oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:53 pm 

The prize-winning National Flute Band under the Baton of Matt Doran, who later conducted the INF silver band.
Many current Warrenpoint residents will have ancestors in this photo - names to be posted when I remember where they are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:18 pm 

Names of Warrenpoint National Flute Band:

Front Row: (left to right) F. Smyth; M. Durkan; Wm. Burns; B. Hanna; Paddy Mackrell; H. McGuigan.

Second Row: (left to right) Jimmy Carr; Joe McGuigan; P. McAnulty; C. Caulfield; J. Burns; D. Caulfield.

Third Row: (left to right) H. Smyth; Jack Moore; P. McCaughey; Hugh Carr;
J. Clarke; Jas. Clarke; Matt Doran; H. O’Prey; B. Gallagher; J. Burns; J. Caulfield; H. McCormack.

Back Row: (left to right) J. McAnulty; J. Hanna; J. Caulfield; P. O’Hagan; Bernard Carr; P. Cunningham; P. Durkan; J. Burns.

Post subject: B.Gallagher
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:54 pm 

Could anyone give me any details on B.Gallagher in this photo please .

I can't be sure but I think some one told me years ago, that B. Gallagher was the father of Brian 'Mugsey' Gallagher, for many years the Pantomime Dame. If that is the case he would have grandchildren in the town, Bebe Gallagher, Neil Gallagher and Brian Farrell. Please check it out first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:35 pm 

I just want to add an interesting story relating to the flute band.
I play in (and sometimes conduct St. Peters G.A.A. Band), and about three months ago I bought John Phillip Sousa's famous march The Stars and Stripes Forever for the band. Most people know it as the football song "Here we go, here we go,here we go" which is the trio of the march.
Andy Tohill insisted that I conduct it (because of my American connection), and as I was going through it with the band I suddenly realized there was a direct connection back to the old flute band.
I know that this march was in their repertoire because it was one of the pieces they played when they won the Adamson cup. My grandfather was Jack Moore who played piccolo with them and this march has one of the most famous piccolo solos of all time. My son Peter plays soprano cornet with the band (when he can) and it just so happens that the soprano cornet takes the exact same piccolo solo as in the flute band version. As he was playing it suddenly hit me that here was Jack's great grandson
playing the exact same solo he had played 85 years earlier. On thinking of this further, as Matt Doran conducted the flute band and then went on to form the I.N.F band (which I joined in 1963) and then St. Peter's G.A.A. club took over, there is an almost unbroken line of almost 87 years back to the early part of the 19th. century!
What a testament to Matt Doran who through his pioneering work has inspired so many people to take up and enjoy playing an instrument, and indeed some of whom went on (including myself) to make music their profession!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:15 pm 

As far as i know Barney Gallagher was Brain Gallaghers father. Barneys wife i think her name was maggie died in a house fire in Charlotte St.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:38 pm 

I never heard that before, could you please elaborate some more on that tragedy, dates etc.?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 pm 

the gap wrote:
As far as i know Barney Gallagher was Brain Gallaghers father. Barneys wife i think her name was maggie died in a house fire in Charlotte St.

I have made some enquiries and from what I can find is that this happened in the 1930s, Arthur Gallagher owned this house and was a few doors down from no.37, my granny and granda`s house, if anyone knows where I`m on about, well its the house with three steps into it...the person I was talking to was convinced it was Anthony not Barneys wife, then became unsure but her name was Maggie and that also a child was saved in the fire..strangely enough the room in which the child was, was destroyed except the corner in which it was lying with a crucifix untouched on the wall beside it...I`m trying to find out who saved the baby, the mother was`nt so lucky when they went in to save her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm 

the gap wrote:

I don't know who died in this house fire, but it wasn't Brian's mother. She outlived her husband by a good many years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 pm 

This is a very tragic story that has been unearthed, could any one please authenticate the details.
I have heard of another terrible tragedy in Charlotte Street.
Jimmy and Frank Reay's sister died very young as a result of accidently drinking bleach or something.
That accident may have occurred just after the war.
Any one ever hear of that?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 pm 

`dukestreet`..I was in touch with `newry street` about this...BUT if theres one man who has a crystal clear memory for facts especially of Charlotte Street then I think its got to be the `carlow man`...I`ll be as quick as I can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm 

As far as I can remember,and it is faint,I heard that Barney had been married twice,and this dreadful accident happened to his first wife.
Anthony and his wife and family lived in Post Office St.,beside Morgans and Lucy McCormicks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 pm 

my father once told me about the drinking of bleach Dukestreet, i must ask him again, he can remember it ok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 am 

I am loathe to comment on the subject of the lady losing her life in a fire in Charlotte Street as i can't check my facts and am relying on what someone told me over 20 years ago when we lived at no.43 but I will recount what I heard but can't confirm. I was told that a woman had died in our front room many years ago as a result of throwing a flammable liquid on the open fire and then being caught up in the resultant pyrotechnics. Perhaps that did happen but maybe not in our house but next door as I believe there were Gallaghers connected to no.41.

The truth i would say is out there......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:58 am 

I live in 43 Charlotte St and I have never heard this story before this has really spooked me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:52 am 

There's a co-incidence as regards 43 !!

It spooked me as well and i think that was the intention. I made sure I told the story to any relatives that stayed over !!

Hadn't thought of it for years though until I was reading this thread and then HCTCs post pretty much confirmed that it may have been the same incident as he was talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 am 

This is what i have found out about 41 and 43 Charlotte St.Barney Gallagher lived in 41 and thats were the incident happened.Barney Gallagher was married twice his first who died was called Maggie Wilson from Dromore. His second wife was the sister of Tommy Mc Parland (CENTRAL CAFE] Church St . Brian Farrell from lower dromore rd may be able to help with that or Be BE Gallagher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:07 pm 

Anthony Gallagher was married to a women called Coughlin or Coughrin from up at clontiflecce his son Dennis still lives in the congo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:11 pm 

Thats right `Northbrook` and his second wife was called Sarah?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm 

Further to this..I got onto my uncle again and he said Maggie Gallagher was the SECOND wife of Barneys`, whose son was called Maurice and went to live in England..Josie was the name of his first wife(who died)...Eugene Gallagher lived in 41 and his second wife was called Sarah..Arthur Gallagher owned 43 and it was in this dwelling the fire occured..I hope this is of some help..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 pm 

Just had a chat with Andy Gallagher and he said Barneys first wife died in the house beside the dispensary on the other side of the street and she was a sister of Tommy Mc Parland number 30 he thinks.Eugene Gallagher number 41 and his second wife was Sara Fearon from Rostrevor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:29 pm 

Just digging this up again.....

Was reading all the really interesting stuff from The Gaps cousin and new Forum member from Lurgan but I am not sure whether we ever got to the bottom of this...

Sarah Gallagher was still living at 41 Charlotte Street when we moved to my Grand-Uncles house number 43 in 1978. An Lurgain was talking about renting a house 5 doors up from the corner or thereabouts in Charlotte Street...could that have been 43? It also has a McMahon connection too if i'm not mistaken. Also there's now twice been reference to Gallaghers across the road as well. :D

Just trying to resurrect my memory here..I wasn't that old at the time.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:56 pm 

northbrook wrote:
As far as I can remember,and it is faint,I heard that Barney had been married twice,and this dreadful accident happened to his first wife.
Anthony and his wife and family lived in Post Office St.,beside Morgans and Lucy McCormicks.

The Reays did have a sister who died after drinking cleaning fluid.Her name was Maureen and she was about 3 or 4 when she died.

Sorry.....added that to the wrong quote.That's what's happens when you are talking on the phone and typing at the same time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 pm 

joanne wrote:
That's what's happens when you are talking on the phone and typing at the same time

And men get accused of not being able to multi task :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:01 am 

Congo's right - Barney's (Grandad Gallagher/Bernard Gallagher) second wife was Maggie (my Grandmother, and previously the wife of a Presbyterian minister). I'll get my Pa on here to tell the story as far as he knows it - and he should know it pretty well being Barney's son and all. But the story of the first wife's death in the fire is sadly true.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:25 am 

the gap wrote:
Just had a chat with Andy Gallagher and he said Barneys first wife died in the house beside the dispensary on the other side of the street and she was a sister of Tommy Mc Parland number 30 he thinks.Eugene Gallagher number 41 and his second wife was Sara Fearon from Rostrevor.

I think i have a sara fearon from rostrevor in my family tree....oooh gona have to go diggn now :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:45 am 

Maurice's-son wrote:
Congo's right - Barney's (Grandad Gallagher/Bernard Gallagher) second wife was Maggie (my Grandmother, and previously the wife of a Presbyterian minister). I'll get my Pa on here to tell the story as far as he knows it - and he should know it pretty well being Barney's son and all. But the story of the first wife's death in the fire is sadly true.

Hi Maurice That would be great if you could get the info about this because my uncle Andy Gallagher told me about it and than my mother told me years ago about what happened and as ever i got mixed up with names and who was who.If you have any old Gallagher family photo,s please post them in forum. Thanks Art Gallagher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:26 pm 

Right, here's what I do know from Pa. I don't know where the fire happened, but you've all got that sorted I think - Pa thinks it was Charlotte St, but I'm sure it wasn't a topic raised much over the dinner table.
Barney's first wife (don't know the name yet) died in a blaze where she was lighting the fire but accidentally used petrol instead of paraffin. The poor woman died, but the child in the crib was unhurt (this was Hugh Gallagher). Barney re-married Margaret (Maggie) Wilson, whose husband had died of TB. She brought her kids - Agnes and Lily - into the family, although Lily didn't move to the Point, staying in her mother's hometown of Dromore (Maggie's pre-marital name being Sprat).
So we've got Maggie and Barney living at 30 Charlotte St, with Agnes and Hugh, then Brian (Mugsy), June and Maurice (followed by Raymond who died as a child).
Barney and Maggie (my grandparents) died a fair few years ago (even my Ma never met them) and there was only four or five years between Barney passing then Maggie.

June carried on living in Charlotte St. for a while after with Ritchie, her husband - Brian Farrell's parent's. It was house number 58 by then, and she threw away all the old photos I'm afraid to say - she was a great woman and is greatly missed (as is Mugsy), but she didn't like reminders of the past for some reason. Pa's got a handful of stuff I'll post some time soon - but anyone with pictures of Barney and his brothers together would be a godsend (Pa was close to tears seeing his father in the Flute Band picture).

Hope this clears a few things up - its a long read otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:37 pm 

Many thanks Maurice for that history of your family, a very personal and sensitive history for your father, I remember them all so well, your grandmother was so kind to all us young guys that were friendly with your father..........remember me to him..............tell him the house with the porch, he will remember that.........................................................

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:54 pm 

Thanks for posting that personal history of your grandparents - I remember your father & grandmother Maggie but not your grandfather. Your dad I recall as a real gentleman. I'm glad he saw the flute band photo, it makes posting it worthwhile. My grandfather, Jack Moore, was the piccolo player. We lived two doors down from the Gallaghers, in number 62.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 am 

Thank for posting that info Maurice. I have never heard of Hugh Gallagher before this where did he go to is he still alive.I will ask Dennis Gallagher if he has any photo,s of our grandfathers together or may be the Mc Keown,s in Newry might have some. It looks like i shall be busy when i go home next week :D It will keep me away from the high stools :drunk: