number of years ago - I will reprint it here to see if anyone can help. Please PM me or email if you have any information

Quote:
My Dad, John Fisher, of the Rath Road, had a diary written by an American soldier during the Second World War who was stationed in the region during training before the invasion of France, the diary detailed his full experience both in the local area and later in France right through to the German defeat, it was also illustrated with hand drawn sketches by the writer throughout. On his return to the U.S. after the war the writer sent the diary back to the Warrenpoint area where it was to be passed around among a number of different people who the writer had become friends with during his time here, before being given to my grandparents where it was to stay

In more recent years, maybe 15 or 20 years ago, Dad lent the diary to someone with an interest in the American soldiers in the region during this time, the diary wasn’t returned and unfortunately Dad couldn’t remember who he had lent it to. Dad passed away last year without getting any further in tracking down the document. I would very much like to see the diary returned and If the diary could be tracked down I think it would be an important document for the local area and should possibly be placed in the care of the Newry museum where it could be accessed by anyone with an interest in the period.

I know the details are very vague; unfortunately I can’t be any more specific as it has been over twenty years since I saw the diary myself but this is where I’m hoping you could help. I’m pretty certain it would’ve been lent to someone local, it’s very possible that whoever it was lent to had forgotten they had it and with all your followers you could be a great help to get the word around and maybe track the diary down. I’d also welcome any suggestions you may have about taking the search further, and please don’t worry if you think this is likely to end up a wild goose chase, I know it’s a very long shot! I look forward to hearing from you, many thanks in advance, James Fisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm 

Brian - what a valuable piece of information
to be lying around somewhere.

Hope it will show up and can be put
in a Museum where the Public could
have access to it as well.