oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Not what I had planned!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 pm 

Video of the Qantas jet I was on a couple of weeks ago. The engine went on fire shortly after take-off and we had to 'hang around' for over an hour burning off thousands of litres of fuel over the sea after the engine was closed down, before we could return to Sydney. Optimist that I am I said some prayers first in case I died....and videod the fuel being jettisoned in case I lived! Thankfully the good Lord mustn't have been ready for me just yet and I made it home safely. ^-)

(Or was it a case of 'The devil looks after his own?!!) ;)

P.S. Having just previewed this before I finally submitted it, I see it appears only as a picture rather than a video clip.........wondering if I ask the oracle nicely will he be able to do anything about it??? And to think I was feeling soooo pleased with myself that I had managed to post a video.....ah well, someday you'll get it right Rene! :you ejit:

edited by Brian 19:08 15/04/10 - fixed link

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm 

THANK YOU BRIAN!!!! :-C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 pm 

Wow!!! Thats amazing, sooooo glad you made it home in one piece Rene, it would have scared the beegeepers outa' me!!!!

But give a thought to the poor people on the ground as you flew over....hope none of them were smokers!!! :rain: :rain: :smokin: :rain: :rain:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 pm 

Great presence of mind GGG, Wow !!..................... but only what I would expect from a seasoned traveller. :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 pm 

Richiemac wrote:
Wow!!! Thats amazing, sooooo glad you made it home in one piece Rene, it would hace scared the beegeepers outa' me!!!!

But give a thought to the poor people on the ground as you flew over....hope none of them were smokers!!! :rain: :rain: :smokin: :rain: :rain:

Well we were actually over the ocean Richiemac I believe before we started to get rid of the fuel and as a rule surfers/swimmers don't smoke while they're in the water!! The pilot headed east instead of west.......not sure if like me he has no sense of direction or maybe he was just playing safe and decided to head for the Pacific instead of Perth in the hopes that it would evaporate over the sea (either way the greenies were probably having apoplexy!!!).......the little guy interviewed on Sky News said he was out surfing, heard a bang and looked up to see a Qantas jumbo with sparks and flames coming out of it.......my main worry was that the engine had cooled down sufficiently before they started to jettison the fuel.....I'd had enough barbecues at that stage and didn't really want to be an integral part of one! Having said all that, I don't want to sound complacent and I have to say Warrenpoint never looked as beautiful as it did the following night when I arrived home.....as I'm sure my 413 fellow passengers felt when they eventually got to their final destination!! :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 am 

ggg - glad you made it home safe.
I don't know if I could have held a camera,
let alone start video taping.
I have to say you got a good shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:12 am 

http://player.video.news.com.au/news/?L ... jxicDJ4cbU

Probably won't get it right again but the above link should be the clip that was on sky news the following day.

Success at last...I know your instructions were idiot-proof Brian, but I still didn't think it would work for me!!!! Thanks again, promise I won't bother you again (for a while anyway!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm 

ggg - quite a harrowing tale.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:30 pm 

Didn't plan to be on the Sydney/Melbourne train either when the track in front got washed away and the track behind was under water, making the eleven hour journey a nineteen hour one. The gas leak during my second train journey (not ON the train but up in front!) also meant we had to get off and finish by coach.....fire, floods and gas leaks, but no pestilence.......unless you count the jellyfish stings in Queensland :-O which weren't fatal, just very sore!! But apart from all that it was a great trip, the best ever!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 am 

ggg - I'm glad you had a good time,
but I think either one of those
incidents would have done it for
me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 am 

GGG glad you all made it back in one piece,and if we ever take the Old Warrenpoint roadshow on tour.........can you stay at home please!!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am 

tufty wrote:
GGG glad you all made it back in one piece,and if we ever take the Old Warrenpoint roadshow on tour.........can you stay at home please!!!!! ;)

Will do tufty, I promise! :D
The Australian public transport systems want a month's advance notice before I come again apparently so they can close evrything down!! Was countin' my blessings I got home from Moldova a couple of days before the volcano or I probably would have been blamed for that too.....two of our volunteer managers who left on Thursday only got as far as Budapest and are there ever since!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:31 pm 

Wow again !! I think you qualify for the last chapter of Bill Brysons book "Down Under"......................................