The Lady Caroline set sail today 168 years ago

Everything related to all forms of transportation in the Carlingford lough area.
Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Lady Caroline set sail today 168 years ago

#1 Post by Brian » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Photo Newry and Mourne Museum

The Lady Caroline set sail today 168 years ago from Warrenpoint to New Brunswick, Canada. The ship carried people emigrating to escape the effects of the Famine

joanne
My real name: Joanne McStay

Re: The Lady Caroline set sail today 168 years ago

#2 Post by joanne » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:40 am

I have just been wondering what sort of Journey they had ;--) ,and what conditions were like on board?

Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Brian » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 am

joanne wrote:I have just been wondering what sort of Journey they had ;--) ,and what conditions were like on board?
By all accounts pretty dire. Although I cannot be certain that the ships leaving Warrenpoint were of the same low standard as the rest of Ireland and the UK it seems most of them were not fit for purpose at all. On site we have the story of the Hannah that was lost at sea but there are many other sites listing stories and information about these "coffin ships" that sailed back then. It must be noted that it was the early vessels that earned that name but conditions had not improved that much by the time the Lady Caroline set sail.

https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/gene ... s1847.html

When they got there, those that survived faced in some cases even worse conditions and an Asylum was opened in September of 1847 to house those who were left destitute

https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/gene ... n1847.html

Padraigin

#4 Post by Padraigin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 pm

I know an American girl from Grosse Isle, family name Carey, she has been over here, some of you may have met her with us in the Crown!!
Amazing stuff Brian.

Return to “Trains, Planes & Automobiles (and boats)”