oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just home. From where?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm 

Any thoughts as to where we were?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm 

india :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

POISIE wrote:
india :-):-)

Sorry not India :-(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm 

I was thinking Morocco myself ;--)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not allowed to say anything, but it certainly looks a lot warmer then here :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:30 am 

I think we can rule out Tunisia, Libya and Egypt .........................................

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:17 am 

Brian wrote:
I'm not allowed to say anything, but it certainly looks a lot warmer then here :D

Yes, a lot warmer, 25C most days. Very pleasant temperature as during June, July and August the temp can hit 50C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 am 

whitestar wrote:
I was thinking Morocco myself ;--)

Not Morocco.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:22 am 

northbrook wrote:
I think we can rule out Tunisia, Libya and Egypt .........................................

You certainly can rule those out Northbrook! We did get an upgrade for our flight home. We were last to check in and they didn't have two seats together in economy so we got extra legroom and wider seats. It made the eight hour (clue) journey so much more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:28 pm 

United Arab Emrites

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:03 pm 

the gap wrote:
United Arab Emrites

I believe The Gap has it...... ( did a google search myself - and came across a picture of the Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi - UAE )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:37 pm 

whitestar wrote:
the gap wrote:
United Arab Emrites

I believe The Gap has it...... ( did a google search myself - and came across a picture of the Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi - UAE )

I was watching a programme on the box about a month ago and i think this place was the U A E.It was not only the building that caught my attention but the cost of the building and that the fact the money could be put to better use ie starving people and H I V people could be helped .GOD and all names for him can not justify the cost of this place of Worship.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm 

UAE is right for the mosque. Abu Dhabi. Now I need a location for the other photo. There is a clue there with the flag!It is not UAE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am 

Have you all given up on the other photo location?
Here are a few more photos from the same place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm 

Tunisia maybe ~x(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Tunisia maybe ~x(

Not Tunisia.
Another clue
Apparently there was trouble in the country a few days after we were there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:54 am 

Is it Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 am 

the gap wrote:
Is it Jordan

Not Jordan. Most of their wealth is from oil.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Tunisia maybe ~x(

Not Tunisia. Better out of those North African countries at present - especially Libya!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 pm 

DUBAI, ABU DHABI AND OMAN

A visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Oman reveals what a lot of money from oil can buy. The cities of these small Arab states are at the pinnacle of material well-being. The retail malls are ‘shop until you drop’ territory. Everything is state of the art. Yet 40 years ago their people were dependent on camels and dates. The insatiable demand for oil has transformed these places from the primitive to the post- industrial. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are richer and more modern than any UK cities.

A Guinness World Records mentality prevails; they strive for the biggest this and the highest that. We got up to the 124th floor of world’s tallest building, the Burg Khalifa. Dubai Airport will be the most expensive ever built. And what of the 7* hotel? They even compete for the world’s highest flagpole from which flies the Emirates flag. Greenery in the desert is induced by a very high consumption of water mainly from desalination. The new automated transit system is Japanese. The Emirates Airline is the biggest in the Middle East. Loads of oil money has attracted the most talented from all over to make these things happen

The region’s rulers have invested that oil money against the day when oil revenues would run out. Dubai is near this point but Abu Dhabi still has huge reserves. (They are partners in the UAE ; Abu Dhabi recently bailed Dubai out of a financial crisis. ) There has been massive investment in infrastructure.

Migrant workers do the heavy lifting in this economy. The employment provided is a boon to workers from countries such as Pakistan, India and the Philippines ; their remittances keep things going back home. However, the migrants are there on sufferance and companies have flouted laws to ensure workers are paid and that their papers are not withheld. There are stories of them being left without work or pay and unable to get home.

At the time of our visit a wave of righteous anger against authoritarian rulers swept across the Arab world, first Tunisia, then Egypt, and then Libya. They have expectations that are not being met and they want change. In comparison the indigenous population of the Emirates is relatively small and their oil revenues relatively large; their rulers have been able to pay generously for their people’s education, health and welfare. For the time being this may be enough to dampen down protest against their controlling hereditary rulers.

Despite all the modernity, efforts are made to preserve an Islamic identity. The call to prayer is heard five times a day. Hotel bedrooms have a marker showing the direction of Mecca There are many mosques, some of which are truly magnificent architecture. Many women wear the abaya or black overgarment but we noticed some variation of the extent to which the face is covered. The Sultan of Oman has decreed that the face must be uncovered. Traditional male dress is the kandura. The Omani men often have little embroidered skull caps. The Emirates are cosmopolitan societies. When the Moslem shops in the Souk are closed for prayer the Indian businesses continue to trade. The offices in the ubiquitous skyscrapers contain a multinational business community.

Cruising in the Strait of Hormuz reveals more about oil. 15 oil tankers a day pass through the Strait which is only 15 miles wide between Oman and Iran. It is one of the world’s most important strategic choke points. These waters are intensively patrolled and any pirates could expect a very hard time. On a lighter note a pod of dolphins appeared much to the delight of cruise ship passengers. They seemed entirely relaxed about the economic and political importance of their environment.

The Emirates are a high income developing economy. Massive investment seeks to provide for a future when the oil runs out. It is interesting that, despite the UAE being the third largest oil exporter in the world, it is investing heavily in nuclear power plants.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:02 pm 

I enjoyed that little read Victor many thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm 

Sounds fascinating Victor but I will not be cruising to the UAE or any other Middle Eastern country for the foreseeable future. Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 pm 

northbrook wrote:
Sounds fascinating Victor but I will not be cruising to the UAE or any other Middle Eastern country for the foreseeable future.

Och northbrook..........there will never be a better time............planes going every night!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm 

Eugene wrote:
northbrook wrote:
Sounds fascinating Victor but I will not be cruising to the UAE or any other Middle Eastern country for the foreseeable future.

Och northbrook..........there will never be a better time............planes going every night!!

your avatar............is that you en route, :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 pm 

local lass wrote:
............is that you en route,

..........coming back!!!!!...