oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 am 

What a day ! What a crowd !! hope there is more to follow ......................................................

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:48 pm 

Northbrook - great photos.
Glad the weather held up for all
these people.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 pm 

Hello Northbrook, Nice picture. I'm astonished that a ship this large is able to dock in the Point. A lot of work has been done to accomplish this. Hope the visitors enjoyed the natural beauty of the area.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 am 

George some info you may find helpful. The max turning circle for vessels at Warrenpoint is 160m,so Saga Pearl II comfortable in this respect [ 145m BP..between perpendiculars]. Also the berths used are dredged to a depth of 7.5 m below chart datum with a tidal range of 5.3 m, thus on berthing at high tide the vessel was availing of nearly 13m of water...sailing an hour or so prior to the next high tide left the ship comfortably secured/always afloat during her stay alongside. I actually enjoyed a "dip" at 7.15 am on Sunday morning and the sight of the vessel approaching the Port encased by the Mournes on her starboard side the Cooley's to her port with the early morning cloud just clearing the summits of both ranges was a truly majestic sight and I felt swimming just off Coles corner I had the best seat in the house.
Saga Pearl II calling at the port was a huge success by all accounts..a big well done to all involved. Special mention in despatches to local lads Mark O Hare and our very own Ruairi Heatley [Springfield]..the two lads along with Port Management put a huge amount of work into securing the call..in one fell swoop they have achieved more for tourism than many other bodies have achieved over decades....the success of this venture could perhaps strengthen the case for the Narrow Water Bridge as several of the excursions took people from the vessel direction Carlingford/Cooley's [as well as the Mournes]..also the entertainment laid on around the Town during the vessels stay was excellent. Particularly enjoyed a rollickingly good electric gig by "The Duke Street Boy's" [Paddy,Damian and Jim] in the Park.. their set list included lots of good old rock standards [ Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, Beatles etc] that had the large crowd in attendance regally entertained. Indeed when Jim Heaton tore into a fevered version of Chuck's "Rollover Beethoven " only a steely glare from my better half halted a most undignified duck walk by yours truly...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 am 

Eloquently said Jones Hill as usual and again many congratulations to all concerned, a job well done ...........................................

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 pm 

Terrific work by the organizers. Wish I had been there. The supporting groups must have enjoyed the crowds. I hope it the beginning of "beautiful frendship"between cruise ships and Warrenpoint. I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 pm 

Hi Jones Hill, Swimming off Harry Coles corner was a popular spot for me and my friends (65) years ago. Your view of the lough unrestricted all the way to Carlingford. You bring back pleasant memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm 

I thought I recognised the silhouette.....it’s ex M.S. Astor, from my old employer: Safmarine!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm 

Well spotted tzapha, built 1981 in Germany and named Astor, aka Arkona, Astoria, Saga Pearl II, MV Quest for Adventure, and finally Saga Pearl II again, quite a history. courtesy of Wiki ...............................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 am 

What a marvelous event for the town and its people! Well done to all involved in making it a reality and to those who turned out to welcome the visitors. Hopefully, the word of the Point's allure and the friendliness of the people will lead to more such visits.
Any photos of the entertainment?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 am 

Sorry Pat, I only got pics of the arrival, far too many people in the town for the sail away so we watched it from sea-view..................................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think I can remember the point as busy ALL day from the early hours right up to near enough midnight. It was a bit like fireworks night during the festival but instead of a few hours it was the entire day. Drawback was of course it was difficult to get parked and/or move around the town - it was also very warm so walking huge distances was out as well, and then I got called away in the afternoon so was unable to get more pictures :-( But I did manage to get a few around the park and have them posted now http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=11540

For one day at least, the town had its "mojo" back. I spoke to a few people and they told me that you could not get a seat in any of the café's from early morning, there were people up from Cavan and Dublin, some had came down from Belfast and even Portrush to see the ship and I overheard one of the passengers telling another local that they could not get over the warmth and friendliness they received from everyone they met, and as for the scenery they simply described it as "breathtaking"

This was (and is) an historic moment and rightly deserves it's place here in the forum and in the local press. The few serial complainers were of course out and about but by and large they were very much outnumbered and even one of them had to admit that it was a good thing for the town.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 am 

How right you are, Brian.

Fantastic day for the Town.
The last time I remember crowds
like that was back in the Fifties.

It took me over half an hour to travel
from the Golf Club to the Baths.

Whilst queuing for ice cream I overheard
Passengers saying they were coming
back for the Maidens.

That's a recommendation.

And why wouldn't they come back.!!!

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

Brian - Was there any T.V. coverage
for the Event?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 am 

Brian wrote:

For one day at least, the town had its "mojo" back. I spoke to a few people and they told me that you could not get a seat in any of the café's from early morning, there were people up from Cavan and Dublin, some had came down from Belfast and even Portrush to see the ship and I overheard one of the passengers telling another local that they could not get over the warmth and friendliness they received from everyone they met, and as for the scenery they simply described it as "breathtaking"

Ahhhh, music to these old ears. And besides the people on the cruise, you even drew in visitors from other Irish towns. Great news for all the Point. A salute to all involved.