oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

These pictures are part of a selection I have received from a new forum member "Biggles" living in England who's grandparents were Kathleen and Albert Rigby, of Great Georges Street (later Lower Dromore road) they were taken by himself and his brother in August 1964, and show life as it was then in and around the train station including some of the last days of the railway.

Please note all the pictures you see are indeed copyright to the owner(s) and we have seen some of them on other sites with the copyright watermark removed, may I just remind everyone that while we don't mind others sharing the pictures, at the very least leave the copyright marks on or mention where they came from

U class (1947) No68 "Down" (ex GNRI No 205) Scrapped May 21st 1965 photographed platform 1 Warrenpoint

UG No 48 in UTA Black livery, lined cream and red on the turntable at Warrenpoint

No 66 at platform 1. goods shed behind guards van, siding to the docks at the right

"Jeep" no 1 (loco class WT, ex N.C.C. built 1946-1950) with Peter Rodgers, shunter at Warrenpoint

Warrenpoint Station

The end of the line

beyond the "Dow Mac" crossing summer 1965

The lifting rail-head beyond Dow Mac, with the tractor used to tow the released lengths of rail to stockpiles. The man in the tweed jacket is believed to be the scrap contractor John Eastwood. the entire line to Goraghwood was sold for £30,000.

Thats just a taster, there are at least another 40 or so pictures in this collection.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 pm 

Absolutely fantastic photographs Biggles, thankyou for sharing them. I will look forward to seeing the rest of them.

Im wondering can anyone see themselves heading off to school here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:51 pm 

Fantastic pictures Brian, .................I think I see Tony Peddigrew in one of those pictures ..........................................

Not Tony Peddigrew !!...............most definitely Peter Rogers at the turntable .................................

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 pm 

Wonderful photos.......Id forgotten about the Rigbys, so this is a nice double surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 am 

These are fabulous photos biggles of the train station and trains.
Thanks for letting us see them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:02 am 

Great pictures Brian. I can vaguely remember seeing a tractor working on the removal of the rails further up towards Newry although I would have thought that would have been more like 1965 or even 66, presumably it took some time to complete the task. I look forward to seeing more photos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:23 am 

these pics are priceless...well done biggles :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:34 am 

The picture taken at the front of the station....looking at the shed in the background....is that where the First & Last have set up the shelter for the smokers?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:24 am 

Lovely fotos to have and to share with everyone....well done Biggles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 am 

patMG07 wrote:
The picture taken at the front of the station....looking at the shed in the background....is that where the First & Last have set up the shelter for the smokers?

No Pat, that shed was right beside the station, then above that the station yard and the station masters house, then the First and Last ............................................I remember that shed been used for Sunday School excursioners to have their picnic lunches in, the American army also used it as a canteen for the troops billeted in the town, and in the evenings it was used for dances, boxing matches and concerts etc.................the box factory also used it as a paper store before it was demolished ...........................

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

patMG07 wrote:
Great pictures Brian. I can vaguely remember seeing a tractor working on the removal of the rails further up towards Newry although I would have thought that would have been more like 1965 or even 66, presumably it took some time to complete the task. I look forward to seeing more photos.

Yes pat the date for those pictures was 1965 (I did mention that under the 1st picture ;) ) but I changed the date and title slightly as I have some Newry ones to add as well :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:25 pm 

Brian, Guy with the bucket in photo 6 looks like my Dad. Can anyone confirm. :--)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:44 pm 

It certainly looks like him, did he work for the salvage company after the closing of the line ? ...............................

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:08 pm 

Thanks northbrook and Brian ! I look forward to seeing more pictures. For some time I've harboured the notion of creating a model of Warrenpoint Railway Station.......when I was a young lad I was into airfix models etc. but it is many years since I ever tried anything like that....but some day I'd love to take up the hobby once more and I can think of no better subject than Warrenpoint Station. Photos such as those dislayed on this site are a great help...so perhaps some day the dream will become a reality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:19 pm 

Fantastic to see those photos Biggles, thanks so much for letting us view them :>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

that might help any layout a bit Pat, :D Barrie tells me that as far as he knows, that map is in private hands here in the point somewhere.

Here are a couple more pictures with somebody some of you should know in the bottom one ;) .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:38 pm 

As I mentioned before Brian I have a great book here with lots of information and photos about the local railway system, it includes a sketch map of the Warrenpoint layout....probably derived from the map you have just posted. These are great photos to see and every little helps....perhaps we could make it an 'oldwarrenpoint' project...to contruct a model...just need a good shed somewhere....a 'bit' of spare time......always fancied having a railway set ! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:11 pm 

patMG07- every little boy loves a train station and model trains.
My own son was no exception. His dad built him one when he was
around 2(too young to appreciate it then) complete with stations,
mountains and little towns. I think Don enjoyed it more than he
did. It was quite a display. Everything for the display was purchased
at a hobby shop. He was the only child then and we were able to have a
bedroom just for this display. I don't think we even took a photo of it.
The pieces are probably in the house somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 am 

This luggage tag was for sale on ebay recently....it's amazing to see the things that are sold on ebay ! Think I'll start keeping my receipts from Eurospar....might be able to put them on ebay in 30 or 40 years time....if I'm still around ! :-O

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 am 

Fantastics pictures Brian and thank to Biggles for sharing them with us.I particularly like the one with the passengers on the platform. :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:37 pm 

Great pictures !...the railway was long gone before I was around but Mum often reminisces fondly about travelling from Newry to the 'Point ( and back :D ). It's such a pity that it really wasn't economically viable any longer. Back when I worked in Belfast for a few years I certainly would have preferred to take a train fom the 'Point to Newry and on to Belfast if it had been available rather than driving through Newry... When I lived in New Jersey it was in a place called Belmar, in central New Jersey, the Jersey Shore as it is referred to ( Bruce Springsteen country), Belmar/Point Pleasant were as far south as you could live in New Jersey and still commute into the city (New York) on a daily basis via train ( and you could relax on the way to work, grab something to eat, read a paper, get some work done etc...), being at the "end of the line" was a great boost for Belmar as it brought a lot of people to the area and led to a great community being built up in that area.... in this day and age it would have been wonderful to see Warrenpoint benefit in a similar manner.

It would also mean less need for cars comoing into the town ( and therefore less parking issues about the place !)

Pat - I think you'r idea of building a model of the old Warrenpoint station is fantastic ! ...would make a great centre-piece in the Old Warrenpoint Musuem ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:03 pm 

No doubt about that being a photo of Dad and what brilliant one. He had muscles in his arms like Arnie Zwartzeneger (spelling?) from taking and giving the staff to the engine drivers and the permanent tan that came from living is S.A. when he was young. That was what made me so sure that the sixth photo (man with bucket!) was Dad (also the flat cap that I rarely saw him without). Northbrook, Kathleen says he didn't work for the salvage company and I know he was living in Lisburn when I came back from Malta, Christmas 1967. Is there a chance it could be him? Thanks to whoever posted them - there are very few photos of him and my sons never met him - nice to be able to say 'this is your grandad' at work and now that I have a grandson he can see his Great grandad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:22 pm 

Pauline, of course many of us instantly recognised your father, but like myself I`m sure they were leaving the honours for yourself..................unmistakably George !!..............................As for the `man with the bucket` can`t be 100% sure, but it does look like him ...........................................a cracking photo for your family and as a part of the towns past ....................

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:28 pm 

Biggles i remember your grandparents on the Lower Dromore Road,lovely people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:44 pm 

Quote:
This luggage tag was for sale on ebay recently....it's amazing to see the things that are sold on ebay ! Think I'll start keeping my receipts from Eurospar....might be able to put them on ebay in 30 or 40 years time....if I'm still around ! :-O

Only worth selling if you were served by yours truly Pat!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:03 pm 

charlotte st wrote:
Quote:

Only worth selling if you were served by yours truly Pat!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'll get you to sign them in future ! :rotfl:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

another one of George at work

I think there are a couple more, but he is not as clear in them, but I'll get them posted up in a day or so :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:31 pm 

Thanks Brian. Reading the blurb on the first ones I reckon the Rigsby boys must have been in the Signal box with Daddy .....
odd feeling that 36 years after he passed on that I am looking at photos taken by people who were with him and talked to him all those years ago. Funny too ..... he hated his false teeth and only wore them at weddings and funerals. Look forward to seeing the rest!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:07 am 

This is not just my first post on this website…it’s my first post *anywhere*. It’s entirely due to the encouragement from your hard-working moderator, Brian…so if I get it wrong, blow a fuse and all the lights go out, you know it was me. The other motivation was your kind reception, of my brother’s and my old railway pictures. I was a little nervous when Brian offered to upload them for me, as railway pictures are not everybody’s cup of tea…but you’ve been just lovely. I do have a tendency to write a lot of text, as poor Brian knows when I email him, but I would like just to make a few comments. I’ll do them in separate posts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:10 am 

To Pauline Reardon…Your father was a kind man to us. He was a neighbour of my Gran and once he made the connection as to who we were, he made us royally welcome in his signal box. We used to go back to the ’Point for many holidays with our grandparents and would gravitate to the railway, whenever anyone wasn‘t looking. As well as the colour pictures that Brian is loading for me, I have a friend scanning 300 odd Black & White negatives…don’t panic, I’ll only upload a selection…. but I’ll see if I can put together a little collection of pictures as a tribute to George.