oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Teambeats
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:48 pm 

The Teambeats showband. I think the pictures were taken around 1964/1965.

Vocals - Peter Fitzsimons
Lead Guitar - Paddy Higgins
Rhythm Guitar - Eddie Chew/Micky Loughran
Bass Guitar - Jim Cassidy
Drums - John Heatley

Eddiw Chew was the origional rhythm guitar player (Pics 1 and 2) but was later replaced by Micky Loughran. The first two pictures were taken in Warrenpoint Municipal Park, the third in the Osbourne and the forth in Carlins.

Last edited by Brian on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
replaced pictures

Post subject: Re: Teambeats
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm 

Very cool photos! b-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:09 am 

I never knew Mickey Loughran played in the Teambeats. This must be just before he formed The Crypt, does anyone remember them? I used to hear them practicing in Cloghogue Hall in the early '70s and always thought they should have made the big time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just read that newspaper clip... and spotted my uncle Gregory getting a mention :mrgreen: I've emailed him a link to this page, hopefully he can give me some more info 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to follow up, Greg sent me an email with some further info

The Team Beats first started to practice in the British Legion Hall in Queen Street (later on used as Jack Hogg’s auction rooms) mainly as they had no electrical equipment of their own, and Greg had the contacts to get use of the hall. They used the electric amp, mike and speakers left over by the Blue Rhythm Dance Band that had been handed down to my uncle Greg at the start. He was the lead vocalist and mentioned that due to the type of gear and the supply in the hall, there were plenty of sparks about. So much so, that Jim Cassidy had taken to wearing rubber gloves and welly boots as he didn’t like electricity. 8)

At the very start, there was Gregory, Paddy, Eddie & Jim. Over time the practice sessions drew a crowd of about 10 or so people and somebody had the bright idea of maybe charging a cover fee, and having a dance in the hall. So, they had a dance organised and about 40 people turned up. Despite the fact there was no drink allowed in the hall.

John Heatley joined later, Gregory thinks he had a drum of some sort, and a washboard. Things moved on after that, Music wise the band were more into playing Beatles songs, and Greg went solo and started playing Trumpet with Jazz musicians in various sessions (in places long since gone) and often played the Hammond organ + sang in Hugh Bennet’s pub.

The original electric equipment that the team beats had was then overtaken by more modern technology, the group updated their equipment and moved on to play gigs outside of the legion hall, and the rest (as they say) is history

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:40 pm 

Hi Paddy, & everyone,
Thanks for posting the great photos Paddy. Brought back some more great memories.
Great to hear from you on the forum.
I smiled at the bit about Jim Cassidy & the electric shocks! I do remember him running home, they lived just up a bit from the Legion Hall further along Queen St. He was heading off to get a pair of his mother's rubber gloves which I guess she used for washing dishes! Multi-purpose models these must have been. An essential accessory for any good bass player.
Cheers to all,
Colin McGuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:16 pm 

Paddy ,

Great pics , id love to get some copies of these??

Ruairi Heatley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:35 pm 

Adie I had forgotten about Crypt, and also that Mickey Loughran played with them,fabulous band. Hadn't they got Rathfriland connections, through a guy called Sean Darby? I think they played warm up band for Skid Row, a few times. I heard them play a number of times, but on one particular occasion, (1968/69 ???) in either the Castle Ballroom, Banbridge or Chambers Park in Portadown, and they were absolutely brilliant. Skid Row applauded them of the stage.
Who was in the original line-up, and where are they now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm 

Forgive my ignorance, Paddy, but whose photo is that in your avatar?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bornandbred wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, Paddy, but whose photo is that in your avatar?

His own... this is Paddy Higgins Juniors account :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm 

Does Paddy Higgins Sen. (ex-Teambeat) remember the games of football in their father's field across from their house, on the Donaghguy Road in the late 1950's.
Present were Kieran, Seamus Beatty, Maurice, Gerry Burns, Sean, Donnie Grahame, Fr. Finnegan, Peter Hughes, Killian McAteer, Paul, Jim Cassidy, Pat Rice, Jim, Micheal (Sprick) O'Hare and a host of others.
I was only a glorified ball boy, it was my only opportunity to get a kick at the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 am 

dukestreet wrote:
Adie I had forgotten about Crypt, and also that Mickey Loughran played with them,fabulous band. Hadn't they got Rathfriland connections, through a guy called Sean Darby? I think they played warm up band for Skid Row, a few times. I heard them play a number of times, but on one particular occasion, (1968/69 ???) in either the Castle Ballroom, Banbridge or Chambers Park in Portadown, and they were absolutely brilliant. Skid Row applauded them of the stage.

Dukestreet,
You're right in all respects, as for the line up, Mickey is the only one I positively remember. As you know , showbands were the thing at the time and the venues for groups were few and far between. I know that I would have put them up there with Thin Lizzy at the time. If they'd gotten the breaks maybe they'd be legends now too. But thats showbiz!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 pm 

Looks like it was taken at a carnival, I can see two tent poles. Wonder where it was?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:46 pm 

Adie's photo dated June 10th was taken (in the marquee) at the Newry Civic Week Beat Contest, won by the Teambeats in 1966.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:49 pm 

Adie wrote:
I never knew Mickey Loughran played in the Teambeats. This must be just before he formed The Crypt, does anyone remember them? I used to hear them practicing in Cloghogue Hall in the early '70s and always thought they should have made the big time!

couldn't agree more Adie I also remember them in cloghogue hall :geetar:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm 

dukestreet wrote:

Mickey is in Taxi
Sean Darby is in Canada :geetar:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:55 pm 

stuart wrote:
dukestreet wrote:

Mickey is in Taxi

Re Skid Row!

I am still in close contact with Ben The Brush Shiels, I work with him quite regularly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

stuart wrote:
dukestreet wrote:

Mickey is in Taxi

Sean would visit us in Charlotte St. with his 'Lassie' collie dog, He went to San Francisco and loved that town. You sure he went to Canada Stu?
Sat in with him and Mickey a few times, Cloghue hall was one remote place to practice back then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 am 

Murphy wrote:
stuart wrote:
dukestreet wrote:

Mickey is in Taxi

Sean would visit us in Charlotte St. with his 'Lassie' collie dog, He went to San Francisco and loved that town. You sure he went to Canada Stu?
Sat in with him and Mickey a few times, Cloghue hall was one remote place to practice back then.

Well, according to Mickey L he went to Canada, mind u that could have changed lol :geetar: :geetar:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 am 

Brian wrote:

Wow Brian where did u find that?? :geetar:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

stuart wrote:
Wow Brian where did u find that?? :geetar:

Had to think about that as it was a while since it was posted, but Paddy Higgins had it (along with most of the pictures in this thread) :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:29 pm 

Whow! Cool dudes......