oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Macabre
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm 

This photo was taken in 1991 on a trip to Austria. It is the cemetery in Hallstatt, a beautiful little village on Lake Hallstatt. Due to the shortage of land for burials, each grave was "rented" for a period of 10 years, after which the family removed the remains & transferred them to the ossuary which was on view to the public.

If you are squeamish don't scroll down....

Thankfully, since our visit the practice has been discontinued, owing to the increase in the number of cremations in the area. "Rest In Peace" can now truly be said.

Post subject: Re: Macabre
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 pm 

Interesting, if you thought that was dark then the catacombs in Paris would be much darker and scarier . I dont know why I want to know what that orange stuff is on the roof :shocked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:07 pm 

Have seen the catacombs Moygannon. Somehow the knowledge that the poor souls buried at Hallstatt were disinterred, their bones sorted into catagories & labelled affected me much more, thinking of the bereaved families. Ten years to a grieving relative is the blink of an eye. Also this was an ongoing practice, still happening while we were there. Personally, human relics do not bother me, especially ancient ones like the catacombs. I don't find the darkness worrying, it seems fitting somehow. It's not obvious from the picture but each skull has a family inscription. The bones underneath are femurs. I imagine the stains on the ceiling are from the metals in the stone leaching out over the years.

I may be a bit peculiar - I love visiting burial sites, old graveyards etc. Archaeology & palaeontology fascinate me.

The only reason I put the "warning" before the second pic was that I know some people are squeamish about death etc & would prefer not to see human bones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:24 pm 

Like graveyards myself and the macabre though. Glad there isnt more on the bones, that would make me squeamish. I like to see it all on film but I dont know if I want to go into the catacombs, I have a very good imagination that could run wild and freak myself out. I would end up scaring myself :') I think the cremation is the way forward for them, least they have something to hold on to like the ashes. wouldn't like the job of digging the body up and sorting it out for the tomb though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:50 am 

An interesting and thought provoking contribution B&B.

A Ukrainian friend visiting this area last year had been enjoying walks out around the countryside and she remarked to my wife how well the local graveyards were kept and in particular she was taken by the dates on the headstones, especially up at Clonallon Church. My wife tells me that in Russia / Ukraine / Belarus it would have been a regular occurance over the years that an 'old' graveyard, having been in use for perhaps 100 years would then be closed by the local authorities and eventually be bulldozed over...with no respect for the dead or no effort to preserve the memory of those buried there..hence it was rare to find 'old' headstones.

Having said that...closer to home....when they were laying the foundations of the office in which I am based up at Daisy Hill they found some remains and the work was held up while experts came in to examine the site and remove the remains. As far as I know the remains were from former residents of the Newry Workhouse.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:11 pm 

Pat, it's a shame when old burials are lost. I remember when Burren graveyard was extended, even though they gave notice to claim graves or they would be flattened, quite a few people were unaware & many were lost. Some of the families may no longer be in the area or have no living relatives, but I still think the graves should have been marked & preserved. If it had not been for other relatives, I would have lost my great-grandparent's grave - they had reused it for a more recent burial & erected a proper headstone. I had only a vague recollection of visiting with my grandmother & it was simply a mound with a tiny wooden cross, no name. A lot of families in the past simply did not have the means to erect costly memorials, it would have been unthinkable to them to imagine what was to happen in the future, they would have considered it desecration.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:08 pm 

Interesting stories B&B and Pat.
Wow - Hallstatt.....10 years and you're up again......
what kind of skullduggery is at work there!! :getmecoat:
On a serious note.......just thinking about B&Bs comments on graveyard
land reclaimations, would it not be feasible to document as far as was possible
the names & accompanying details of these old stones,and then include them
on one memorial type monument to preserve and assist would be geneologists?
Just a thought!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:48 pm 

Eugene wrote:
Interesting stories B&B and Pat.
Wow - Hallstatt.....10 years and you're up again......what kind of skullduggery is at work there!! :getmecoat: On a serious note.......just thinking about B&Bs comments on graveyard land reclaimations, would it not be feasible to document as far as was possible the names & accompanying details of these old stones,and then include them on one memorial type monument to preserve and assist would be geneologists? Just a thought!

It's a good thought Eugene (thank you for your kind remarks re digging me up ::-(( but you're forgiven! ;) )
There are many projects on genealogy sites which catalogue the inscriptions on old graves then post them for researchers. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be done locally. This site, largely through northbrook's efforts, has done it's bit to help. However, if you're searching online it's the dedicated sites which come up & the best are in the US. There you can get row-by-row lists, if not online then from the city records. It's a pity there were no records kept of the Burren graves, at least then folk would know where their ancestors were buried.
I think I'll just leave instructions to have my ashes sealed in an egg-timer so I can continue to work in the kitchen for eternity! :))