oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:12 am 

Absolutely brilliant !!!! I have very sketchy memories of the trains but with the quantity and quality of these photographs the years go rolling back . . . and all the background detail . . . and so many tracks and the infrastructure . . . I didn't realise the railway was such a significant operation in the town. Indeed what a loss to the port and the town.

Wonderful stuff!! Biggles, to you and your brother thanks so very much for sharing these photographs with us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 pm 

There is a programme on BBC2 tonight (Thurs) at 8.00pm which may interest railway enthusiasts.
Its presented by Ian Hislop and looks at rail travel in Britain pre Dr.Beechings report,and the subsequent impact his report had on the railways/landscape.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm 

A big thankyou to Biggles - I hadnt seen photos of my granda (George Walker)at work like this and
the pictures of the trains etc are fantastic and very interesting

Thanks for sharing !!!! :-):-) :genius:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:01 pm 

I dont remember the railway as it all ended a few years before i was born, but i have to say this has been a wonderful thread (so far), i have enjoyed all the photographs which are of excellent quality, and reading all your memories. And the information of the railway is so precise. Biggles thankyou for sharing the photos and information, a great asset to the Forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:08 am 

adele wrote:
A big thankyou to Biggles - I hadnt seen photos of my granda (George Walker)at work like this and
the pictures of the trains etc are fantastic and very interesting

Thanks for sharing !!!! :-):-) :genius:

adele did your granda George live on Lower Dromore Road at anytime?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 am 

Eugene wrote:
There is a programme on BBC2 tonight (Thurs) at 8.00pm which may interest railway enthusiasts.
Its presented by Ian Hislop and looks at rail travel in Britain pre Dr.Beechings report,and the subsequent impact his report had on the railways/landscape.

Did you watch it Eugene? Ian Hislop did a great job,I thought, and featured one of my all time favourite people and lover of railways: John Betjeman. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:20 am 

I did indeed watch it Adie.............very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 pm 

Thank you Biggles + Brian, not forgetting the other musketter Andrew. With out the three of you these wonderful and truly magnificient pictures would never have appeared. I live across the road from where the station used to be and I heard so much about it and often wondered what it looked like. Now I know.

I can only picture the scene if the railway were still here today?

Great collection of pictures and thank you so much for allowing them to be shown here on this wonderful forum.

Full steam ahead, brilliant. Now everyone else has said so many compliments, I can't follow that.
Thanks again. :genius:

I think you also deserve one of these :photo:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:32 pm 

Dippik, Adele obciously hasn't seen your post (she is my niece) and yes my Dad did live on Lower Dromore Rd.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:36 pm 

Pauline Reardon wrote:
Dippik, Adele obciously hasn't seen your post (she is my niece) and yes my Dad did live on Lower Dromore Rd.

Yes pauline they lived next door to us, i was very young but mummy still remember's George and his wife with great affection.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:08 pm 

Hi Dippik - living next door to my parents should make you one of the McCann's? I lived there too till about 1961 and then went to London. Hope your family are all well - I remember you father (Owen) - didn't he work in the DOWMAC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:24 pm 

Hello Pauline
I only discovered this site a few weeks ago and have already found it very useful and the subject matter is very interesting. Because I left home at 15 years old I have been a blow in and stranger everywhere but this website has reminded me that I do come from somewhere. Your brother Wesley used to come down to West's to say hello when he was home on leave and I hope he is doing well. Forgive me,whilst I can remember visiting your home and meeting your mother I can't remember now, why. One of your posts mentioned my name and confirmed my origins. I trust you and all your family are well. You may be interested to know that we have 3 daughters, 6 grandchildren and 3 greatgrandchildren.
Kindest regards
Stanley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm 

Stanley Nesbitt - Milltown? Joined RAF?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:31 pm 

Yes Pauline thats me, glad to be in contact. Stanley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:33 pm 

Pauline Reardon wrote:
Hi Dippik - living next door to my parents should make you one of the McCann's? I lived there too till about 1961 and then went to London. Hope your family are all well - I remember you father (Owen) - didn't he work in the DOWMAC.

I was born in 1961 pauline,yes I'm one of the mc Cann's. you are right daddy did work in the Dowmac. saddly he passed away March 2001.Good to hear from you. :--)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:10 pm 

Pauline Reardon wrote:
Stanley Nesbitt - Milltown? Joined RAF?

Aka, now you're unmasked :thumbs: I know your brother Sidney and his wife Roberta and family well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:06 am 

Sorry Dippik I havent been on in a while as busy with Christmas etc. Yes as Auntie Pauline confirmed , my granda did live down there. :reindeer: :xmastree:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:42 am 

biggles wrote:
I can’t tell you how much pleasure it has given my brother and I, being able to share our ’Point railway pictures and how wonderfully you have all received them. We both loved Warrenpoint and especially the railway. As the demise of the line came closer, the more manic became our efforts to record what was there. The final lunacy was as lifting began at Warrenpoint, I walked and photographed just about the entire derelict railway, from Goraghwood to Warrenpoint, most of the walk with a sprained ankle…but that’s another story. So if there’s any part you want to see…let me know, if you haven‘t had quite enough already!
I must apologise for a few pictures that had accidentally been double exposed and ghost images have appeared. One day I’ll try to tidy them up, when I learn to use PhotoShop. To reply to a couple of member’s queries…

Adie, the “civilian & son?” helping turn No 63 “Slievenamon”. As far as I’m aware, the two adults were the driver and fireman and the lad was my brother and co-photographer. On page six of this thread, the first photo is No 63, finished being turned, coming off the turntable with Andrew up on the footplate…again.

PatMG07 asks about buildings being demolished. Northbrook was correct in identifying the 4th picture as Edward St loco shed. The shed was in use in ’61 but by ’64 was derelict. There had been a fire and the roof was gone, but otherwise it was just slowly falling apart on it’s own. Picture No 5 is a ¼ frame, double-exposed wreck of an image, that Brian has rescued and made presentable. It was taken in ’64, inside the docks at the ‘Point (that’s Warrenpoint station behind), of a line of very old dock wagons being cut up. That’s my brother again… this time saving the wagon number plates for posterity!

Northbrook: As far as I know, none of the ‘Jeeps’ went to CIE. Certainly No 1 carries the U.T.A. crest. In the summer of ’64, the Jeeps used to come in to the ’Point, mostly on Weekend specials, when there could be as many as 3 of them simmering in the afternoon sun. Summer Sunday afternoons were magical, especially as the railway staff were amazingly tolerant of our wandering freely. The Jeeps were powerful machines, but our favourites were the ex-Great Northern 4-4-0’s.

Thank you all for your very kind comments.

Hi There
Great Photos.Any chance of photos from Edward Street to Goraghwood (particularly Goraghwood Station as I would like to build a model of it and photos of it are hard to come by.
Best Regards
Great Northern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 pm 

patMG07 wrote:
Thanks northbrook and Brian ! I look forward to seeing more pictures. For some time I've harboured the notion of creating a model of Warrenpoint Railway Station.......when I was a young lad I was into airfix models etc. but it is many years since I ever tried anything like that....but some day I'd love to take up the hobby once more and I can think of no better subject than Warrenpoint Station. Photos such as those dislayed on this site are a great help...so perhaps some day the dream will become a reality.

Hi patMG07:
I have just joined "oldwarrenpointforum" with the view of researching and building a prototype model of Warrenpoint station. I was browsing through the pages and like you think the pictures by northbrook and brian are great. I have started with Des fitzGeralds book "The Warrenpoint Branch" but the additional pictures give a more realistic, proportional and sizes of the location. Like you too I have been harboring the idea of building the station for a long time and now that I have retired, I am doing more research and might eventually get started. I would like to see (if possible) Views from the square, the docks and the shore at the dock side, pictures of the Dock Gates, the first and last, whatever buildings were between it and Newry Street (I am told there was a Cafe there), Newry Street and the Ulster Hotel (Now Jack Ryans' ) also larger block plans of the station in the 1940's - 1960's. I notice it is nearly a year now since your postings/comments. Did you ever get started? and if so how are you getting on? I would like my request for photos and block plans (or any help) to go to the wider appeal on the forum, but I don't know how to use it yet. Maybe if you have time could you help me with it or put me in touch with other enthusiasts.
Thanking you
P J Quinn (Joseph)
ps I have been reading through more of the postings and biggles reply to you. Did he ever get you the large scale O.S. maps etc.,? They seem to be what I have been looking for. Please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 pm 

I posted these maps before on the forum.They might be of some help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 pm 

Hi Greenrooster
I have received the maps, thanks for the quick response, hopefully I can make use of them soon. By the way is the building at top left going out of shot the Box factory? Thanks again
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:24 am 

pjq48trains wrote:
Did you ever get started?

Nowhere near starting yet I'm afraid. It is on my 'to do' list.....probably somewhere around 3,475 on the list ! Seriously though, it is something I really want to do.
As you mention the photographs and plans on this site are very useful. There are also a few aerial photos from the 60's (in the VIP section) which might be helpful. If I find anything that may be of use I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 pm 

pjq48trains wrote:
Hi Greenrooster
I have received the maps, thanks for the quick response, hopefully I can make use of them soon. By the way is the building at top left going out of shot the Box factory? Thanks again
pjq48trains

Yep! That's the box factory.If you download the maps you can zoom in for more detail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:45 pm 

Thanks again Greenrooster
I have enlarged the maps on screen but the box factory was on the edge of yours so I couldn't zoom in on it further, however it does give me proportions and I look forward to the photos towards the station from the square direction, they might give me some ideas of the buildings from that direction.
Regards,
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 pm 

patMG07 wrote:
pjq48trains wrote:
Did you ever get started?

Nowhere near starting yet I'm afraid. It is on my 'to do' list.....probably somewhere around 3,475 on the list ! Seriously though, it is something I really want to do.
As you mention the photographs and plans on this site are very useful. There are also a few aerial photos from the 60's (in the VIP section) which might be helpful. If I find anything that may be of use I'll let you know.

Hi patMG07
Sorry to hear you haven't started yet, maybe I'm being selfish but I was hoping for guidance and knowhow from the locals. I will have a look for the Video in the VIP section. I did see an aerial plan of the station and docks somewhere but it seemed to go back in time quite a bit and it got very blurred when I zoomed in on it. By the way I have some current, (2008) aerial photos and DVD tape that my brother and I took of the area. They may be useful to someone in the future so when I learn how to post to the site I might try it.
Keep trying with the railway modeling, it might encourage selfish me to keep trying too.
Regards
pjq48trains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:53 pm 

greenrooster, do any of your maps show the Burren Road area, as I would love to see what it was like in 1964/65. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:29 pm 

Brian you don't have any pictures from the Newry Reporter of the last train leaving warrenpoint. There's a very interesting character in a "paddy hat" in one of them. I used to have a copy of it but since the heart bypass "she who is to be obeyed" does not like me climbing up into the roof space, at least that's where i think it is.
Donaghaguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:30 pm 

Liz wrote:
greenrooster, do any of your maps show the Burren Road area, as I would love to see what it was like in 1964/65. :D

Sorry Liz the only maps i have are o.s maps of warrenpoint.I'll do a bit of noseying they should be out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 pm 

[quote="biggles"]I don’t know what Brian will make of model railways on the full-size railway thread, but here goes…. This is for PatMG07 and his thoughts of a model of the Warrenpoint Station site. I have found my Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map of Warrenpoint, from the 1950 survey. .................. all the railway tracks, including the complex layout on the dock and much more besides.
In my opinion, to do justice, you would need to include the dock and Dock Street at one end of the layout and go as far as the DowMac crossing at the other end. The station site is in the shape of a backwards letter L, stretched out until it is almost, but not quite straight.

May I refer you to your posting Non. Nov.10 2008 - 8:58pm. What you have written is exactly what I would like to do. I am researching the stations you talk about. Warrenpoint - (Newry x 3) - Goraghwood, but I would like to try to do a Warrenpoint module 1st and maybe if the interest grows a club could be started to do the rest. Looking at the "Old Warrenpoint forum I believe it would be interesting. I propose to do a prototype in "N" gauge and according to the map I have (thanks to you) from the Dock Corner at dock Street to the edge of the Box Factory (just in view) would almost fit on an 8ft board and from the front of the houses in Newry Street to the end of the dock pier would be 800mm at a scale of 1:150 or 2mm - 1ft approximately. You could afford to loose a foot or two (measurement not Limb) without taking away from the overall picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next