And you think it's cold here.....

Our forum members are a well travelled bunch, this section is for photographs of places around the world taken by forum members on their travels, or by ex-pats living away from home.
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

And you think it's cold here.....

#1 Post by Brian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 am

Jones Hill sent me this photo..

keen observers of Port comings and goings may be interested in this snap..shows regular Warrenpoint caller MV Celtic Spirit navigating the thick ice of Riga Bay.. the Celtic Spirit is registered "ice class" other vessel's without such classifications would require "ice breaker "vessel to create a channel and facilitate entry to Port....actually not unusual for timber from Riga at this time of year to arrive with a thick coating of Latvian snow/ice....

northbrook

Re: And you think it's cold here.....

#2 Post by northbrook » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 am

I`ll look on it differently the next time i see it sailing past in the warmer waters of Carlingford Lough .........................

victor

#3 Post by victor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Your photo reminded me of some I saw recently when I met a passenger recently who was rescued from a cruise ship after it was holed in the Antarctic. Fascinating story how, after the ship was holed and his cabin started filling up with water, the ship went at full speed until it cleared the ice flow as a rescue would have proved very difficult if they had been stuck in the ice.

This report doesn't really do justice to the trauma experienced by the passengers.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A Canadian cruise ship struck submerged ice off Antarctica and began sinking, but all 154 passengers and crew, Americans and Britons among them, took to lifeboats and were plucked to safety by a passing cruise ship.

The Chilean navy said the entire MS Explorer finally slipped beneath the waves Friday evening, about 20 hours after the predawn accident near Antarctica's South Shetland Islands.

No injuries were reported although passengers reportedly endured subfreezing temperatures for several hours as they waited in bobbing lifeboats for a Norwegian liner that took them to a Chilean military base in the region.

northbrook

#4 Post by northbrook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Celtic Venture leaving Warrenpoint today 25 02 2010, probably a sister ship of the MV Celtic Spirit, not just as much ice in Carlingford Lough as the Baltic.

Jones Hill

#5 Post by Jones Hill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Indeed Northbrook part of the same fleet,owned and operated by Cardiff based company Charles M Willie Shipping [all fleet owned /managed vessel details on their website... this company has a long association with Warrenpoint Port mainly through their regular call's with shipments of Latvian/Estonian timber products].. the Venture arrived from Turkey with a cargo of "weather working" steel,the conditions at loading I imagine differed greatly from those at discharging..three fierce cold day's for the lads working at her,don't think any of them where too annoyed when operations fully completed around lunchtime today.

Return to “Around the world”