oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

all Warrenpoint train station related posts in here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The turntable at Warrenpoint

Narrowwater halt early 1960's

Dublin Bridge station Newry circa 1955

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 am 

These are brilliant Brian, especially the engine on the turntable, this was our playground in the 50's, it's rare to see a photo like this, where did you conjure this one up from?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have had them for some time, they are the same pictures as used in Des Fitzgerald's book about the Warrenpoint Branch Line from 1996 (now out of print) although they were emailed to me quite a number of years back, unfortunately i don't know who by as I lost their contact details ages ago. ~x(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 am 

Those D N & G R tickets refer to Newry Bridge St. that would not be Dublin Bridge, How many stations were there in the place?

When did the greenore line close anyway? (After ww2?)

No need to answer these questions ... they are about Newry so who cares?????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nkrumah wrote:
Those D N & G R tickets refer to Newry Bridge St. that would not be Dublin Bridge, How many stations were there in the place?

When did the greenore line close anyway? (After ww2?)

No need to answer these questions ... they are about Newry so who cares?????

I'll answer that (coz I can :D )

Newry had 3 stations. Edward Street, Bridge Street And Dublin Bridge (the original terminus was in fact in Kilmorey street in 1861 but moved to Dublin bridge). now pay attention as this bit gets complicated and I may get mixed up.....

There were in fact 3 "lines" running in/out of Newry, Starting from Goraghwood the line split into the main GNRI line heading to Dublin and the branch lines (to Newry and Warrenpoint and Greenore). The main line down to Dublin had a halt at Bessbrook - the site of the current station and was in fact known as the Bessbrook halt, and not Newry station as it is now (shows how far the city has grown?) before heading off to Dundalk. Don't forget there was also the Bessbrook Tram line as well (closed 1948) the DNGR line had a halt at Omeath & Carlingford, the Warrenpoint line had a halt at "Greenisland" or the bottom of the Aughnamoria road as we know it today) and at Narrowwater

anyway, Just as an aside the Warrenpoint and Rostrevor Tramway closed in 1915, but back on track (ouch) and the official opening of the Warrenpoint and Rostrevor railway was on 28th May 1849, also it may be of interest to some that the railway was supposed to go all the way out to Rostrevor, branching off around the golf course, crossing 3 of the towns streets by 30ft bridges (and a level crossing at duke street) heading toward Rostrevor a 120ft bridge was to go at Moygannon and it was to end up more or less where the old tram station was at Rostrevor quay. If only......

anyway to answer your question, the Bridge street station was operated by the Dundalk, Newry & Greenore railway company, and it closed in 1951

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm 

Excellent post above on the railway's history!! I never knew that there was a halt at Aughnamoira Road. I had a vague notion that there were plans to extend the railway to Rostrevor but I had no idea as to the extent that planning had taken place as far as bridges and a level crossing. It leaves a very big....What if ? Water under the railway bridge now but very interesting.

I also found the following Newrycentric reminisce from newryjournal.co.uk which maybe suggests that not all newry people had it in for the 'Point !! See below:

http://www.newryjournal.co.uk/content/view/1687/38/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 am 

Does anyone remember the lovely "Men's facility" at Dublin Bridge Station? A wonderful hole in the floor with a footprint on each side for proper alignment. Spartan, yes, and no frills like pipes or such. The river bank was fully visible right below. Made you feel like a bombadier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 pm 

Yes S.L.G. I remember it well, it always gave me the "head staggers" having to go in there, but at the same time, if your aim was good, you could hit the river 30 feet below without touching the sides! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 pm 

If your aim was very good Adie you could hit the rats down below as well.I shiver every time I think of it.Thanks for the memories.
I was in Italy on holiday 2 years ago and we had a meal in a Chinese Restaurant.Their toilets were of the same two footprint design,very hygenic,same for both sexes,but you were"nt looking down into the Clanrye.Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:08 pm 

Quote:
I also found the following Newrycentric reminisce from newryjournal.co.uk which maybe suggests that not all newry people had it in for the 'Point !! See below:

http://www.newryjournal.co.uk/content/view/1687/38/

What a wonderful rememberance of the train journey of yesteryear.
I can almost smell the mixture of soot and leather as we travelled by train to Newry.
This website is conjuring up so many wonderful memories that I had no idea were still lurking in the corners of my old grey matter.

To one and all, for all your contributions, Thank you so very much. >:d<

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:37 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
Does anyone remember the lovely "Men's facility" at Dublin Bridge Station? A wonderful hole in the floor with a footprint on each side for proper alignment. Spartan, yes, and no frills like pipes or such. The river bank was fully visible right below. Made you feel like a bombadier.

To be fair to the GNR(I) (and wasn't there also an old poster board thing that said LMS(I)??) if the facility was intended for use by Bomber Command trainees the footprints would have been facing the other way as they do in squat & drop bogs in Italy France etc.

Ialways liked those , you didn't have to touch anything. Important to have nothing in your trouser pockets though.

Was there a Ladies at Dublin Bridge?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 am 

I have been waiting all week to ask that question (Was there a ladies convenience?) and was hoping somebody else would ask it first !! So now that its been asked....Was there one? And was the plumbing as sophisticated as that in the Gentlemans WC ? ;--)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:06 am 

Do you have a date for that remarkable poster? !92x/193x? because LMS only existed between WW1 & 2. I think I've seen that style of poster on "Antiques Road show"( The US one) can't put a name to it right now.

LMS of course stands for "London Midland & Scottish"

Not to be confused with PMS which is "Portadown, Magherafelt & Somewhereelse"

I may be a bit "off track" here.

To my recollection, some GNR stations had a "Ladies" waiting room (possibly with en suite bog) and a "gentlemans" which was just a bog. As for the plumbing, some one must have posted it on some other Internet site. Apparently people do that sort of thing , these days.

"Somewhereelse" could be Strabane...???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:18 am 

EBay has a listing for this and indicates date to be around 1924.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 am 

StLouisGuy wrote:
EBay has a listing for this and indicates date to be around 1924.

I think the poster is from before 1922 as you can see it says Ireland not Northern Ireland.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Art, can't have been before 1922 as the LMS was not formed until January 1923.

History and info can be found here:

http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r031.html

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Midland_and_Scottish_Railway

As for the poster, that one was printed by McCorquodale & Co ltd for L M S and is part of the "The best way" series No 32.

An original One in good condition in a June 2007 auction in the US made $825 and that particular poster pictured was auctioned in 2002 in the UK and made £360. The ones on ebay are usually all reprints.

the auction on that poster had no date, but they have been printed since 1923 so its anybody's guess. I have a few small pictures of the other posters, I will put them up when I get a minute.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 am 

[quote="nkrumah"]Do you have a date for that remarkable poster? !92x/193x? because LMS only existed between WW1 & 2. I think I've seen that style of poster on "Antiques Road show"( The US one) can't put a name to it right now.

I think the style you might be thinking about is "Art Deco" which was popular at the beginning of the 20th. Century, and this lovely poster certainly fits the bill. I don't know if anybody noticed, but in the small print at the bottom you can obtain a local guide from either L.M.S. Derby, or The Town Clerk Warrenpoint. I wonder if there are any left?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:28 pm 

Brian dug up this old map of the lines going through newry.Thought it might be of some interestImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:06 am 

I’ve just noticed something that made me smile. Go to “Trains, Planes & Automobiles” and the sub heading “Warrenpoint Train Station and Railway” (where you are now). Brian has posted a number of pictures, but about the 13th or 14th down the list is a posting by Adie on Wed Jan 30, 2008. The picture is taken from the top of Narrow Water Keep, of a train approaching Narrow Water Halt. The ferry has arrived at the slipway and two men are starting up the slope. The customs officer with his white cap, has just emerged from his hut.

Now, go back to the main heading (T.P & A.) and skip down to “Going off the tracks”, posted by btq1 on Friday Sept 05, 2005 and you have the same picture….except it’s not. The train has advanced to almost the mid point of the halt platform, so I guess the picture was taken about 20 or 30 seconds later. The two men have spotted the customs officer, turned round and are getting back in the boat. No doubt they suddenly remembered they had left the kettle on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:15 am 

I'm beginning to get worried about you Biggles.Looks like you are well and truly hooked on this forum too :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 am 

I remember warrenpoint railway station well my brother phill delivered papers for easons on a bike with a big basket on the front The train would stop at narrowater i think rocks family lived behind the small station
Billy Hornsby operated the ferry in the fifties I beleave the train ran from edwards st in newry to greenore and back The platform and station house are still in omeath for those of you not old enough to remember it is on the right hand side coming up from the jetty a small granit cottage in front of it you can still see the platform it is grass covered but you can still make
it out from portarlington australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:39 pm 

Yes, there was a loo at the back of the Ladies Waiting Room at Dublin Bridge. You came through the main ticket office onto the platform and the waiting room door was on the left. The 'facilities' were Ok but unfortunately the toilet floor suffered the same anomaly as the gent's (reported somewhere else) you could see the river a long way below. If you remember the wooden end of the platform was pretty much the same - great gaps and long drops that didn't exactly fill you with confidence!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm 

Yes I remember the washroom facilities at Dublin Bridge. There was a nice fire place in
the waiting room area, which you appreciated on very cold days. (Wasn't always lit).
The toilet was scary because it jutted out on to the canal below, which was full of mud or
something. The floor was slotted with wood and you could see the river below. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am 

xpaddy wrote:
Yes I remember the washroom facilities at Dublin Bridge. There was a nice fire place in
the waiting room area, which you appreciated on very cold days. (Wasn't always lit).
The toilet was scary because it jutted out on to the canal below, which was full of mud or
something. The floor was slotted with wood and you could see the river below. :P

I remember coming back from Newry Market just before Christmas about 1957 with my father and my wee brother Paul. Some oul fella with a pipe and a duncher sat down in the waiting room. Yes, there was a fire on. He had a sack with him which kept moving and making noises. Someone asked if he had a turkey in the sack. He said he had two. The questioner said they would never live, they needed air. So the oul fella took out a penknife and cut a couple of slits in the sack. In an instant two turkey heads popped through the holes. The gobbling increased. The train was arriving at that moment and there was a lot of noise, and people standing up. The poor birds took fright and started to struggle. The sack must have been old as the sack ripped and the two turkeys leapt out, and with half the waiting crowd in pursuit they ran about the platform. One headed of towards the end of the platform but was frightened by the steam from the engine and headed back up the platform to be recaptured. Both went back in the sack but the oul fella found twine to wrap round the sack to keep them in all the way to Warrenpoint. Needless to say my brother Paul and I had a hilarious time going back to the Point with the relentless gobble gobble of the two birds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:27 pm 

That is hilarious.
Glad the poor things didn't get
run over by the train.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 pm 

I remember Alec Shields jumping onto the train b4 it stopped,he slipped on the wet wooden platform and was dragged up the platform hanging on for dear life with one hand.He was a lucky man .Dublin Bridge used to be a mad place when the school trains were running.