oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 am 

I had been very much looking forward to seeing the model of the railway station that is on display during the festival. I see from the programme that the display is only open from 10.00 - 2.30 daily.

What a pity! For those of us in gainful employment there's little opportunity to get a look.

I have a connection with the railway as I have always been told that I was a passenger on the final train to Newry as a babe in arms. Actually, maybe some of the brighter lights could enlighten me. My mum took me on the train as a small child, but I always thought that the last passenger train was in 1963, but I read on here that the last train was actually in 1965. Is it possible that passenger trains stopped running before then and that goods trains were the last ones? Or am I just mistaken and that I was older than I thought while on the train?

Obviously I have no memory of actually being on it.

Oh. I have emailed the display organisers about the display times. It would be nice to be able to get access on an evening.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just thought I would mention the display is nothing to do with the festival - it is being run by the person that made it for the hospice, and as I understand it the opening times were given to the them by the pastoral centre. and yes the last trains to leave where goods trains.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 am 

I have edited the title of this post accordingly. I'd still like to see it though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm 

Connor, according to the festival website the display is also open on this Saturday. I hope to see it then because work during the week makes it impossible to get down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:21 pm 

patMG07 wrote:
Connor, according to the festival website the display is also open on this Saturday. I hope to see it then because work during the week makes it impossible to get down.

You wouldn't believe it - I'm away to Athlone this weekend to meet up with a group of aerial photographers and therefore can't make it then either! I'm sure that I'm not the only person who would like to see it in the evening. Even if it was open for half an hour one evening during the week?

***Update*** The SAHS have just emailed me and they are going to ask the Pastoral Centre to have it opened one evening.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:22 pm 

I presume that will just be a `flying visit` to Athlone then ? To quote the old Flymo ads, `It`s a lot less bother with a hover` :))

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:55 pm 

sees was n the display this morning.brilliant,and the detail,both inside the model building and outside was first class.Connor even had a model of my mother doing the ironing in the living room.great stuff ,well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 am 

Quick update folks, the centre will be open from 6.00 to 8.30pm on Thursday and Friday nights! Woo Hoo!