oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:43 pm 

This is shortly before it was demolished.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:48 pm 

This is another view of the interior of the greenore terminus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:04 pm 

The next two i have posted before,but these are better quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 pm 

Euston st. Greenore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:29 pm 

The street hasn`t changed much, apart from the removal of the chimney ......................

I love the pic. of the loco ..........................................

The Locomotives of the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway were all 0-6-0ST (saddle tanks), with inside cylinders, to the designs of LNWR Chief Mechanical Engineer, John Ramsbottom, the first three locomotives being built by the LNWR Crewe Works, England, in 1873, and, later, to work the extension of the line to Newry, two similar locos were built, again at Crewe, in 1876. The sixth and final locomotive was added in 1898. The locomotives were consecutively numbered, in order of building, from 1 to 6 and also carried names (see table). Locomotive No.5 Carlingford was withdrawn in 1928 and scrapped.

During World War II three of the remaining 5 locomotives were loaned to the L.M.S. Northern Counties Committee for shunting duties around York Road, Belfast but were returned due to not being satisfactory to NCC's needs. The line closed on 31st December 1951, and although the stock list showed 5 steam locomotive only one was serviceable, No. 2 Greenore. Also on the final stock list was a petrol railcar. No. 1 'Macrory' lay in store at Adelaide, Belfast for possible preservation but was scrapped. The remaining 4 locomotives 2 'Greenore', 3 'Dundalk', 4 'Newry' & 6 'Holyhead' were scrapped by Hammond Land Foundry in Sutton, Co. Dublin.

[edit] Locomotives
Number Name Date built Notes
No.1 Macrory 1873
No.2 Greenore 1873
No.3 Dundalk 1873
No.4 Newry 1876
No.5 Carlingford 1876 Withdrawn 1928
No.6 Holyhead 1898

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:33 pm 

I wonder where the great northern brewery was?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 pm 

As far as I can remember it was beside the Railway Station in Dundalk, later to become McArdles ?
Guinness are there today ................................................open to correction here .........................

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 pm 

Looks very grand greenrooster :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 pm 

charlotte st wrote:
My mother grew up in Greenore, no. 3 Euston Street was her home. She told some wonderful stories about her childhood and walking to the train station to get the train to school in Dundalk. One of my favourite stories was of her, my uncle and friends watching the visitors in their evening dress going into the hotel for various functions. The boys would shout to the ladies to sneak them into the hotel under their crinoline skirts. I never heard of anyone actually allowing the boys to hide there, but a story worth relating.

Her father, James Murphy, had worked for the railway for a number of years. After her mother died, my mother had to leave school to take care of the younger children so that he could continue to work to provide for his family. She was only thirteen years old when her mother died during childbirth, the baby also died. That was in Dublin and in Dundalk, my Grandfather's mother died the same day. The baby was buried on his mother's chest and my Grandfather had three burials on the same day, his young wife (33) and child and also his mother.

Just as an add-on to this thread, I recently borrowed the following newspaper clipping from my Auntie Kitty. It clearly verifies the above story. (I imagine the baby was not mentioned because he was still-born.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:45 pm 

That is a very sad story, what more can you say ......................................................

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 pm 

It is sad nb, but it is also nice to have it verified by the newspaper clipping. My mum was just 13 when this happened. The paper have her down as 'Josie' and her sister as 'Eva', but they were Jane (Jenny) and Philomena (Ena).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:14 pm 

Charlotte St - a very sad story indeed.
I couldn't imagine at 13 having to face
that situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm 

Precis of an article by Mrs S.M.G. Buchanan based on a tape recording by Mr S. J. Carroll , published in Ulster Folklife
Vol 7 1961.
Greenore, the birthplace of the speaker was a packet station connected with Holyhead in Wales and owned by the London North Western Railway Company. During May each year, "harvest men" or migrant labourers passed through Greenore on route to England to work at harvest time. Sometimes they arrived in special trains, from Enniskillen, Collooney, Swinford, Kiltymagh, Tober and Tobercurry. Numbers varied between a few to several and occasionally hundreds. Most were recruited by a local retired harvest man, known to the English farmers, who made their requests for workers. Their mode of dress was strange, consisting of heavy corded trousers, cardigan type woollen coats over flannel waistcoats. They carried their belongings in red and blue checked cotton cloth, wrapped up like a plum pudding and secured to a stick for carrying over their shoulders. Whilst waiting to board the ships they stocked up on refreshments, penny baps and stout from the Co-Operative store, the only shop in the village. Some had firm ideas about the best destination to head for but there was much discussion among them and some would be swayed by the various proposals. They slept in sheds and lofts at the farms in England, in very primitive conditions. Upon their return to Greenore, usually in November, the station master had to order special tickets to such places as Kiltynagh or Tobercurry. The passenger service at Greenore ceased in 1926.
I remember as small boy, about 1950, walking along the disused line which ran past Narrow Water, behind Nun's Island.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:07 am 

Hi there my name is Shelagh McKeown my dad Michael and granddad Michael lived on the shore in Omeath he was the ferryman to warrenpoint. I have hundreds of photos in my garage of the family and other people I do not know if any one is interested.

regards Shelagh

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Shelagh, I'd think we would be interested :D Do you have the equipment to scan and upload them? or would you rather one of us (either myself or another forum member) collected them from you (if you are local to us) to scan and then return? you can send an email to oldwarrenpoint@btinternet.com and we can arrange something

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:51 am 

Hi Brian I live in Barrow in furness and don't have the equipment to scan I am a novice on the laptop as it is a new one. My only relative out there is Brian McKeown up on Chapel Hill. It was quite a sad story as when my dads mother died him and grandad came over to Barrow and never ever went back so the cottage is still standing just about! I havnt been out for a few years but am hoping to come over later this year. The Ohares were cousins who also lived on the shore and aunty Margaret married Paddy McParland from Newry and Aunty Sue married Jim McGuinness I have photos galore! I cant bear to part with any of them Dad passed away suddenly aged 51 but granddad lived with us he died aged 86 in 1966 dad in 1971 very tragic I am obsessed with the history. my gran died aged 51 at the cottage she was from Dublin and worked for a Cotter who evidently sent lots of things down to the family I suppose with it being wartime Its such a long story too long to e mail but I do hope it could be helpful to you or if I could ring you it would be better.

Kid regards

Shelagh McKeown

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:28 pm 

Attachment:
FB_IMG_1431349741061.jpg
FB_IMG_1431349741061.jpg [ 39.09 KiB | Viewed 2793 times ]
Another view of the greenore railway hotel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 pm 

Attachment:
Omeath train stop.jpg
Omeath train stop.jpg [ 25.55 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for those

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:50 pm 

There's a few more of omeath should I keep them on this thread or open a new topic? ?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Might as well just keep them all in here :D

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:45 am 

Greenrooster.- lovely photo of the Hotel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll just add these in from Joe & Maurice O'Shaughnessy