oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm 

You could go faaaaaaster with 'go fast' stripes, :biker: didn't you know that Cooter :-c :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:26 pm 

Liz wrote:
You could go faaaaaaster with 'go fast' stripes, :biker: didn't you know that Cooter :-c :rotfl:

I am off shopping for go faster stripes tomorrow vroom vroom :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm 

Cooter48 wrote:

I am off shopping for go faster stripes tomorrow vroom vroom :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

I'm sure you go quite fast enough, go easy :you ejit: :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:35 pm 

Liz wrote:
Cooter48 wrote:

I'm sure you go quite fast enough, go easy :you ejit: :D

awww Liz i am touched I will go easy :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:43 pm 

Cooter48 wrote:

:rotfl: That's me with my sensible middle aged head on! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 pm 

Liz wrote:
Cooter48 wrote:

:rotfl: That's me with my sensible middle aged head on! :rotfl:

3 words jump out at you in that sentance ....sensible ..middle aged :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:35 pm 

In the old mini's.. the door handle (inside) have a cord that you pulled? I have a vague memory of being in a mini my uncle had and seem to remember having to pull this cord thing to open the door. Or am i just going :nuts:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 pm 

No you're right Derv :-):-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooohh.... a Porsche 924 :D I always liked those, never owned one, but had a spin in one :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:02 am 

Brian wrote:
oooohh.... a Porsche 924 :D I always liked those, never owned one, but had a spin in one :D

I'm just surprised this one doesn't have go-faster racing stripes and rally headlights :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:52 am 

Brian wrote:

Stan was the second Warrenpoint owner of this car, Brian. Can you remember who the first was???? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:47 am 

Liz wrote:
Brian wrote:

Stan was the second Warrenpoint owner of this car, Brian. Can you remember who the first was???? ;)

Looks like one of Maurice Murphy's cars ;--) .... he had a fine taste in cars from what I remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:04 pm 

whitestar wrote:

Looks like one of Maurice Murphy's cars ;--) .... he had a fine taste in cars from what I remember[/quote]

Well done whitestar, got it in one :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:25 pm 

Whitestar you do have alot memorys retained in that head of yours. Well done :genius:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 pm 

Derv wrote:
Whitestar you do have alot memorys retained in that head of yours. Well done :genius:

...but now I can't find the keys for my car ~x(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 pm 

whitestar wrote:
Derv wrote:

...but now I can't find the keys for my car ~x(

Ditto, whitestar ~x(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think if my memory serves Maurice bought an Isuzu Piazza turbo after the Porsche (or it may have been the other way around)

a bit like that one only a different colour.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:13 pm 

Not sure about that, just know that Stan wishes he had never sold it now :-(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 pm 

Brian wrote:
I think if my memory serves Maurice bought an Isuzu Piazza turbo after the Porsche (or it may have been the other way around)

I think he must have had the Isuzu first because he had at least two 924's, I think he had a silver one after the green...and then a real sleek smaller car after that ( can't remember the make and model though ;--) I was always very impressed by Maurice's choice of cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Isuzu Piazza turbo only appeared between 1986 and 1990, in it later years it had been "breathed on" by Lotus who improved the handling, but it was never a great car, slated widely by the press for twitchy handling, cluttered controls and dated powertrain. out of 1662 cars, in 2006 only about 160 remained with 79 registered "on the road" (info from the owners club) I think Maurice bought his when they first came out, so around 1986?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:28 am 

Hi Gang
I am very surprised all you Point people don't know the history of your own town.
Just to set the record straight, the first dealership in Charlotte Street was "Ward & Rafferty" the Toyota dealers.Two doors up from the Police Station. Some time later there was a split in the camp (after the start of the "troubles", Freddie Ward decided to terminate the partnership and move to Portadown.)
Seamus Rafferty took over the Toyota Dealership and run it on his own very successfully. I joined him in about 1973 and helped to run the business. It was later in about 1976 that Pat Goss and ? Hodgett (of the Newry Reporter) set up the Fiat Dealership Goss & Hodgett across the street in the old Smyths Wholesale Depot. In the meantime Seamus Rafferty also took on the Skoda Dealership to compliment the Toyota Dealership. Both worked very well.
Some years later Seamus decided to close the Dealership and move to USA. Boston area I believe.
Pat Goss also closed the Fiat Dealership and moved back to Newry where he opened the VW/Audi Dealership at Sugar Island in Newry t/a P&R Motors (after himself and his wife Rita).I am not sure of the exact dates. Maybe someone can help here.
Just as a matter of interest. Pat's brother Billy Goss runs the Renault Dealership further down the Mall in Newry.
Seamus Rafferty has since returned to the Point and when I left in 2004, he had a Car Sales Store up on the Burren Road. I understand his eldest son has a Service Station on the Newry Road in Kilkeel.
I have to say, Seamus was without doubt one of the best bosses I have ever worked with. He was a real Warrenpoint character and knew everyone. I am glad to see he is still alive and kicking.
He could tell you a tale or two of the days in the Point in the 70's.
Look forward to your comments.
Keep the old stuff coming !! :cheers:
Tom

Post subject: Our First Cars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm 

My Mazda 323 1.3 petrol. Year uncertain, early 80's. Photo taken around 1987.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks to Richiemac for restarting this thread and there are a few additions to my fleet that need updating :D

I Don't have a photo of either of my next two cars after the Rover SD1's but these will do as they are close enough

1992 Corolla import - back in the day when imports flooded the north as they were cheap, and before they were killed off by (some would say) a conspiracy with the manufacturers and insurance companies - reason being was here you had perfectly good cars, but instead of being UK built or exported from the makers as UK spec cars, these models were all (mostly) being imported direct from Japan through the south and/or England - because of the age of the cars they avoided certain taxes and therefore were cheap, and often higher specced than the UK models, my car for example despite being a little 2.0 diesel had air conditioning and an automatic gearbox, unheard of on such a small car. other than that however they were "poverty spec" with no alloys, vinyl seats, no stereo or electric anything (apart from central locking) It was however, a Toyota and as reliable as anything - it was just too small for me and I sold it on to buy....

This thing (or one very like it) an old Jaguar XJ40 in wine metallic and unlike (from what I can read) it's brothers and sisters this one very rarely broke down - all it's electrics worked, and despite having a dash that looked like it had just been lifted from the enterprise indeed everything worked. fuel economy and the dreaded rust soon but paid to it though and off it went to pastures new.

In 2009 (after a quick visit to the credit union) this appeared.

1999 Jaguar XJ8 (V8) This car now holds the record for the longest stay with me than any other (even outlasting the batmobile by some 4 years) although reluctantly recently sold this car turned out to be by far one of the most reliable cars I owned (after a few changes in the first 6 months including an engine swap for one out of a XJR) it simply just kept going, sailing through MOT's with just the occasional retest normally down to the handbrake (an ongoing issue that I seem to get with all automatics) as good to drive as it looked, it was also converted to run on LPG as well as petrol so basically with classic insurance, and service costs actually cheaper than the corolla this car was very easy to run with an average of 35MPG as long as you ran it on LPG and did not hit the loud pedal too often. (hitting that could result in single figures) Reason for selling was basically it was very low to the ground, and with me being over 6ft and my back reminding me every time I got out of it I was not getting any younger, it was time to go.