The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

Everything related to all forms of transportation in the Carlingford lough area.
Message
Author
pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#121 Post by pjq48trains » Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 pm

May I refer you to your posting Mon. Nov.10 2008 - 8:58pm. What you have written is exactly what I would like to do. I am researching the stations you talk about. Warrenpoint - (Newry x 3) - Goraghwood, but I would like to try to do a Warrenpoint module 1st and maybe if the interest grows a club could be started to do the rest. Looking at the "Old Warrenpoint forum I believe it would be interesting. I propose to do a prototype in "N" gauge and according to the map I have (thanks to you) from the Dock Corner at dock Street to the edge of the Box Factory (just in view) would fit on an 8ft board and from the front of the houses in Newry Street to the end of the dock pier would be less than 600mm approximately at a scale of 1:150 or 2mm - 1ft approximately. You could afford to loose a foot or two (measurement not Limb) without taking away from the overall picture.
Therefore I would be grateful if you could send me the OS Maps you have of the areas.

Since the above request I have started a drawing in N gauge (1 : 150)approximately. and attended a model railway club. However I need information about the 2 turn tables at the dock (one behind what used to be Kelly's Offices and the other at the splay (if thats the right word for)). Could you or anyone tell me how the wagons operated on those tracks? Were they pushed or pulled by manpower or horses? or how were the shunters turned? as turntables would take up too much space.
Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
pjq48trains

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#122 Post by pjq48trains » Wed May 13, 2009 9:12 pm

I have started the model railway of Warrenpoint station, I thought I was doing quite well and it seemed to fit on smaller baseboards that I thought. It was only today when I received templates of the turnouts etc., that I noticed my mistake, so its back to the drawing board for me to double the layout size. At least I have it started and it should be easier to double the size than to start from scratch again. I still cannot find any photos from the Dock or shore side nor from Newry Street Corner (from the square about the 50's to 1965). So please ask forum members (or others) to keep me informed as they could help with the scenery and make my project more realistic looking.
I intend to take photos and video of it as it develops and I would like to put it onto this site for ex-Warrenpoint people and their descendants.
Regards
pjq48trains

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10476
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#123 Post by Brian » Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm

I've been asking about for photographs, and I'm not having much luck so far ~x( But I am sure some will turn up. :D Best of luck with the project, it is something I wanted to do myself, but lack of funds (and space to build it) put paid to that idea.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#124 Post by pjq48trains » Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 am

Brian wrote:I've been asking about for photographs, and I'm not having much luck so far ~x( But I am sure some will turn up. :D Best of luck with the project, it is something I wanted to do myself, but lack of funds (and space to build it) put paid to that idea.
Thanks Brian, I thought I wasn't getting through to the site with my queries, but your response is answering that. Please keep on trying, in the meantime I am (thankfully) continuing with the Newry Street and the Dock (Pier) to the Box Factory, I am preparing the drawings and about to purchase the rails, turnouts etc., and I will try to complete the model landscape, buildings and yards after that. I have attended the Ulster Model Railway Club and the North Down Model Railway Club and getting help, ideas and hands on there. I propose to document my progress with notes, photos and Video and (with your help and permission) post them on your site. Maybe you and other Warrenpoint people (with your knowledge of and working in the area) could get to-gether to form a local club, if there is not one there already, to pool resourses. I am a great believer that it would be a good tourist attraction and that Oldwarrenpointforum members and visitors would have pleasant memories of those days as they do with the photographs and pass the information to their children, grandchildren and beyond.
That brings me to my next point, "May I use the information including photographs etc., for my project without breaching Copywright?. I wish to use them for research, display and purchasing purposes and not for profit.
Thanking you in anticipation,
Regards
pjq48trains

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10476
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#125 Post by Brian » Sun May 17, 2009 11:22 am

I personally have no problems with you using any images and text from here for the project, as you say it will be a good thing to have, but if you have not already done so, could you send a quick email to Barrie (whose extensive photos are the mainstay of this thread) and just check with him to get permission to use his pictures. If you could draft up a little request for information (not unlike what you have placed here) I will post it in the public noticeboard/request section in case some people have not read this. We are trying hard to get a museum somewhere in the town, and that is an ongoing project of mine to see if we can get one started with the help of forum members, the historical society etc. keep up the good work :D

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#126 Post by pjq48trains » Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am

Brian wrote:I personally have no problems with you using any images and text from here for the project, as you say it will be a good thing to have, but if you have not already done so, could you send a quick email to Barrie (whose extensive photos are the mainstay of this thread) and just check with him to get permission to use his pictures. If you could draft up a little request for information (not unlike what you have placed here) I will post it in the public noticeboard/request section in case some people have not read this. We are trying hard to get a museum somewhere in the town, and that is an ongoing project of mine to see if we can get one started with the help of forum members, the historical society etc. keep up the good work :D
Thanks again Brian, I don't know Barrie's details, (Just what is on site) therefore would you mind forwarding my requests to all contributors of the (railway/harbour/Warrenpoint and district scenic photographs) as I may wish to use some them for my project?. It may go public but I would not wish to breach Copyright law. I have already got permission of the Publishers of the "Warrenpoint Branch" and they are happy to allow their material to be used and like you have wished me luck.
Is this the sort of information you need tor the public noticeboard/ request section?
"I am researching a project and have just started building a model railway of Warrenpoint Railway Station During 1950's to Closer in 1965 and request any information (preferably photographs). I request photographs of "From the Docks/Coal yard side and From the Square Side from Kelly's Offices, First & Last, Cafe ????, Newry Street and The Ulster Hotel" Also photographs of
Newry Street at that time including The Station Masters House etc..
Thanks again
pjq48trains (full details with admin.)

biggles
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:20 am
My real name: Barrie
Location: South London

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#127 Post by biggles » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Brian created this little corner of the ‘Old Warrenpoint’ site, for my brother and my 1964 / 1965 pictures of the old railway. That was back at the tail end of last year and I have been amazed and delighted by the response. I’m sorry, for ‘life,’ job and computer reasons, I haven’t been keeping a regular eye on matters. I also haven’t been able to add more images, because most of them still need scanning and the person who volunteered to do that hasn’t been very productive. I’m trying to make alternative arrangements at the moment. As they come available I’ll do my best to post a few of the more interesting.
There are about a dozen more colour stills, mostly of engines and not yet shown. Then there are in excess of 350 B&W negatives, most of which never got further than negative develop and contact print. Some are the railway and its staff during its last summer (64) and a lot are the railway derelict and being lifted.
Then there is the unedited colour movie of the railway in 1964...that’s got as far as a digital restoration and transfer by the BBC, for me to do goodness knows what with. Finally, I have some ‘memorabilia’ of the railway… just waiting for Brian’s museum! My best wishes to the railway modellers, you are welcome to use my pictures for non-commercial purposes. If you are after pictures of something specific, let me know and I’ll try to help.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#128 Post by pjq48trains » Tue May 26, 2009 11:13 am

biggles wrote:Brian created this little corner of the ‘Old Warrenpoint’ site, for my brother and my 1964 / 1965 pictures of the old railway. That was back at the tail end of last year and I have been amazed and delighted by the response. I’m sorry, for ‘life,’ job and computer reasons, I haven’t been keeping a regular eye on matters. I also haven’t been able to add more images, because most of them still need scanning and the person who volunteered to do that hasn’t been very productive. I’m trying to make alternative arrangements at the moment. As they come available I’ll do my best to post a few of the more interesting.
There are about a dozen more colour stills, mostly of engines and not yet shown. Then there are in excess of 350 B&W negatives, most of which never got further than negative develop and contact print. Some are the railway and its staff during its last summer (64) and a lot are the railway derelict and being lifted.
Then there is the unedited colour movie of the railway in 1964...that’s got as far as a digital restoration and transfer by the BBC, for me to do goodness knows what with. Finally, I have some ‘memorabilia’ of the railway… just waiting for Brian’s museum! My best wishes to the railway modellers, you are welcome to use my pictures for non-commercial purposes. If you are after pictures of something specific, let me know and I’ll try to help.
Thanks "biggles" for the above comments, your efforts of the 1950's to 1965 railway photos etc., will not go to waste, nor will your presense of mind to retain them. I'ts only now that our generation appreciates them and in time the present and future generations will do to. I am quite sure that the will make good use of your work and I (who cannot claim to be a "Point Person" am very interested as it is teriffic research for my project. As I have said in previous threads? I would like photos of the Station, tracks, etc., from the Docks and Shore side and the buildings of Kelly's Offices, 1st & Last, (I have been told that the Next building was a Cafe or Chip shop (Carryout), then Newry Street and the Ulster Hotel (now Jack Ryan's) from the Square Direction. Also if there is any information about the Station Masters House etc., Can you or any of your contacts inform me as to how the Shunters were turned at the Docks? The maps show 2 turntables but if I were to try to maintain a realistic size of the area these would not fit.
Again thank you most kindly
pjq48trains

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#129 Post by pjq48trains » Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Sorry part of my last response should have included "I am quite sure that the BBC will make good use of your work ..........ETC.,
Is this correction working out?? as it doesn't look like it on screen.
Regards
pjq48trains

gerrybradley
Member
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Location: louth

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#130 Post by gerrybradley » Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 pm

The station masters house stood in Newry St till it was demolished in mid 1970.It survived for nearly 4 years after the station closed because my family of 2 adults and 6 children lived there.
The council wanted to knock the house down,but we had to be rehoused first.They eventually offered us a house.in Maginnis villas and we moved out that summer.The new road was laid up to our front garden,they couldnt wait to get us out.We moved in the morning and when we went back that afternoon the house was half demolished.
By that stage the only building to survive was the First and Last pub,which still stands today.
Ill try and get a photo of the house,there must be a few at home.There is a few station houses about still,exactly the same design as the one we lived in.I know of 3 that are still lived in,one in Balbriggan station,one in Carrickmacross and one in Navan beside the old station.
Thanks for all the great photos,cant wait to see the rest,especially the staff ones from 64/65.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#131 Post by pjq48trains » Sat May 30, 2009 11:03 am

gerrybradley wrote:The station masters house stood in Newry St till it was demolished in mid 1970.It survived for nearly 4 years after the station closed because my family of 2 adults and 6 children lived there.
The council wanted to knock the house down,but we had to be rehoused first.They eventually offered us a house.in Maginnis villas and we moved out that summer.The new road was laid up to our front garden,they couldnt wait to get us out.We moved in the morning and when we went back that afternoon the house was half demolished.
By that stage the only building to survive was the First and Last pub,which still stands today.
Ill try and get a photo of the house,there must be a few at home.There is a few station houses about still,exactly the same design as the one we lived in.I know of 3 that are still lived in,one in Balbriggan station,one in Carrickmacross and one in Navan beside the old station.
Thanks for all the great photos,cant wait to see the rest,especially the staff ones from 64/65.

Thanks Gerry, I look forward to seeing the photos of the Station Master's House (and others) that will help with my project, it is rewarding to hear from someone who actually lived in the House and Newry Street.
Awaiting the next thread.
pjq48trains

George Williamson
Member
Member
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#132 Post by George Williamson » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 am

It was a mistake to abandon the railway between Warrenpoint and Newry. What a tourist attraction it would be today plus a wonderful scenic experience.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#133 Post by pjq48trains » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Gerry any Luck with photographs of your old Station House in the 1950's - 1965?
Regards
pjq48trains

maurice
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#134 Post by maurice » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Great photos takes me back to my school days "happy days"

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#135 Post by pjq48trains » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm

I hope this part of the forum hasn't been exhausted? as I have heard nothing about it since April,2009. Has Gerry Bradley or anyone got any photos of The station Masters House (his home) or any of the photos previously requested. I haven't made much progress on the model myself since then. I haven't cleared out the study (where the layout is suppossed to go) I tend to keep everything (old books, tapes, photos, CD's equipment etc.,) the family say I should dump it all or who would want it anyway. But I insist that it should be useful some day. I give the "Old Warrenpoint Forum" as an example, eventhough I am not from the "Point" I get great pleasure in going through the various threads and as your caption says "guaranteed to make you miss an appointment" so true, I find myself being on for ages each time. Maybe I should leave it and get on with my project. Hovever, enough from me at present, please keep the details coming that I could continue the layout as a prototype.
By the way, I am having great difficulty soursing the correct loco's, carriages, wagons, etc., that used Warrenpoint, there doesn't seem to be much interest in GNR(I) or UTA rolling stock in N Gauge (1:148) or 2mm fine scale (2mm - 300mm)
Trusting all forum members, etc are well
Regards PJQ48trains

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10476
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#136 Post by Brian » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm still looking for anything about the railways and indeed will be searching out the newspaper articles about the station closing within the next week or so - hopefully I will be able to find other railway related stuff when I am there. Forums are funny creatures, threads can go unwatched or used for many months (even years) and suddenly burst back into life again - I've sent a couple of emails off to a few members to see if they had anything else but have heard nothing back yet and I don't like to rush people but I may send a reminder soon.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#137 Post by pjq48trains » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks Brian, I too do not wish to rush members either as I maynot know their circumstances. But I am keen to learn more about the railway in Warrenpoint. I have been rereading the thread again, I have noticed that either "biggles", "greatnorthern" or "pjMac07" 0r some other members have some information, Further photos, maps etc., including info of the railway line from Newry to Goraghwood and "gerrybradley" may have photos of his parents house "Warrenpoint Station Masters House" Reseaching the matter further I have found that there were 2 siding to the "Domac Factory" do you or anyone have photos of these? If so, I would welcome them too. Hoping this finds you all well and look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Regards,
P J Quinn.

fishylady
Member
Member
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#138 Post by fishylady » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Lovely photographs Biggles.....I remember the Rigby Family in Great George's St
The lived beside a George Mc Nellis who happened too be our breadman.
That was when bread was delivered to one's door.
There was a Derek in the family.

pjq48trains
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#139 Post by pjq48trains » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Owing to circumstances beyond my control I haven't been in touch with this site, but there appears to be no further postings regarding the above. Just to bring the matter upto date, can anyone provide photos of the Station Master's House, Newry Street (Ex Gerry Bradleys House) or some from the docks side towards the station. Also was the DowMac factory within the facinity? as I have notice siding going towards it. Information on this and the old DNW terminis would help.

User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10476
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Warrenpoint
Contact:

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#140 Post by Brian » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 am

Just bringing this thread back up again - we are still looking for information as per the last few threads so if anybody has anything, please let us know either through the forum or by email. :D

Rose-ann
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#141 Post by Rose-ann » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:25 am

Fab photos of the railway brings many memories to mind. Thankyou to all involved for sharing these great pictures
:-):-) :photo:

User avatar
silveryfox
Member
Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:38 pm
My real name: Jim Linden
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#142 Post by silveryfox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Brian wrote:Just bringing this thread back up again - we are still looking for information as per the last few threads so if anybody has anything, please let us know either through the forum or by email. :D
Brian

Bumping this back again - would there be anything at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... Hp8Q4&NR=1 that might be of use? (footage of train from Newry to the Point partway through the movie)

Jim

Padraigin
Member
Member
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#143 Post by Padraigin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Great, thank you, when did Biggles' folks live in Gt Georges St? Whereabouts?

User avatar
Charlotte's Treat
Member
Member
Posts: 1366
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Warrenpoint

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#144 Post by Charlotte's Treat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 pm

silveryfox wrote:
Brian wrote:Just bringing this thread back up again - we are still looking for information as per the last few threads so if anybody has anything, please let us know either through the forum or by email. :D
Brian

Bumping this back again - would there be anything at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... Hp8Q4&NR=1 that might be of use? (footage of train from Newry to the Point partway through the movie)

Jim
All of the footage that I put up on Youtube many years ago from this and the other two clips from the original BBC Programme narrated by Rowan Hand will have been available to the makers of tonights programme i'm sure.

TGM
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Re: The Railway - a collection of photographs from 1964/65

#145 Post by TGM » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Photo by the late Seamus Magee
Attachments
651330.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “Trains, Planes & Automobiles (and boats)”