oldwarrenpointforum

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being myself
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A few snaps from this morning of the Saga Pearl 2's journey up the lough to dock in Warrenpoint. I put these in here as it is the first cruse ship to visit Warrenpoint and therefore what we would call a historic occasion. 60 pictures in all in thumbnail form so just click on each thumbnail to enlarge and then if needs be the little magnifying glass bottom right of each picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:22 am 

Brian- you are right, it is a piece of History.

Sterling work.......great photos. :photo:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some from Maurice McCabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 pm 

Great pic of the Silver Band.

Went to see the Saga Pearl
and got the bonus of hearing
the Band play.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 pm 

Saga Pearl Arriving and Departing Warrenpoint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 pm 

Excellent ! thanks for sharing ........................

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:07 pm 

Great video....pleasure to watch it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 pm 

Great pictures & video, well done to all concerned. :thank you:
It felt like I was there taking part in what was happening,
only wish I had been!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:34 am 

Warreypoint - enjoyed that very much.
Thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And just to round it all up, the Captains blog (with apologies to Star Trek fans!) :rotfl:

http://travel.saga.co.uk/Ocean-Cruises/Our-ships/Saga-Pearl-II/Saga-Pearl-II-Blog.aspx?id=%7B70FBA3AA-8883-4E61-91C8-D4A883E17629%7D&month=7&year=2014

reprinted here in case the link breaks (minus the obligatory Wikipedia paragraph) .

Quote:
We made our arrival to the pilot station at 6 o’clock in the morning shrouded in thick fog. Thank fully once our pilot hopped onboard the fog cleared and the beautiful Carlingford Lough came into the view. The pilot was joined by a local TV crew who wished to film our arrival into the stunning town, we really were big news in Warrenpoint and were to break all sorts of local records. Not only were we the first ever passenger vessel to visit, we were in fact the largest ship ever to dock alongside. The TV presenter was a real character, oozing ‘craic’ as I believe it’s called in these parts, and he kept me chuckling all the way to our berth.

As we approached the narrow inner harbour the welcome we received was really something else and it appeared as if all the towns folk had made the effort to get up early (on a Sunday morning too!) and watch us arrive, the added touch of a brass band playing on the quayside was another fabulous little touch.

With our gangway in place our organised excursions started to make their way ashore. “Belfast and the Titanic”, was our full day tour and our passengers had the opportunity to visit the stunning Titanic Museum on Belfast docks made up of four ‘hull’ shaped sections which house the exhibition. The stories of passengers, crew and the heroes of the day were told in an exciting and modern way, it also included a ‘virtual visit’ to the wreck at her resting place on the floor of the North Atlantic.

The “Mountains of Mourne” tour also proved very popular and included a visit to the highest mountains in Northern Ireland and the province of Ulster, an area of outstanding natural beauty and partly owned by the National Park in Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile the locals of Warrenpoint REALLY pulled out all the stops for those who just wished to take the short stroll into the charming little town. All sorts of festivities had been put in place from live bands, Irish dancing, local food markets, craft stalls, face painting (!) you name it they had done it!

For me it was a chance to welcome onboard the local dignitaries including the Mayor and I took the opportunity to thank them all, together with the people of Warrenpoint, for making us feel so welcome. As I mentioned to them I am quite sure this will be the first of many visits we will make to their beautiful shores.

All to soon the time came to welcome everyone back onboard and cast off as we make our way back ‘home’ towards Dover. Unbelievably it appeared as if even more locals had came out to view our departure and with bands playing, people cheering and the ship’s whistle at full blast we made our way back out through the Lough and into the Irish Sea. A truly fabulous end to a fabulous cruise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 am 

Reading this makes me so proud of our wee town............It wasn't just a boat,it was an opportunity for us to welcome strangers to our Warrenpoint,and hopefully it won't be long until we get to do it all again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:01 am 

:iagree: :cheers: