oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Good view from up here!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm 

Have taken photos of the Opera House from almost every conceivable angle over the years, but never actually looking down at it before!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm 

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very brave GGG ..................................

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm 

northbrook wrote:
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very brave GGG ..................................

very very brave indeed. lovely pics ggg. :-c :camera: .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm 

I was very disappointed when I did the official bridge climb some years ago because you weren't allowed bring a camera, supposedly for safety reasons, but more likely so as you'd purchase the official photos that the organisers took I imagine! So this time I went up to the level of the traffic and climbed up to a look-out on top of one of the pylons. It was quite a hike and my poor arthritic knees complained bitterly, but the view was excellent and it didn't cost me a fortune like the first one either!

This seemed a bit scary from the ground but was well worth the effort........it's an eco-friendly way of getting 'up close and personal' with the rainforest up in Queensland and I have to say it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. You go across the rainforest canopy in a little harness thingy attached to a cable that works on a brake and pulley system, so you yourself control how slowly or how quickly you go. I stopped at one stage and just wanted to stay there.....the trees were amazing, you could reach out and touch them........some were hundreds of years old. The humidity was about 97% (which explains the state of my hair in the photo!) and just getting to where it started we had to ford three pretty fast-flowing creeks which pushed the four wheel drive to its limits but it was SO worthwhile. I was totally overwhelmed.......probably for the first time in my life I was rendered speechless!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:43 pm 

ggg - you look like you are having a
good time.
Love the tan.
I don't know if I could "harness" my
way through there.
Too much foliage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:44 pm 

Looks like you are having a ball Rene.I'm not very fond of heights but I think I would like to do that harness thing.......who knows,maybe someday!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm 

Rene...excellent photographs, well worth the pain I'm sure.

I am a bit concerned however with the 3rd photo...tell Bryan he needs to cut the grass in his back garden, there must be easier ways to get to the washing line! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am 

Wow Rene, you are so brave! It must have felt like stepping off a cliff to begin with, but also so well worth the adventure! Well done you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 pm 

Bravo Rene :clapping: I would love to do that, please bring me with you next time :D ::-((

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 am 

Liz wrote:
Bravo Rene :clapping: I would love to do that, please bring me with you next time :D ::-((

Will do Liz, but it might be quite a while before I get back (or before I'm LET back if my children have any say in the matter, they think I've lost the plot a bit!)

These two are just about as different as you'll get in Australia.....the first is looking up through the top of the bridge and the other one is looking up at the fruit bats (hundreds of them) hanging around the top of the rainforest..... both of them I love for very different reasons!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 am 

Rene, I have to say you are an inspiration.... not only with your fearless quests in regards to travel but more importantly the good that you do for children much-less fortunate than ourselves...... good-on ya !!!! :-):-) :-):-) :-):-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 am 

whitestar wrote:
Rene, I have to say you are an inspiration.... not only with your fearless quests in regards to travel but more importantly the good that you do for children much-less fortunate than ourselves...... good-on ya !!!! :-):-) :-):-) :-):-)

Thanks for that whitestar........as I've probably said before, I'm very fortunate to have many good friends living in various parts of Australia, so I get to lots of non-touristy places as well as the more obvious ones which is great. It's exactly 21 years tomorrow since we emigrated to Perth..can't help wondering sometimes what direction our lives would have taken if we'd stayed there, but I'll never know so there's no point in worrying about it!
I probably would never have gotten involved with the orphanage in Moldova if we'd stayed.......and the girls there are such a big part of my life now, so yes, it's an ill wind as they say! I'm heading out to Moldova four days after I get home (have to check in at w/p to see that the dust is still where I left it first!!) and hopefully I won't be too jet-lagged!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:30 am 

Hi Rene are you in North Queensland? If you where in Hervey Bay you'd see millions of fruit bats.
We live in Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:28 am 

AidanR wrote:
Hi Rene are you in North Queensland? If you where in Hervey Bay you'd see millions of fruit bats.
We live in Brisbane

No AidanR, I'm actually back in Brisbane at the moment...well Redcliffe actually. Was in Mackay for a while and went to Eungella and Finch Hatton Gorge while I was there. Heading down to Sydney next week for a while to check in with my son Bryan...and then on to Melbourne. Just had some photos emailed from home and the snow looks pretty awful. Hopefully it'll be gone by the time I get back!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am 

We live on the other side of Brisbane @ Oxley, Redcliffe is a good spot, nice on the bay this time of the year.
Talk to you later.
Aidan Rice