oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember that incident very well, as well as a few others - how we all managed to survive those early years is beyond me :rotfl: I can clearly remember the little 3 channel light control (the little black and silver one with just 2 knobs on it) that I lifted in the town hall one day and literally drop kicked it down the hall after I got a shock from it - Remember the old Zero 3000 & 4000 controllers? I don't think we ever got more than 2 or 3 gigs done before another triac was blown in one due to overloading - I think we could have shares in whatever company made those we went through enough of them :D

another one that springs to mind was a gig for one of the nursery's it was a Christmas one, and a "freebie" unfortunately the amp blew up and we were left with no sound, so I ran up to my cousin Robbie's house and borrowed his hifi - we got a few strange looks, but managed to get by on a wing and a prayer, also one night when we were doing one of the fire brigades discos, the right hand deck failed leaving us one deck, and we finished the show with Joe setting up the records and telling me what they were so every record was introduced.... fine, except Joe had a slight habit of telling me the wrong names, meaning I would be introducing dexys midnight runners, and on would come Blondie :[

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 am 

Boy those were the days. Just imagine me giving you the wrong information about anything. Would I do that ?

I can clearly see the liitle black and silver light controller from Mikey (RIP) that he leant to us for the night, if my memory serves me right it was to add more lights to our roadshow (a test to see how many we could run). To this day I can see hearing you shouting something un repeatable behind me and I turned round fast to see in slow motion you clearly drop kicking the controller across the town hall stage. All i could do was burst out laughing and believe it or not it did not do the controller any harm in fact I think you suceessfully fixed the wiring problem.

The one thing I remember abvout those days was that we all backed each other up and if any body needed help they could always rely on other DJ's to rally round. I remember on a number of occasions doing roadshows for parties or wedding and the only thing I had that belonged to me was the records.

Guys remember the days of doing bouncers for Frank in the town hall while Simon dione DJ and Frank done DJ else where ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, unpaid bouncers at that :rotfl: I suppose "stewards" would be a more accurate description, we more or less kept an eye on the stage and kept the overexcited youngsters from getting too close, it often never ceased to amaze me how some of the young ones seemed to be hell bent on causing harm to themselves either by trying to touch/remove red hot light bulbs from cabinets to seeing how far they could get their heads into the bass bins :shocked: I can remember one young chap (who shall remain nameless) squaring up to Charlie Davis after he was reprimanded for fighting, a real David and Goliath match, that in this case "David" would not have had a look in :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks to Joe for this :D

That is the card we had printed up in John Gavaghans shop in Church street (in St Davids buildings)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm 

I remember it well Bri, its a good job you wee sister didnt go to all the disco's with you!! :dance3:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm 

An old thread well worth a revival. I read this way back and near wet myself at the chip pan incident rather unlike the protagonists who wet themselves in the chip pan incident lol. Very funny and just before my time being a few though not many years younger than the gangsters involved. I was after the town hall events and before Tir na Nog/ Parish Centre. Always enjoyed the osbourne and then Carlingford Bay ( pre-rave) which were of my time. Sundays were very strange in the Osbourne. Inappropriate acts as regards audience and/or why would certain over the hill bands come over here ! Ok Showwaddywaddy were beyond over the hill but the place was still full and they still wore the coloured suits ! 1988 (approx) wasnt their era but they still arrived in the Osbourne of a Sunday Night to an incredulous audience ! Was anybody there .......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And another one from Joe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:49 pm 

I wonder who would you call yourselves today in all this Hi-tech age....

Joe and yourself must have covered all areas in your youthful days Brian.. :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I've mentioned before Ged we went everywhere, and later on with Andy Prescott I went to all sorts of places all over the North and South - one trip with Andy will always stick in my mind and that was a show in Bangor (at some posh do) we left the point a good 2 or 3 hours before we had to (something you did back then to allow for checkpoints or (as in this case) a breakdown of some sort.

The 2 axle 4 wheel trailer we used was home made, welded together in Andy's back yard by himself and with able assistance by yours truly :D Apart from a few splinters and angle grinder spark burns we managed ok. Anyway as we travelled North in the pouring rain we were aware of a strange noise coming from somewhere - stopping at Banbridge we could find nothing wrong and continued.

To cut a long story short, as we approached the Sprucefield roundabout we laughed as "somebody's" wheel passed us on the road.

until that is we realised it was ours :shocked:

We pulled over and Andy went after the wheel (it ended up in the middle of the roundabout mercifully missing everything on the way down) We pulled into the service station at the bottom of the road and Andy said all we could do was phone home from the payphone in the station (no mobile phones back then) and hope that we could get the loan of a spare trailer from Annetts, that his uncle Roy was at home and that his dad also be at home and would borrow Roy's Porsche (as it had a towbar) collect the trailer and bring it to us.

for some reason this all happened and in just over an hour we had a spare trailer (with soft tyres that we had to blow up and hope did not have slow punctures) and we were on our way - we arrived without further incident but vowed to get a new trailer :headphones2:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 pm 

Brian - enjoy reading those tales.
What a place to break down.
Would it have been as busy then as
it is now.
This might be going off topic a little,
but I remember when Don and I were going
together, and his pride and joy was a black car
(he's not here at the moment to ask the make),
As long as there was gas in the car we were off.
We were driving along the Omeath Rd when he got
a flat. He said we will have to walk back into
Newry (high heel shoes and all), with him carrying the
tire. Nowhere open to fix it.
Ended up hitching a ride home with some good samaratin and
Don left to do whatever he had to do the next day.
Oh the good old days - I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm 

I suppose you could never plan that far ahead, it's funny now hearing that, but I'm sure it wasn't funny that night...

It happened my supervisor last year leaving a spare trailer back to Portadown, we left the vehicle maintenance depot and went to Portadown, I was about 5 mins behind him in another vehicle, when we got there, our boss noticed that the trailer only had 3 wheels on it, I had stopped for diesel and was straight on the road behind him, no sign of any wheel, or indeed the complete hub had come off, bearings had sheared and made it collapse..... Thank God nobody was hurt, mind you we hunted the road on the way home and there was no sign of it, so it must have been lifted by another oppurtunist motorist... You's were lucky you got your wheel back...

Sorry for venturing off topic Brian... but God only knows who else it has happened to.. maybe we could start the most embarasing moment thread or something like that??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am 

Ged - I was thinking along the same lines,
there must be lots of horror stories like
that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Horror stories and nice ones as well :D

One night coming back from a Radio 1 gig we were driving through Armagh at about 5am when we hit the thickest fog I have ever seen in my life - it was that bad we had to switch on the hazard lights and use the orange glow to see the road markings - we were actually forced to stop for an hour as we simply could not see a thing, and that was a rather scary time as we both knew that if we could see nothing, nobody could see us either... (thoughts of HGV's hitting us crossed our minds)

We saw all types of weather out there, including heavy snow - on a trip back from Belfast at 2am in the snow (Andy had a big Toyota 4x4 that we used a lot) we came across a Ford Granada stuck at the side of the road on the A1 outside Dromore (I think) and it was none other than local DJ Kevin McAllister who had fallen foul of the snow. We did the good Samaritan thing and towed him out - he insisted we follow him home and he then proceeded to wake up the wife to tell her who had rescued him :rotfl: I'm sure she was pleased :shocked:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 pm 

Andrew and i went to kilkeel one night to get some alterations done to aforementioned trailer. on the way home we got a puncture , so we said f**k it we're at glenloughan so we'll drive on. If you look carefully there is a groove still inthe road from ballyedmond to rostrevor where we raised sparks and flames the whole way home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carlingford back in the 1990's

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:07 pm 

Francis McClorey spends a lot of time staring at the sky these days.

Sean,the younger Carey I speak to many a morning on the Belfast Rooney Bus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:10 pm 

All of these boys and girls were great But what about Ollie Havern who delivered the papers on his bike with the transister radio hanging from the handlebars and blaring out the tunes. Was he not the first mobile disco in Warrenpoint?? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks to Joe McGuigan, here is a better version of the card above, plus one of Donald Moore's and a ticket to a disco in the parish centre

Post subject: Re: Award winning DJ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm 

Brian wrote:

:D

Brilliant!! I'll show Andrew this tonight. He'll have a good laugh at the 80's hair do :genius:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And a few years later.....

This is what I like about forums such as this, some years after the initial post people find it and remind me of some things.

I can recall the day we were told we could use the old market as a venue, we decided that it would be a good idea to go around on a wet day to see if there were any leaks and boy was there :shocked: In fact, we had been told to use the room upstairs but it was that damp we ended up putting the gear on the (metal!) stairs and the speakers on the ground floor - where the dancers would eventually be. A few power cables where sourced (where from I can only guess) and a plastic spar bag was supplied to cover the sockets "just in case"

First few tunes and all was ok until it rained. We ended up under an umbrella and watched as the crowd (who obviously did not care) randomly dance anyway and jump in the puddles that formed splashing dangerously near the lights and giving us heart failure :rotfl:

On dry days the dust would fall down and cover everything and everyone and on reflection it was a good job we did not use upstairs as I was told later that the roof up there was actually asbestos.

to be continued....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 pm 

btq1 wrote:
found just a few pics of panto disco

just loved the bones of tucker we did have some mad times mary and my self

tucker and the brush :rotfl: