oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had already posted a couple of pictures of my old cars (they are all in here somewhere) but since it was mentioned in another thread I thought we could stick any pictures and/or memories we have of our former pride and joy's in here. You can post anything vehicle related that you owned, or indeed your family owned. I will impose a cut off date of 1990 so we can keep it fairly clear of shiny modern stuff (although I am sure some people may view anything after 1960 as modern :D )

So... in order (for once)

This is not an actual picture of the car, (I don't have any)

Granddad's Wolseley 6

Used as a taxi, and general runaround for years until the power steering pump broke, and we could not get another one then along came:

(Again not an actual picture)

1979 Colt Sigma/Galant

Ours was a light metallic bronze colour, with a tan vinyl roof a lovely machine, complete with reclining back seat - only I was too young an innocent in those days to have know what use that would have been :')

1980 Toyota Carina estate
(picture pending)

The above were family cars, my own were these 3

my first ever car :D a 1973 1.3L Vauxhall Viva estate that I learned to drive in, bought in 1980 for the princely sum of £300.

That thing went everywhere that we could think of. It's most frequent trip was a weekly run to the Coach in Banbridge, with (usually) 6 in it - somebody would have squeezed into the space behind the back seat - seat belts? safety first? not in those days :shock: 0-60 time of about 5 miles (seriously) you put your foot down as soon as you hit the carriageway, and by the time you reached the training centre, you would be doing 60 :D
It's engine blew up one day on a trip to Newry with Rory and Conla and it got scrapped a while later.

And then came this:

1979 Rover SD1 V8 (first of a long line of SD1's I owned between 1983 and 1996)

Also used as a taxi from time to time, it was used on the airport runs the time the Dredger was in the point in the early 80's As I mention above, this was the first in a long line of SD1's in the years after it I had many different ones, and would love one now - except all the good ones are now deemed as classics, and hard to get.

and finally:

the last V8 (otherwise known as the "Batmobile")
I should never have sold that car =((

First car in the town to have Limo black tinted windows, yes I started off the tinted window craze - sorry about that :)) Drove the beastie (and if you ever sat in it you would know why it was called the beastie) for 3 years and then one day Mr MOT man told me to take the tints out as they were illegal. Despite having passed it for the last 4 or 5 years running with them installed. Anyway, things went a bit pear shaped in ones life at that time, and it eventually had to go, but I know it went to a good home b-) Cars after that one are too modern to be included :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 am 

The picture below is a cutting from Aug '79. I had completely forgotten that Goss & Hodgett Cars were in Charlotte Street back then! Anyway to link the car in the picture to the topic of cars we owned, my first car :oops: , was a June '88 Seat Malaga which bore more than a passing resemblance to the older Fiat 132 and the later Fiat Regata. By way of mitigation it was very very cheap...........

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 pm 

Well I never knew that Goss & Hodgetts were in Warrenpoint! This is I presume the same Goss that is now in Newry? What happened to Hodgett?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those Fiats - We had one, a 1600 in light Blue. it was not a bad car, but we were glad to see the back of it.

Some of you may remember Roger hall had 2 of them. Both Brown (I think?) a "his and hers" matching pair, only his then wifes car was an automatic, and his a manual. They were both 2.0L petrols, and very fast (and would easily have shown a clean pair of heels to an RS 2000 - if they did not rust first) I can remember getting a spin in both of them and thinking I was royalty :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 pm 

bornandbred wrote:
Well I never knew that Goss & Hodgetts were in Warrenpoint! This is I presume the same Goss that is now in Newry? What happened to Hodgett?

I think it may be P & R Motors ( Goss & Hodgett, Pat Goss, VW and Audi)...but I am not sure. Goss also the Renault dealer, related to Pat Goss of P & R ?

Then there was also Mr Rafferty's (now at upper dromore road) Toyota dealership in Charlotte Street were Paul Braham is now located.

Furthermore there was a car sales showroom in Dock Street at one stage...late 70s or early 80s.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:44 pm 

I can remember Raffertys being beside Mary McCarthys..changing in latter years to `comfort and style` and now a Chinese takeaway...across the road where Brahams place is now was..and I stand to be corrected here `Rafferty & Wards` car showroom in the early-mid 70`s, changing to Goss & Hodgett after that..I can remember my father getting our first Fiat out of there...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:14 pm 

I referred to the two buildings in Charlotte Street mentioned by HCTC in another thread and am also like him not 100% sure of the chronology vis-a-vis Goss & Hodgett and Raffertys in the building that was sited where Brahams is now. For what its worth I thought Goss & Hodgett were there first and Mr. Rafferty moved in afterwards when he took on the Toyota franchise. And remember also that the building was a snooker hall in the mid-eighties for a while afterwards.

Anyway here's a quiz question or two. The Toyota Franchise opened in a bit of a blaze of publicity and as far as I remember ( Which I really should do as I was there!) there was a prize draw with a new car as the prize that evening and also a celebrity guest on hand to do the formalities...

Q1. Who was the Celebrity ?
Q2. What Model of Toyota did the celebrity make their appearance in?
Q3. What Model of Toyoya was given away?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:37 pm 

herecomestheCONGO wrote:
I can remember Raffertys being beside Mary McCarthys..changing in latter years to `comfort and style` and now a Chinese takeaway...across the road where Brahams place is now was..and I stand to be corrected here `Rafferty & Wards` car showroom in the early-mid 70`s, changing to Goss & Hodgett after that..I can remember my father getting our first Fiat out of there...

"Rafferty's Motors" were opposite Mary McCarthy's, there is P & R Motors in Newry, previously called "Goss and Hodgett"...I bought 4 cars there....from Pat Goss himself. I cannot recall Goss and Hodget in Warrenpoint at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:46 pm 

Charlotte's Treat wrote:
I referred to the two buildings in Charlotte Street mentioned by HCTC in another thread and am also like him not 100% sure of the chronology vis-a-vis Goss & Hodgett and Raffertys in the building that was sited where Brahams is now. For what its worth I thought Goss & Hodgett were there first and Mr. Rafferty moved in afterwards when he took on the Toyota franchise. And remember also that the building was a snooker hall in the mid-eighties for a while afterwards.

Anyway here's a quiz question or two. The Toyota Franchise opened in a bit of a blaze of publicity and as far as I remember ( Which I really should do as I was there!) there was a prize draw with a new car as the prize that evening and also a celebrity guest on hand to do the formalities...

Q1. Who was the Celebrity ?
Q2. What Model of Toyota did the celebrity make their appearance in?
Q3. What Model of Toyoya was given away?

I do not know the celebrity but the car was a Toyota Celica?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 am 

I'm not sure if that was an answer to question 2 or 3 but no matter because its not the answer to either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:52 am 

Q1 Gay Byrne
Q2 Toyota Carina
Q3 Toyota Starlet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:38 am 

The street out side the show room was full of toyota,s and so not to miss out on the chance of a laugh Christy and Jean sang a song about it in the panto i think it was in Jack and the Beanstalk. :geetar: Jack Hogg he said he,s loosing trade he,s cutting all his quotas God help us Jack said Mary Mac were buried in toyotas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 am 

Very Good...I was at that Panto and remember that particular quip!!!!

Anyway on to Bandsmans answers.....

Q1 and Q3 are definately correct. I think I remember the colour and registration mark of the Starlet too but I'll leave that for another day !!!

As for question 2 I had a different answer and it may be down to Mr Byrne having been in more than one car. My answer is based on the car he was in when he descended via the car lift from the first floor to the ground........ And I am near certain it wasn't a Celica!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:01 am 

For what it's worth my recollection is that the answer to question two was not a Toyota Celica but a Toyota Crown...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Makes sense, as the Crown was the flagship of the range for the UK, next down was the Cressida, then the Carina, Celica, Corolla and Starlet. Even back then the Crown and Cressida range were very well equipped, with the crown even having a fridge in its boot 8) (not to mention all the other toys such as electric windows air con and big stereos) I think there was at least one owner of a Crown in the point, Possibly one of the McShanes, a big Silver one. I very nearly traded in one of my SD1's for a Crown, I travelled up to Banbridge to see this "mint" example.

Mint as in Polo. There was a huge hole in the boot floor :mrgreen:

But apart from that a very nice car, although its suspension was a bit iffy, and you would have got seasick in it. So, it stayed were it was and I came home in the SD1 and it re-payed me by blowing its radiator when we got home. I swear them things could sulk....... :-O

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:40 pm 

Spot on in terms of the range. hence Gay Byrne got to sit in the Toyota Crown ( fridge and all in the boot- excellent !) and the prize was the Starlet !!

For some seriously geeky trivia it is worth noting the following:

Toyota Corolla roughly translates from the latin for Small Crown although this is normally only used in a botanical sense.

Toyota Camry is an Anglicized pronunciation of the Japanese term "kan-muri" meaning Small Crown.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:08 pm 

Who won the car?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:30 pm 

I honestly don't know who won it to be honest but I am nearly sure it was a sickly green colour. I have a vague feeling that it had a plate starting TIJ as well but that could be my mind playing tricks on me !!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIJ was of course a Co.Down plate, and was issued between Febuary 1984 and August 1984 so if that ties in with your dates your mind may not be playing tricks :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't know how I misssed this ~x( But this band photo onsite has our Colt Sigma in the left foreground...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:19 pm 

Image[IMG]

Here are my bikes
1 Honda 900 Fireblade for Sundays oh what fun
2 Yamaha XT660x For going back and forth to work super bike in traffic handle bars are just at wing mirror height oopps
3 Suzuki my first bike and just can not sell it aww

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:31 pm 

Brian wrote:
Don't know how I misssed this ~x( But this band photo onsite has our Colt Sigma in the left foreground...

But what we all really want to know is the make and model of Heaney's milk van in the background :rotfl:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:33 pm 

Lovely bikes Mel :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:04 pm 

Liz wrote:
Lovely bikes Mel :thumbs:

Thank you Liz >:d<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:22 pm 

Hey Mel, really nice bikes,

Would say you have great fun on the XT :biker:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 pm 

First car i owned was a Woolsey Hornet bought it of a bloke i worked with in Gilbert Ash for £40 can recall coming down church street to turn right onto duke street as i went to drop a gear the dam gear stick came off in my hand, It was more time in Cowans garage than on the road. On another night on my way to Rostrevor (to see a friend :* ) on arriving at her house she came out to get into car as she opened the door the dam door fell off onto the road, i had to think of something quick ;--) so got out put two 4 inch nails into the pin holes and clinched them i can tell you it held for quite sometime, ah the Woolsey Hornet who would be without one. :))

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:37 am 

Since we're talking cars, this is the only photo of the best car we ever had, the good old Mark1 Cortina. We bought it just before we got married in 1972, and used it for our honeymoon to Cornwall,South of England, and Wales. There are three cars in this picture, two of them spelt with a capitol"C"and two "Rs". The bigger one is smirking because it was him who jacked up my rear wheels so that when I was about to drive off from Ballyedmund the poor Cortina hit 4000 revs without budging an inch!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 am 

bandsman wrote:
Hey Mel, really nice bikes,

Would say you have great fun on the XT :biker:

Yeah the XT is alot of fun very good for London traffic and the odd hooligan moment :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 pm 

This was our very first car :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:39 pm 

Liz wrote:
This was our very first car :D

Oh car yes Very fast mmmm I see it has the 1275GT stripes but I dont think it is :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: